Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Avensis?

grantwoody

Hi, just wondered if any of you guys could give me a bit of advice.

I'm in the market for a dependable family car after paying through the nose over the last five years due to a highly problematic VW Golf.

The Avensis has been recommended to me and I'm looking for a second-hand one that's around four years old. The only question is whether I go for the petrol 1.8 VVT-i or a diesel 2.0 D-4D T180 or D-4D TR, or a 2.2 D-4D T3-X or D-4D T4.

I'll probably do around 10,000 miles a year in it but the main thing I'm looking for is reliability and cheap maintenance costs.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hello

I have just gone through the same decision this weekend and have just purchased a '57 plate 1.8 VVTi TR.

I researched first and the impression I got (and someone on here pointed out to me) is that the diesel may not be as reliable as the petrol due t possible head gasket problems. I am also not a fan of the way diesels drive and my husband thinks they are too complicated (turbo's, EGR valves, DPF etc etc) to be trusted. A petrol engine is simpler.

We did test drive a T180 powered Verso. It is faster than 1.8 petrol but the petrol car is more economical. I also found the T180 still needed to change down a gear to accelerate from cruising speed in top (although it does have 6 gears). Not having to downshift is supposed to be an advantage in a diesel.

If I wanted a diesel I wouldn't have the T180 (but remember this is only my impression from the test drive.. I haven't owned one!)

You are planning to do more miles a year than me. I may only manage around 6000 in which case a diesel is not going to return me any savings. 10000 miles is possibly worth a diesel, I'm not really sure - I think it's pretty much even either way

Hope that helps :)

Hi, just wondered if any of you guys could give me a bit of advice.

I'm in the market for a dependable family car after paying through the nose over the last five years due to a highly problematic VW Golf.

The Avensis has been recommended to me and I'm looking for a second-hand one that's around four years old. The only question is whether I go for the petrol 1.8 VVT-i or a diesel 2.0 D-4D T180 or D-4D TR, or a 2.2 D-4D T3-X or D-4D T4.

I'll probably do around 10,000 miles a year in it but the main thing I'm looking for is reliability and cheap maintenance costs.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hello, Personally I think the best one is a 2007> 2.0D4D this car has reliability and economy .... a 2008 TR is nice but which ever one make sure it has full Toyota service history, has 3 keys and the satnav dvd with the car and one owner low mileage would be a bonus.

Pete

Thanks to you both for the advice so far. If you don't mind me asking Mrs Spider, how much did you pay for your car?

I'm looking at an ex-fleet '07 1.8 VVT-i with 60,000 on the clock. They're asking for just over £5,500.

£8,500 with 35K. I could have had a black one without satnav for 8 but my Alfa is black and the hard water makes it impossible to wash! I didn't really want the satnav but I wanted black even less. I am sure I have paid over the odds. For some reason I always do lol. But when I looked on autotrader my area always seems to be more expensive than the rest of the country!

Well competition is b/w

1.8VVTi V/S 2.0 D-4D.

T2, T3, T4 and TR totally varies according to your need and availability when buying second hand.

Depending on 10000 mileages/365 days, diesel is not going to save a lot, and with complexities of diesel and price difference when buying.

Although I drive diesel and love it, but comparing mileages, prices diff b/w diesel vs petrol and petrol being less complicated, I would opt for 1.8VVTi. (TR so that I'll get full specs.)

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

difficult to decide whether petrol or diesel is better unless we know what sort of driving you tend to do. I do Bristol - Dover - Bristol 12 times a year so for me its diesel all the way. Plodding along at an indicated 75 -80mph returns 50 - 55 mpg. Last set of tyres lasted 27k miles (going steady through corners helps a lot!). If you do lot of town driving petrol may be better.

As for reliability vs maintenance costs, my 10k service is a DIY oil & filter change (£60 DIY vs £105 in the dealer). A set of plugs will cost what? £25?

