Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Avensis - Rattle When Cold

talldave

1998 Avensis, 1.8, 7A-FE, Auto, 90,000 miles

When engine is cold and/or weather is cold I get a rattling noise. Could even be described as a 'chirping' noise. When the engine warms up and/or the weather warms up it is less obvious or even goes away (e.g doesn't happen when car has been driven for some miles/doesn't happen in the summer). It seems to occur then the engine is under load - i.e. I press the accelerator.

I took the car for an MOT today (pased first time of course - it always does). They suggested it could be the inside of the CAT breaking up. Does this sound likely? Anyone else had this problem?

Using a common garden plant sprayer thingy, spray some warm water on your alternator dive belt....has the "chirping" noise gone? Prey hesto....it's the auld belt syndrome...! Do not use WD40, as I suggested once on McRav 4 forum, and got shot at dawn, coz it apparently rots the belt....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Thanks Kev, I'll try this. If using warm water does make the noise go away does this mean that I should replace the belt as the permanent solution?

Thanks Kev, I'll try this. If using warm water does make the noise go away does this mean that I should replace the belt as the permanent solution?

In my limited experience, TD, very little counts as "permanent" in cars..!!! If the belt hasn't been done in ages, it should be as a matter of course anyway. I am only doing what I was taught...look at the simples first. Keep me posted,

Big Kev :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out to be the A/C belt tensioner that needed to be replaced. Now fixed.