Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lowering And Wheel Alignment

sheepscloth

Hi Guys

On Monday I will fit the new suspension ( Eibach pro springs and Bilstein B8 shocks).

This should lower the car approx 30mm.

Now the question is: Do I need to get the wheel alignment/geometry done afterward, or can I just fit the springs and drive away?

Logically the alignment/geometry will get altered by lowering the car, but according to the Toyota lowering guide attached, it isn't necessary, though it says that the headlights needs adjusting??

Am I missing something?

Lowering_E12_Corolla.pdf

lowering a car makes the wheels toe in, but it depends on how much they do this, id get it checked and if its within what toyota say it should be, then your ok, as for the headlights its because a 30mm drop may take it below mot standards so they have to put that in for legal reasons :thumbsup: probably dont care if you wreck your tyres lol

I got mine checked and changed out last week for £54 all in, my toe was off the scale!! I just need to change my front camber on the drives side

Drives soo much better :-)

I got mine checked and changed out last week for £54 all in, my toe was off the scale!! I just need to change my front camber on the drives side

Drives soo much better :-)

how much :eek: ?

i know the cost living is more down south but double the price of everywhere in manchester thats ridicolous

hope you carried the vaseline with you :lol:

thats cheap mate lol

I know another local company that charge £250.00!!!

your joking ,to do what exactly ? i think people are over estimating the job in hand here

1 rachet 1 guy + 10mins = job done

mine was 25quid even ,autocentre was only 31 or something when i asked them

Edited by pimpchez

wow that is expensive :ffs: im even further down south and used to live 5 mins from bas vagas lol and its not that much! 35 quid for 4 wheel laser alignment at my mates place :thumbsup: lol such any easy job to do cant believe they charged that much

£15 for laser 4 wheel alignment here or i think it's £30 at Kwik Fit (who aren't actually that quick)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys

I got my car lowered and went to get the wheels aligned.

On the way to the alignment centre I noticed that my steering wheel wasnt center anymore.

as the Rear suspension isn't adjustable the guy only hooked up the alignment equipment on the front and got everything dialed in.

I took the car for a test drive and though fine the steering wheel still wasnt centered.

I went back to the alignment guy and he hooked up the equipment to all 4 corners and found that the right rear was out of spec and caused the car to steer a little sideways.

He then adjusted the steering wheel to compensate for the rear, and the car drives fine now. It drives fine in a straight line and does not steer to one side or anything.

So as such it is OK, however i can not help thinking that something must have changed when I lowered the car as the steering wheel was dead center before the operation.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this before and is there really nothing that can be adjusted at the rear?

I got the same problem now.

But, have to admit, with my coilovers I screw them alot.

For the moment I'm going lower and lower, to see how low i can go for daily use.

And my steering wheel is also a little to the right :P

When I'm on the good height, I will also let the alignment be done, again :)

Grtz

Guys

I got my car lowered and went to get the wheels aligned.

On the way to the alignment centre I noticed that my steering wheel wasnt center anymore.

as the Rear suspension isn't adjustable the guy only hooked up the alignment equipment on the front and got everything dialed in.

I took the car for a test drive and though fine the steering wheel still wasnt centered.

I went back to the alignment guy and he hooked up the equipment to all 4 corners and found that the right rear was out of spec and caused the car to steer a little sideways.

He then adjusted the steering wheel to compensate for the rear, and the car drives fine now. It drives fine in a straight line and does not steer to one side or anything.

So as such it is OK, however i can not help thinking that something must have changed when I lowered the car as the steering wheel was dead center before the operation.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this before and is there really nothing that can be adjusted at the rear?

yer it happens ,glad you got it sorted

Lowering the car will effect wheel geometries, sometimes it can throw them out by miles.

Although the suspension on mine hasnt been touched and my passenger side rear wheel tracking is also out of tolerance (pointing outwards from what i can remember).

However it cant be adjusted and it isnt causing the tyre to wear out, so ive got no choice but to leave it

Even new tyres can afffect the steeting wheel.

I set up my tracking and centered the steering wheel i then got new tyres fitted and it was out.

I had to reset the steering wheel again.

Thanks Guys

Much more relaxed now.

Going to the Ring at Easter to put the new suspension to the test!!!!

Cheers