Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

95 Starlet Spark Plug Gap

dysan45

Hi everyone, i'm new to this fourm, figured where better to ask than a forum dedicated to starlets right!

Well I have a 95 Starlet EP82 4E-FE and recently decided to do some DIY maintenance work to save money I've managed to change rear wheel bearings and decided to try change the spark plugs now,

well I asked for plugs from my local auto parts dealer and he gave me NGK BKR5EYA-11 which are suppose to be 1.1mm gap says NGK Chart.

I asked but he said they are pre gapped from factory.

Issue is, isn't my plug gap suppose to be 0.8mm ?

The tag under my hood is mostly in Jap but I did make out .032 (0.8mm)

i'm comfused and not sure if to gap the new plugs anyways but I don't want to remove the old plugs first.

Please Help!

Well i ant shure about the 95.

Iv a 97, engine 1.3 4E-FE and it takes NGK BKR5EKB11 plugs with a 1.1 gap.

I changed mine a few weeks ago but the plug the auto shop gave me where not the ones lised, and the ones in the engine where differant again.

I used them anyway and changed the gap on the plugs to 1.1mm and they work jsut fine.

dont know if this is any help to you

Well i ant shure about the 95.

Iv a 97, engine 1.3 4E-FE and it takes NGK BKR5EKB11 plugs with a 1.1 gap.

I changed mine a few weeks ago but the plug the auto shop gave me where not the ones lised, and the ones in the engine where differant again.

I used them anyway and changed the gap on the plugs to 1.1mm and they work jsut fine.

dont know if this is any help to you

Firstly Thank you for posting a reply.

From what I have read here http://www.tercelreference.com/tercel_info/engine_info/engine_info.html#2nd%20gen%204E-FE

seems you have a 2nd gen 4E-FE that should also be 0.8mm gap,

so my conclusion so far is either that page info is wrong or maybe 4E-FE engins work well with either 0.8mm or 1.1mm

Wish more starlet owners would also reply.

dohertydeano is NGK BKR5EKB11 what's listed in your manual?

I ask because my car is pre owned and I don't have a manual to check plug info.

Do you really have the 4E-FE engine in the car? I have searched at different sites and all of them tells me that it is the 2E-FE engine until the end of 95.

If you are unsure of wich plugs you should have you could look at other models with the same engine, 4E-FE if it is that engine you have(Corolla E10 NGK BKR5EYA 0.8mm).

You could also try to look at other brands than NGK what they say.

This is a good site about spark plugs too.

www.sparkplugs.co.uk

Do you really have the 4E-FE engine in the car? I have searched at different sites and all of them tells me that it is the 2E-FE engine until the end of 95.

If you are unsure of wich plugs you should have you could look at other models with the same engine, 4E-FE if it is that engine you have(Corolla E10 NGK BKR5EYA 0.8mm).

You could also try to look at other brands than NGK what they say.

This is a good site about spark plugs too.

www.sparkplugs.co.uk

Thanks for joining this discussion BALIKBAYAN, now we're cooking with gasoline,lol.

I'm 100% sure it's a 4E-FE engine, the doubt I had was the plugs the parts store gave me, I e-mailed denso and they recommended their VK16 plug for my engine, well surprise surprise VK16 has a 0.8mm gap.

Now, from what what I've learned about the E' Series engines is that the 2E appeared in 1985, and was discontinued after 1998 in Starlet EP71, EP81, EP90

The 4E-FE were produced from 1989 until 1996 for EP81, EP82(what I have), EP85, EP91, EP95

But this is exactly why I need everyone who can contribute to join in on this discussion, it can help clear up this topics facts of foe's for any one else who may have similar concerns.

Also lastly, and I apologize if I am making my post's too long, someone suggested to me the reason 1.1mm also works is because a NEW plug will give good spark, but as it is already wide gap, with natural plug wear and assuming the engine has no other issues it will need to be changed out sooner than 0.8mm in identical engine conditions.

I'm just about sure now 0.8 is the way to go.

What do you guys think please? final conclusions needed

Thanks again!

I would go for the 0.8 gaped plugs. You had a sign in your car with 0.8, the 4E-FE engine in the Corolla use that gap and Denso recommended you those too.

The only EP8x with 4E-FE engine where sold in UK and Hong Kong outside Japan. That is why it is difficult to find the right plugs for your car.

I would go for the 0.8 gaped plugs. You had a sign in your car with 0.8, the 4E-FE engine in the Corolla use that gap and Denso recommended you those too.

The only EP8x with 4E-FE engine where sold in UK and Hong Kong outside Japan. That is why it is difficult to find the right plugs for your car.

I replaced the plugs on my 96 4efe cynos(same as starlet) and the gap was 0.8mm...used ngk plugs part NO. BKR5EYA and they had the exact same as the ones I removed. hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just to update everyone who helped me, plugs are installed and running perfect at 0.8mm :thumbsup:

Thanks again everybody, I'm solely into car audio installation, but it's nice to know there are people who are willing to help a mechanical novice like myself.

I was going to make front wheel bearings my next tackle but I was told those have to be pressed in so I'm not even trying that myself :ffs:

Thanks again, and I'll be sticking around to see what else I can learn from you guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the plugs on my 96 4efe cynos(same as starlet) and the gap was 0.8mm...used ngk plugs part NO. BKR5EYA and they had the exact same as the ones I removed. hope this helps

I actually did a test between 0.9 mm gap and 1.1 mm gap. 1.1 mm produced more torque across all range. Settled for 1.2 mm gap which gave the most power and did not experience misfiring all the way to redline. Did not bother going more as I don't want to over do it. Overdoing things is bad also.

This on a 4efe 1996 Starlet with cold induction and slightly more advanced timing but otherwise, stock for the rest.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links