Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lumpy Idle, Poor Mpg, Smokey Exhaust - Solved!

svennard

Right now I'm a very happy RAV4 driver;

I bought my 2006 18 months ago with 29k on the clock. I don't do a lot of miles - only 6k in this time. Whilst I love the car, I've always been a bit unhappy with the running of it. It's alway been a bit lumpy on tick over - particularly around 1500-1800rpm. It's alway been a bit smokey too - some days more than others. The engine is quite 'knocky' on tick over and under load. I expected to get a bit better economy - on an urban run I'm lucky to get 27-28mpg, thats if I drive it conservatively.

Anyway, over the last six months its got gradually more noticeable. I've done all the usual - new oil, filters (all of them), run numerous injector cleaners through, but no improvement.

I just happened to read a couple of posts mentioning the EGR (exhaust gas regulator/recirculator) as being the possible offending item; Well, nothing to lose I thought - easy to get to in front of the injector rail, so I decided to have a look - glad I did! the whole unit was completely clogged up with carbon - not just a covering, I mean full to the brim. Absolutely no way it could work. 15 mins to take the unit off, an hour to clean it out with a carburetor spray.

All I can say is - amazing. The car is transformed. I started the engine to one last puff of smoke in the system - then no more smoke at all. The tick over is now smooth through the rev range, no lumps.

Test drive - again, so different - no knocking on pull away -and now I can hear the turbo whistling away. The car is more responsive, smoother and more efficient.

I did my same drive to work and back -15mins. My urban MPG has gone up from 27 to 38, just like that.

This is a low mileage 2006 RAV4 with only 35k on the clock and the EGR was completely blocked, not allowing the gases to be re-burnt,the engine to breathe, or the turbo to work properly - I must have bought it like this - if you've got similar problems, this could well be your issue - forget the injectors!

I just have to solve the knocking steering now...(but I know what that is) toyota have acknowledged a design flaw with the 2006 - see technical bulletin feb 2008 if you have this problem too, or ask me

Well done. For what the difference costs, be sure to use high grade diesel and you will hear the difference :thumbsup:

• Like 1

well done matey

Cheers/Igor :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

An update to my last.

The EGR valve clean out worked for a few days and then back to the lumpy, noisy, smoky runnings.

Just posted up under another topic, but this is important.

Took mine into dealership last tues. The guy rang me in the afternoon and said it needed new pistons, valves, seals, head gasket, and injectors!!!

Toyota has recognised a flaw in the 4.3 engine design, causing a backup of carbon to damage the head (carbon imprinting..?) sorry not technical. I was told £3.5k of work required.

Toyota has extended their warranty to cover this for vehicles up to five years old. They did all the work and I got it back yesterday. It is like a new car. MPG up from 29 to 42mpg extra urban.

They have put revised pistons in that allow the gases to flow, meaning that no clogging of the engine and subsequent build up of carbon in the EGR (which by that point the damage is done) it explains why the cleaning of the EGR worked, but only for a few days.

All of this work was covered and free of charge!!!!

If you have a 4.3 (mines a 56 plate with 36k) and you have; 'diesel knock', lumpy running, poor economy and /or smoky engine - get in touch with Toyota. A can of fuel cleaner will not solve this one.hope this helps, Svennard

• Like 1

An update to my last.

The EGR valve clean out worked for a few days and then back to the lumpy, noisy, smoky runnings.

Just posted up under another topic, but this is important.

Took mine into dealership last tues. The guy rang me in the afternoon and said it needed new pistons, valves, seals, head gasket, and injectors!!!

Toyota has recognised a flaw in the 4.3 engine design, causing a backup of carbon to damage the head (carbon imprinting..?) sorry not technical. I was told £3.5k of work required.

Toyota has extended their warranty to cover this for vehicles up to five years old. They did all the work and I got it back yesterday. It is like a new car. MPG up from 29 to 42mpg extra urban.

They have put revised pistons in that allow the gases to flow, meaning that no clogging of the engine and subsequent build up of carbon in the EGR (which by that point the damage is done) it explains why the cleaning of the EGR worked, but only for a few days.

All of this work was covered and free of charge!!!!

