Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Reset Ecu

corollat3sport

Hi guys, i was wondering if anyone could tell me how to reset the ECU on my 2003 corolla 1.4 vvt-i?

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

take off the battery negative for about 10 minutes should do the trick?

i have heard that when you install an induction kit you should reset the ecu? it helps the car perform better with the kit? is this true?

does it get rid of any flat spots?

thanks for the reply mate

really greatful :)

the first few miles it will feel very slugish! but after that when it starts picking up the pace you have to hammer it for a while. the ecu will adapt to your driving style and the air filter, making sure your engine makes the most out of all that lovely coool air!

youl definately notice the difference. was like having a new car again for me. lol my av mpg went from 33 to 21 though :(its still oonly 23 after like 2 months

the first few miles it will feel very slugish! but after that when it starts picking up the pace you have to hammer it for a while. the ecu will adapt to your driving style and the air filter, making sure your engine makes the most out of all that lovely coool air!

youl definately notice the difference. was like having a new car again for me. lol my av mpg went from 33 to 21 though :(its still oonly 23 after like 2 months

thanks for both the replies mate

why does the mpg drop?

how long do i have to hammer it for lol

What I do is take off the negative pole of the Battery for 10 minutes, then plug it on again and then start the car and floor the accelerator for 2-3 times from idle till it reaches the highest revs - 6700(?) (how do you call that in English?).

Then the ECU has been reseted and already set in sport mode.

What I do is take off the negative pole of the battery for 10 minutes, then plug it on again and then start the car and floor the accelerator for 2-3 times from idle till it reaches the highest revs - 6700(?) (how do you call that in English?).

Then the ECU has been reseted and already set in sport mode.

oh thanks mate, il give that a go but wont it ruin the engine?

6700 rpm, thats what you call it lol

cheers mate

please dont just start your car and floor it! Quickest way to kill an engine. I do it by disconecting the Battery go and have a brew, reconnect the Battery, start it and touch nothing let it find it correct idle and then wait till its at working temperature and then go drive like your schuey for half an hour

mpg prob got worse Cus its now geared for performance rather than economy. ;) plus its reset back to zero and I've been hammering it recently. lol

please dont just start your car and floor it! Quickest way to kill an engine. I do it by disconecting the battery go and have a brew, reconnect the battery, start it and touch nothing let it find it correct idle and then wait till its at working temperature and then go drive like your schuey for half an hour

yeah i dont wana wreck the engine, people have told me to do it your way so il probz do that

cheers mate

mpg prob got worse Cus its now geared for performance rather than economy. ;) plus its reset back to zero and I've been hammering it recently. lol

yeah thats true mate, lmao not the best time to hammer it in this fuel crisis :censor:

no worrys

my mpg has gone up lol i fitted an induction kit and reset the ecu and i average around 32 mpg in my t sport! just did 475 miles last week on 75 quid @ 134p per litre is about 38 mpg :thumbsup: 300 odd miles was motorway 130ish town drivig and 40 odd driving with a bit of enthusiasm

as has been said disconnect Battery negative leave it for 10mins or so and reconnect. start up your car and let it find it's new idle point. the first few times you take her for a drive don't hammer her but you will need to drive in a spirited fashion in order to force the ecu of the car to choose a higher power map and allow you to take advantage of the new cold air.

i assume mpg drops because CAI = more air = more fuel needed = lower mpg?

I forgot to mention that I do this only when the car's temperature has reached normal figures. I don't do this when the car engine is cold.

Plenty of my friends with corollas are doing the same without any problem.

Ofcourse, if you are not confident with that method, don't do it. It's up to you.

I just posted this method to save you from driving the car around till the ecu is set to sport mode.

I think that the phrase I was looking for is "hitting the limiter". Is that correct? :rolleyes:

(Personally, if i had doubts or second thoughts about hitting the limiter I wouldn't have bought a Toyota... hehehe :yahoo: )

i know the compressors they start the car while holding down full throttle in order to get the car to change to a higher ron fuel map..may be same in t sport but please check before doing this!

i reset my ecu yesterday, is it me or does the car become more responsive and sharper? feels great guys

thanks for all the help, really couldnt of done it without you guys :D

well if you did it properly and the car changed a few settings in it's ecu then it probably will feel sharper. but it could just be placebo...

• 10 years later...

Hi guys I've just changed my scv valve and I'm trying the same procedure to reset the ECU to except the new valve will let you know what happens regards marilao53 well I've done as was advised drained all the electrical system and re attached the Battery started the engine and let it tick over for 4 or 5 minutes then went for a 45 mile drive that was awful lol would only rev to 3000 revs and gutless I was very disappointed but a few hours later I drove home and it was amazing my old car was born again it had learnt the way I drive and I was over the moon chuffed to bits it definitely works 💯 percent regards marilao53

The only thing that didn't happen was my engine light is still on at the moment but it does go off and then on again  my  next job is to fit a blanking plate on her valve  will let you know how that goes too

Egr valve !Removed! text editor 

as you can see after removing the negative terminal I put a jump lead from the removed negative lead to the live lead to make sure all the electrical system was drained and left it for 20 minutes to be sure regards marilao53 

IMG_20211007_092121.thumb.jpg.2b6c82c5039813d33657a74eaa3fa879.jpg

Hi Barry and welcome to TOC 

I don’t know whether you noticed but the post before your first one is over 10 years old.  Maybe it might have been better to start a new thread completely.  Just my thoughts.