At the end of the day you should buy what you are happy with. The world is full of people (like me) who will be only too happy to tell you what you should have bought. Its your car. If you are happy with it, then stuff us lot.

As others have said depends on your driving style and how many miles and how much around town stuff you do. If you are mostly doing town stuff then get the petrol or look at the auris either petrol or the small 1.4 diesel if you do a few longer motorway stints

Personally from your list I woulds say get a T180 or at least the 2.2TR that way you get top spec fixtures and fitting and what I think is a sweet engine.

I have the T180 tourer (estate) and Im going to be sad next month when I change jobs and probably have to sell it cos of the work policy on having to have a works car and Reading councils policy on permit parking grrrrrr.

Its a cracking car spot on for cruising around, bags of room for family stuff, mines been dead reliable. Cant knock all the nice bits, full european sat nav comfty seats , great sounds system, dual climate, auto dimming rear mirror and when you put your foot down will quite happily go like stink. On the autobahns last year it was happy at 125-130mph full loaded and dead stable.

Mrs spider said about having to drop a gear, I would say she possibly driving in the wrong gear? the in gear acceration in the 2.2 is certain to put a smile on your face, it does mine. I very rarely have to drop a cog to over take. The gf enjoys driving my t180 she likes how it picks up better then her 1.4 Auris for motor way over taking.

Only thing I would say is make sure you clean the egr valve at least every 10K. As for the rest front tyres do about 25k before changing Rears do about 40K. Service isnt that expensive.

The 2.0 gives the best mpg, but i still normally get 40+ mpg in mine on longer journeys. If i do around town stuff it drops to 35-40 depending on traffic and weather. But like druid says its your car youve got to drive it so you got to be happy with it.

Mrs spider said about having to drop a gear, I would say she possibly driving in the wrong gear? the in gear acceration in the 2.2 is certain to put a smile on your face, it does mine. I very rarely have to drop a cog to over take. The gf enjoys driving my t180 she likes how it picks up better then her 1.4 Auris for motor way over taking.

I completely respect that you are much more qualified to comment as you own one and I only took one for a test drive (with the caveat that people who actually own a car have a natural subconscious tendency to bias in its favour..)

But how could I be in the wrong gear? I was doing a top gear (6th) roll on test. How many top gears has it got?

Of course, compared to a 1.4 Auris you could probably pull away from a standstill in 6th and still beat the Auris... :)

Edited by Mrs Spider

Of course, compared to a 1.4 Auris you could probably pull away from a standstill in 6th and still beat the Auris... :)

Best part :D

But how could I be in the wrong gear? I was doing a top gear (6th) roll on test. How many top gears has it got?

I think that he means by being in top at an inappropriate speed for the gearing.

6th is really only for cruising @60mph plus.

I think that he means by being in top at an inappropriate speed for the gearing.

6th is really only for cruising @60mph plus.

Spot on. IMO I woulds say that 6th is more for crusing at 70-75mph upwards if not a smidge higher. Driving round the local NSL A roads I dont go above 5th, often if theres a bit of traffic i dont go above 4th.

Mrs spider theres nothing subconscious about my bias for the avensis T180 :) I know Ive got a sweet spot for it. But around town and the twisty local roads i prefer the auris right up until i need to over take and then i want the avensis back.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

On the balance of things I've decided to go with the petrol 1.8 VVT-i as I tend to do a lot of town/short-distance driving.

It's an ex-fleet '07 model with 60,000 on the clock. They're asking just over £5,500 which having looked around a bit seems pretty reasonable.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I view the car?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

On the balance of things I've decided to go with the petrol 1.8 VVT-i as I tend to do a lot of town/short-distance driving.

It's an ex-fleet '07 model with 60,000 on the clock. They're asking just over £5,500 which having looked around a bit seems pretty reasonable.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I view the car?

Sounds ok to me, what trim level is it, T3, T4 etc?

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links