If you have a 4.3 (mines a 56 plate with 36k) and you have; 'diesel knock', lumpy running, poor economy and /or smoky engine - get in touch with Toyota. A can of fuel cleaner will not solve this one.hope this helps, Svennard

Now thats what I cal a result. I know how it feels as I had to have a new engine fitted by Mr T at a cost of £6500. Well done Toyota again I think here for covering the cost :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm a very happy RAV4 driver;

I bought my 2006 18 months ago with 29k on the clock. I don't do a lot of miles - only 6k in this time. Whilst I love the car, I've always been a bit unhappy with the running of it. It's alway been a bit lumpy on tick over - particularly around 1500-1800rpm. It's alway been a bit smokey too - some days more than others. The engine is quite 'knocky' on tick over and under load. I expected to get a bit better economy - on an urban run I'm lucky to get 27-28mpg, thats if I drive it conservatively.

Anyway, over the last six months its got gradually more noticeable. I've done all the usual - new oil, filters (all of them), run numerous injector cleaners through, but no improvement.

I just happened to read a couple of posts mentioning the EGR (exhaust gas regulator/recirculator) as being the possible offending item; Well, nothing to lose I thought - easy to get to in front of the injector rail, so I decided to have a look - glad I did! the whole unit was completely clogged up with carbon - not just a covering, I mean full to the brim. Absolutely no way it could work. 15 mins to take the unit off, an hour to clean it out with a carburetor spray.

All I can say is - amazing. The car is transformed. I started the engine to one last puff of smoke in the system - then no more smoke at all. The tick over is now smooth through the rev range, no lumps.

Test drive - again, so different - no knocking on pull away -and now I can hear the turbo whistling away. The car is more responsive, smoother and more efficient.

I did my same drive to work and back -15mins. My urban MPG has gone up from 27 to 38, just like that.

This is a low mileage 2006 RAV4 with only 35k on the clock and the EGR was completely blocked, not allowing the gases to be re-burnt,the engine to breathe, or the turbo to work properly - I must have bought it like this - if you've got similar problems, this could well be your issue - forget the injectors!

I just have to solve the knocking steering now...(but I know what that is) toyota have acknowledged a design flaw with the 2006 - see technical bulletin feb 2008 if you have this problem too, or ask me

Hi, I am new to the forum. I was just reading your post on the design fault with the steering on the 2006 RAV4. Every time i go over a bump, i like someting is loose, doesnt seem to happen whilst driving, its more when turning and slow speed.

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Richard

Hi, I am new to the forum. I was just reading your post on the design fault with the steering on the 2006 RAV4. Every time i go over a bump, i like someting is loose, doesnt seem to happen whilst driving, its more when turning and slow speed.

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Richard

Either intermediate shaft, loose rack securing bolts or front leg upper mount. I can only find TSB PDFs for two of these. Just had the upper mount fix done on mine and it has got rid of the low speed manouevering knock.

Welcome to the club by the way :thumbsup:

Ah Ha, found the other PDF

Steering knock TSB.pdf

4.3 steering knock from loose bolts1.pdf

4.3 knocking from suspension strut1.pdf

I'd like to thank Svennard for this thread...

After reading it I took my 06 Rav4 T180 down to my local dealer as I have never been able to get my mpg above 30 no matter how carefully I drive it. He has just called me to confirm that they will need the car for 3days to take the engine out with a view to replacing the pistons with the 2009 design... He also mentioned that one of my injectors was 'out of specification' and this would also be replaced.

My car was registered on 26.05.06 and as such it is just over 5years old, to my relief the dealer confirmed that Toyota have now released new guidlines which extend the warranty on this fault to 7 years!!! Phew!!!

I'll post back when the work is done and let you know the improvement in my mpg....

atb Tom

**I've just been at picked up my car and booked it in for the 20th June to have the work done. They confirmed that they will replace pistons, egr valve, head gasket and all four injectors (which cost £388each) all under warranty.

Apparently all they did today was unbolt the egr valve, take a photo of the carbon buildup in the manifold and check my service history was upto date. Toyota released new guidelines in April which cover all of this...

Very happy.... :thumbsup:

Wow,

This looks like it could be of some use to me. We have a late 2006 56 plate T180. I have the knocking sound from the steering wheel when turning at slow speed. Also i am extremely dissapointed by the mpg as in the last 12 months i've owned it we have never had more than 29mpg. I therefore believe i have the same problem although haven't noticed any smoke or vibration from the engine. The thing that annoys me is i queried the mpg at my last service and they said everything was upto date. I don't think they even looked at the carbon build up possibility.

A question about the steering problem. Other people with the problem, was yours from the steering column area, and was that covered by extended warranty?

It helps if you can demonstrate that you complained about the steering during the warranty period but if not a well worded letter to Mr T explaining how this has got worse from INSIDE the warranty period :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links