Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Noisy Timing Chain

geezuz170

Hi, I have a 2000 Avensis 1.8 vvti auto. It has developed a loud rattling noise on the left hand side of the engine. It has got worse over the last couple of weeks. Originally my friend thought it was the power steering pump, but he removed the belt and it still makes the noise when running. Also the red oil light keeps coming on and off, I checked the oil level and it is fine. Also the engine managment light came on for a couple of days but has now gone off. I took the car to my local garage and he told me it was the timing chain making the noise. He said I should flush the engine and change the oil first as oil pressure controls the tensioners on the chain. When he remover the oil cap there was black gunky bits on the inside of the cap. any ideas guys?

I think the oil pressure light will be related to the timing chain problem, as the pump is usually driven from the chain. It could also possbily be the pump itself making the rattling noise or the chain tensioner could have failed.

I'd be surprised if an oil change fixed it to be honest, and I wouldn't drive the car anywhere until it's sorted.

We flushed the engine today and you were right, still the same. What was interesting though is, When i first started the car today it was'nt making the noise, but as soon as i removed the oil cap the started instantly. This makes me think its pressure related. It making me think oil pump. Looks like left side of the engine will be coming off!

We flushed the engine today and you were right, still the same. What was interesting though is, When i first started the car today it was'nt making the noise, but as soon as i removed the oil cap the started instantly. This makes me think its pressure related. It making me think oil pump. Looks like left side of the engine will be coming off!

the only thing i can think of is that when taking the oil filler cap off you releasing the crankcase pressure to the atmosphers,i earlier cars the crankcase breather used vent tthrough a small pipe to outside the engine.

now we have laws on emmisions the crankcase pressure is recycled through inlet side.

if you block off this crankcase breather,pressure will build up in the crankcase.ive seen cases were its pushsd the the dipstick up anough to force oil out of the tube,and other major oil leaks. cant see why the noise appears after cap is removed.

if the pressure on the sump oil is that high,and this is only a guess,that at times it is pushing the oil away from the pumb.i dont know where the breather hoses are on your engine are but thats the first thing to check.

the black sludge like mess you found in the filler cap could be blocking the breather/hoses.

when i was with british raili had a case of an diesel engine change on a rail car.

the oil filler was not on top of the engine,but came off the top of the crankcase.

the crankcase breathers were two pipes off each rocker covers.

after the engines were overhauled,they were sprayed with a paint,the breather pipes had masking tape put on them to stop the paint going up the pipes and into the rocker covers.on this engine the tape had not been removed for some reason.

so when this engine was started up the oil was forced up the filler pipe and blew the filler pipe cap gasket.

these engines were supposed to be fully tested before despached.this one was not.

I had a similar problem with a volvo s70, due to negligence the breather system got blocked, but the caused the engine to shut down, it had to go to volvo for a £650 repair. I hope this is not the case with my Avensis.

Can you hear any slapping noises as well as the rattling? As that could indicate a knackered tensioner.

As you say though, you're gonna have to take the left side of the engine off I'm afraid.

hope you get this problem soted without too much expense.

its funny (well not realy)that the noise appears after taking off the oil filler cap.

when you do get it sorted,can you post what the cause was,and what you did to fix it.

ive noticed in the short time ive joined toc,that some members post asking advice on something or other but fail to post about how they overcome their problem,and what caused it in the first place.

it would help others with simuler faults with their cars if they gave this information.

When I get it sorted I will post on here what the problem was. I find the same problem with all car forums.

I am not sure if these engines have a hydraulic chain tensioned, but you have low oil pressure indicated by you red light which could also not be tensioning the chain.

I'm pretty sure when I saw one of the workshop manuals for the VVTi that the tensioner can be changed without taking the chain cover off. It looked like it was on a spring loaded ratchet. I may be wrong though.

Thanks Guys, my local mechanic said the tensioners were hydrolicly controlled, but he did'nt want to get involved with job. Thats why I think it could be the oil pump or the engine has a lot of sludge in it.