Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idling And Power Issue

Martind

Hello

I was driving my APetrol Avensis (03) today when at about 2 revs it seemed to lose power, and started gentle vibrations. When idling it seems rough, but at higher revs it is fine. It does seem to be using more petrol than before and the engine management light is flashing. Is this something I might be able to resolve myself (e.g. changing something simple) or is it likely to be more complicated.

Thanks

You need to get a fault code reader on it to see why the engine management light is flashing.

My first suspicion would be a faulty O2 sensor though.

Hi

You can get code readers from either eBay or Amazon for less than £25 which is often cheaper than having the light reset. I had a recent issue with a faulty O2 sensor and it cost £90 to replace although I did find one for less than £50. They are relatively easy to replace, you can either buy a special socket with a cut out on the side for the cable or use a 22mm spanner. My symptoms however were none, it was running smoothly, no power loss or rough idle, just the engine light coming on, turned out that the heater in the sensor was faulty and thats why the light kept appearing.

Like it has been suggested before find out the code and take it from there. A code reader will pay for itself several tims over.

Al