Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen3 Prius Lpg Conversions

Grumpy Cabbie

With petrol prices continuing their upward trend and despite my reduced costs from having a Prius I have been considering an lpg conversion. I know from the US Prius forums that some European owners have successfully converted their Gen2's to lpg using a standard system and a circular tank in the spare wheel well. Does this system transfer to a Gen3 Prius?

Has anyone on here got any experience of lpg for a Prius or any useful experiences or comments to add. I am aware of some of the negatives attributed to lpg as a fair few of my colleagues run petrol/lpg non hybrid cars, but an lpg conversion would give me the cost savings of running an 80/90 mpg car (I get 50 mpg on petrol and lpg is half the cost). It's also cleaner running and produces less smog.

Would also like to hear what the other Prius cabbies think on this.

Hi I looked into this and was told the major problem was the stop start system on the Gen 3, LPG conversions have to start on petrol then auto turn over to gas after about 30 seconds some after market systems you do this manually. If they have got round this I would be very interested as the loss of the wheelbarrow tyre as a spare is no great loss.

Hi It seems GasPower Uk Ltd has done a Prius conversion http://gaspoweruk.co.uk/v3/lpgconversions/toyota_prius-t_1.8_2010/toyota_prius-t_1.8_2010_gallery_004.html I will have to enquire about price and see if I can contact owner of Prius to see if it works well

A previous multi-point injection LPG system I had was about £2k upfront. In our area LPG is currently about 50p/L less than unleaded, fuel consumption does go up a little. So I guess it all depends on how it calculates for you.

I've had LPG since early 90's in normal cars, and even in the early multi-point injection systems I'm pretty certain I had a system that only starts on Petrol on a cold engine, thereafter it is lpg all the way. No idea how it works with a stop/start system. I had a Golf stop/start in the mid 90's but that was a diesel and I didn't put LPG on that.

Hi GC,

I've only ever once looked inside a car with an LPG conversion. That was in the Netherlands, where LPG is more common. The big no-no from my point of view, was that he lost the left half of the boot to a less than sympathetically installed LPG gas tank.

That's why I would only ever consider a tank in the spare wheel well. That way I would still have all my boot useable.

It is a really old way of doing it with a big tank like that. Even mine 16 years ago in Holland had it hidden away. Partial replacement of the fuel tank for example totally hidden from view.

• 2 years later...

Hi grumpie cabby. I currently have Vauxhall astra which runs on lpg . It is excellent, but talking about an LPG conversion for a Toyota Prius. A LPG installer in Birmingham did a conversion a 59 plate t-spirit Prius. The cost of the conversion was £1000 complete with two year warranty on the LPG system. The owner seem to be very happy. If looked very weird to see a Toyota Prius queueing for LPG. If you need more info let me know. The garage is called Birmingham Auto gas. Star city Birmingham. He is a certified installer and highly recommended. I am thinking about buying a Prius and will definetly convert to LPG.

I part exchanged my 10 1.6 Nissan Note running on LPG for the Yaris HSD and I have run several LPG converted vehicles and still own one a 03 Xtrail 2.5 auto. So I know a a bit about LPG.

My concern is as Iain's. I guess the stop start would be a big problem with the systems I have owned. Engines

do not start easily on LPG. You'll need to change the plugs as LPG eats platinum ones..you need irridium.

Second having paid thousands out in valve and head repairs last year, I urge you if you do go ahead. Flashlube. Go google flashlube BTW Flashlube is very expensive stuff. I thought ~I didn't need it. But I was wrong Japanese engines do need it. LPG is a great way of running a big thirsty car for around two thirds the fuel cost of unleaded. But factor in lpg system services, Flashlube and spotty LPG supply and being banned from the chunnel..well I leave it up to you. you have to have a very specific set of circumstances to make it work for you.

As for me I do 18K a year. Pass four LPG garages every day and it worked for me. Cept I spent £43 a week on LPG. Plus the starter petrol extra servicing and flashlube and I reckon my cost was about £47 a week. Now I am excluding the horrid valve head disaster I had. I do the same motoring in the Yaris HSD for £37 a week, Other savings is the VED on the Note was £140 a year versus er Zero. So I am saving a few quid in running costs. To save that I spent 13K to change...that could have bought a lot of LPG couldn't it. So you cannot justify my change on financial grounds at all. TBH i just fancied a change the Note had racked up quite a lot of miles and a new model was coming out. So I changed.

Anyway to the OP's Prius....my advice is just don't do it. It's hard to justify financially and IMO you'll just open yourself up to a lot of issues.

• Like 1

I part exchanged my 10 1.6 Nissan Note running on LPG for the Yaris HSD and I have run several LPG converted vehicles and still own one a 03 Xtrail 2.5 auto. So I know a a bit about LPG.

My concern is as Iain's. I guess the stop start would be a big problem with the systems I have owned. Engines

do not start easily on LPG. You'll need to change the plugs as LPG eats platinum ones..you need irridium.

Second having paid thousands out in valve and head repairs last year, I urge you if you do go ahead. Flashlube. Go google flashlube BTW Flashlube is very expensive stuff. I thought ~I didn't need it. But I was wrong Japanese engines do need it. LPG is a great way of running a big thirsty car for around two thirds the fuel cost of unleaded. But factor in lpg system services, Flashlube and spotty LPG supply and being banned from the chunnel..well I leave it up to you. you have to have a very specific set of circumstances to make it work for you.

As for me I do 18K a year. Pass four LPG garages every day and it worked for me. Cept I spent £43 a week on LPG. Plus the starter petrol extra servicing and flashlube and I reckon my cost was about £47 a week. Now I am excluding the horrid valve head disaster I had. I do the same motoring in the Yaris HSD for £37 a week, Other savings is the VED on the Note was £140 a year versus er Zero. So I am saving a few quid in running costs. To save that I spent 13K to change...that could have bought a lot of LPG couldn't it. So you cannot justify my change on financial grounds at all. TBH i just fancied a change the Note had racked up quite a lot of miles and a new model was coming out. So I changed.

Anyway to the OP's Prius....my advice is just don't do it. It's hard to justify financially and IMO you'll just open yourself up to a lot of issues.

Thanks for the useful information... I was considering something along the LPG lines and had been wondering how this might work with a prius. The information about the lubricant and the plugs is something which isnt so well publicised and I hadnt considered. I am not so interested in LPG now.:)

• 5 weeks later...

hi if you guys are interested theres a local company which only runs gen 2 and gen 3 prius which are all lpg converted and can convert your prius at a competitive rate