Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Boot Light In My Aygo At Last!

ianblue

There are a number of niggles I have with my Aygo, but the first one I have sorted is the lack of a boot light. This has been annoying me for some time now, opening the boot on a dark night and feeling around or finding a torch.

I see some have fitted an LED light which certainly is a quick fix but I just don't like the idea of having to renew batteries when the car has a ready made supply of 12 volts.

Anyhow I bought a door courtesy switch ( would not recommend this switch now) See post below.and a number plate light from Halfords around £7. It took me about 15 mins to fit and the light tucks away quite nicely at the side of the boot. See attached pics

Next on my list:

Passenger door courtesy switch

Glovebox light

Drivers seat relocation after allowing rear passengers in and out.

post-88909-0-11055200-1298897689_thumb.j

post-88909-0-31419000-1298897741_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I put this boot light light in a few weeks ago but to be honest I was not really happy with the courtesy switch sticking out and looking rather vulnerable. Anyway the inevitable happened. When my other half was loading in the shopping at the supermarket the bag caught on the switch and brke it!

So back to the drawing board and now a much better idea.

The switch is now completely concealed within the lock.

A small micro switch is fixed to a home-made bracket and secured directly underneath the lock. A hole is drilled through beneath the lock to allow the microswitch paddle to protrude up inside the lock.

The lock mechanism moves laterally and switches the light on and off. It works perfectly and completely invisible.

Now footwell lighting or was parking sensors next?

• 9 months later...

Do you have photo of your boot light micro switch in place?

i wish i knew what to do to get a boot light the far is so fustrating with no boot light:( sick of using a torch on my keys haha :euro:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i wish i knew what to do to get a boot light the far is so fustrating with no boot light:( sick of using a torch on my keys haha :euro:

Sorry I've been away for a long time.

I installed the boot light a year ago and it still works perfectly.

You will require a micro switch (Maplin) I had to extend the paddle as you would probably have to do. I cut a piece from a tin can and soldered this to extend the paddle.

I also made a small right angled bracket to support the switch.

The switch is located underneath the lock and the paddle protrudes up through a hole into the lock.

This makes the whole thing invisible.

Now if some kind person can remind me how to attach the photos I will do so.

I have just been reading another post concerning "puddle lights" and I must confess I had never heard of them, neither had the chap in Halfords!

But these were eventually located and purchsed.

Great wee things. Although I have already installed a boot light the addition of these on the deckhead would illuminate the whole area when the back seats were down and would also bring some much welcome light to bear on the back seat area when the seat backs are not down.

I applied a little self adhesive velcro pad to the back of the light. Then made a small hole through the roof lining . Then by pulling away the rubber tailgate seal threaded the wire through. It was a simple task to route the cable concealed down to my existing boot light to connect in parallel. I also link it through to the door switch so as to operate when the doors are opened. (2 door)

post-88909-0-58561700-1332702072_thumb.j

Great work! Nice write up and very knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing. Ive heard of "puddle lights" and seen them fixed under car mirrors so when the driver walks to their car at night the lights come one and show you there arent any puddles whilst getting into the car at night.

Wish I had the same amount of knowledge in fitting lights.

• 1 year later...

To save drilling holes in the car I use a reed switch in the rubber seal and small magnet stuck to the tail gate, the boot is lifted the switch opens the circuit and the light come on...

Simples ;)

• 2 years later...

Lots of helpful advice.... 

Just one query,  can someone tell me the best place to get positive power that will remain one when the ignition is off? I have the lights, earth and a reed switch, just need the power!

Thanks in advance 

• 3 months later...

A small micro switch is fixed to a home-made bracket and secured directly underneath the lock. A hole is drilled through beneath the lock to allow the microswitch paddle to protrude up inside the lock.

• 2 weeks later...

i was going to use a tilt switch fastened to the plate on the tailgate where the wiring and the hinge is

Post some pictures when you're done Eygo, I'd like to see that....

None too keen on the drilling idea, but the tilt switch would be a nice solution!

sorry i cant as we dont have the aygo any more,i would of used a mercery tilt switch as they are small and could be put in shrink tubing to diguise them

obviously the contacts would have to be facing the  top of the tailgate so when the tailgate is opened the contacts would be bridged.