Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Warning Light

Allyjon

Hi all

last week the orange engine warning light came on my 53 plate avensis, worried I took it to a garage i trust (not mr T). They reset it and told me that it came up with a lambda sensor for the exhaust and told me to go away and use the car as it could be just a glitch or water getting on the sensor. The car runs fine with no noticeable loss of performance. After 4 days and several miles it's just come back on. Apparently these sensors cost around the 200 pounds mark. Another point is that my avensis t spirit 2ltr is one of the recall ones but as yet no word from mr T.

Has anyone got any advice? Should I get the sensor replaced, wait for mr T to do the recall work or buy a reader as some have done and reset it myself as I was charged 27 quid for the reading and reset before....any views would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Al

Hi all

last week the orange engine warning light came on my 53 plate avensis, worried I took it to a garage i trust (not mr T). They reset it and told me that it came up with a lambda sensor for the exhaust and told me to go away and use the car as it could be just a glitch or water getting on the sensor. The car runs fine with no noticeable loss of performance. After 4 days and several miles it's just come back on. Apparently these sensors cost around the 200 pounds mark. Another point is that my avensis t spirit 2ltr is one of the recall ones but as yet no word from mr T.

Has anyone got any advice? Should I get the sensor replaced, wait for mr T to do the recall work or buy a reader as some have done and reset it myself as I was charged 27 quid for the reading and reset before....any views would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Al

Reading and keep deleting will affect other things on your car negatively. You should look for its solution. Toyota recalled cars for different reason and not for lambda sensor.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

:thumbsup:

Had same issue on my 20vvti.

About 2 years ago engine warning light came on. Mr T diagnosed lambda sensor and reset diagnostic. They said sometimes they can get false readings so if happened again then it would need attention.

Recently it came on, went off came on went off etc. Mr T said it was the ECU which read data from the lambda sensors. they tested the lambda sensors and said they were working fine. They replaced module under extended warranty and problem has gone away. I noticed on the extended warranty invoice that the module cost £880 +vat. They also said it was a known issue since it was a modified unit that they fitted.

Also I've had my recall note last week. Need to book in.

Hi all

Cheers

Al

Reading and keep deleting will affect other things on your car negatively. You should look for its solution. Toyota recalled cars for different reason and not for lambda sensor.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

I agree. Replacing the sensor is possibly not the answer. It is easy to replace them one by one and then megga £££ dent in your wallet. Did they Advise you what the fault code was and the possible cause?

You can buy a code reader for less than £27 on eBay. Then you can find out the code for yourself next time.

You can buy a code reader for less than £27 on Ebay. Then you can find out the code for yourself next time.

Well, funily enough I got into the car yesterday and the engine light had disappeared? Now is it a faulty connection, can it self reset? Or is there some other wizardry going on here.

Have looked at several code readers and still not sure which to buy....any suggestions for a 2ltr avensis T spirit on a 53 plate?

Still awaiting recall letter from mr T.

You can buy a code reader for less than £27 on Ebay. Then you can find out the code for yourself next time.

Well, funily enough I got into the car yesterday and the engine light had disappeared? Now is it a faulty connection, can it self reset? Or is there some other wizardry going on here.

Have looked at several code readers and still not sure which to buy....any suggestions for a 2ltr avensis T spirit on a 53 plate?

Still awaiting recall letter from mr T.

IT depends how you want to use. If you want to hook it with your laptop or phone, and you are very good with gadgets then ELM327 is something which you should be looking.

But if you want isolated code reader which does not require any additional stuff like laptop or phone, get U480.

And you know that e-bay is best place ;)

Well today after several hundred miles the orange engine warning light came back on...again the car runs perfectly....maybe it is a fauly connection and the potholes don't help!

I shall be looking on eBay later.....oh joy.

Well today after several hundred miles the orange engine warning light came back on...again the car runs perfectly....maybe it is a fauly connection and the potholes don't help!

I shall be looking on ebay later.....oh joy.

Well I connected the code reader and it came up with p0031 which apparently is the bank 1 sensor 1 before the cat. Research suggests that the heater for the sensor is either faulty or could be a poor wiring connection.- how easy is it to locate and test this? Also does anyone know a price for these sensors? I think I read somewhere that its advisable to replace the sensors in pairs. Is this correct?

The MOT is due in may, would it fail the emissions test if left?

Many thanks in anticipation

Al

Should be checked:

1.Open in heater circuit of heated oxygen sensor

2.Heated oxygen sensor heater

3.EFI relay

4.EFI fuse

5.EFI No. 2 fuse

6.ECM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links