Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Po172 Fault Code, Afm Or Lamda?

Hogie

Hi Guy,

Haven't post in awhile but hopefully you wont hold that against me. I wonder can someone help me with a little info. I had PO172 flash up this evening on the way home from work, fuel trim to rich. I suspect either the AFM or the lamda/02sensor. I had a look at the output from the lamda, the voltage range was between 0.04 and 0.845 and was switching normally rich to lean while holding the rpm at 2500. Coolant temp was 87 so not far off completely warmed up. I've reset the MIL and believe this fault code is diagnosed over two cycles.

The car was running fine this morning, its not burning any more fuel, filled it this evening. It had done 370 mile to 45lites!! It did feel a little hesitant but if the MIL light was off I dont think I would have noticed it in the traffic.

Okay so first question, does anyone know is this voltage range within spec for the 2ZZ GE? I thought 0.04 was a little low but then it would be running lean right?

Secondly has anyone had this fault code come up before and what did they replace to cure it?

Hope you can help. All input appreciated.

Rich

It had done 370 mile to 45lites!!

:blink: astonishing MPG. That must be 80% motorway? I don't think I've ever managed more than 280 from a tank.

It had done 370 mile to 45lites!!

:blink: astonishing MPG. That must be 80% motorway? I don't think I've ever managed more than 280 from a tank.

No its not. I drive from Harrow to Heathrow everyday so it stop start for a bit with the engine cold but when I get on the A40 I tip along at about 50-55mph.

I had a ceased calliper on the front which I had replaced lately. This is only the second tank but the MPG has improved dramatically. I do take it quite easy, dont rally have a choice with the traffic.

• 1 month later...

Well turns out it was the Lamda. I changed it shortly after my first post and the light has been off since. May help some other people if they ever come across the same problem.