Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Engines

Helen.oldgit

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I have heard that the D4D engine in the Land Cruiser suffers from problems with the injector seals.

Is it the same problem with the D4D engine in the Rav4. I have heard it can cause engine failure.

Thanks

Helen

Hi, welcome to the club ;) The problem with the Rav4 engine is the head gasket and issue is well known with TOYOTA dealers. If you notice any water loss from the header tank it's advisable to contact dealer, in most cases they will replace engine even if out of waranty.

• Like 1

I have heard that the D4D engine in the Land Cruiser suffers from problems with the injector seals.

Is it the same problem with the D4D engine in the Rav4. I have heard it can cause engine failure.

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

Welcome to the club

re seals -- what did you mean:

- rockers cover hole seal?

- injector/tube sealing properties?

- injector nozzle tip sealing ring?

- sealing properties between an internal parts of the injection valve??

be accurate when said your meaning.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

Welcome to the club

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

It appears the copper sealing rings on the injectors on the D4D engine in the Land Cruiser allow the gases to bypass as they wear and it can contaminate the oil leading to engine failure. One member on the Land Cruiser website suggested that all D4D engines could have that problem. The cure is to replace the copper seals with aluminium which cures the problem but is quite expensive. I am just asking whether anyone with a Rav4 D4D has come across this problem.

Thanks

Helen

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

Welcome to the club

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

It appears the copper sealing rings on the injectors on the D4D engine in the Land Cruiser allow the gases to bypass as they wear and it can contaminate the oil leading to engine failure. One member on the Land Cruiser website suggested that all D4D engines could have that problem. The cure is to replace the copper seals with aluminium which cures the problem but is quite expensive. I am just asking whether anyone with a Rav4 D4D has come across this problem.

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

I think the seals you are referring to are the ones between the inboard ends of the injectors ( i.e. the end nearest to the cylinder head ) and the cylinder head. I can find no reference to these seals having failed in any of the posts on the RAV forum. The Land Cruiser engine is a very different animal to the RAV, much closer to a traditional low speed high torque design and I can't imagine that there is much in the way of common components.

It is said by many who use them to be the best tow vehicle in the world and this is down to the 3L 127bhp engine. Even the older 4.3 RAV's are 137bhp from a 2.2L lump. The injector seals are a very long way down my list of concerns. With the LandCruiser the problem may be down to having a sort of three metal sandwich - Steel injector, copper seal and Aluminum head - causing a corrosion cell. I have difficulty in believing that Toyota didn't cope with that in some way at the design stage though.

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

Welcome to the club

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

I really do not know what raw metal are these seal are from, but they must to serve one time and once you take the injector off this seal must be changed, subject to it is made of a shape steel, but in case of copper then it might be re-used by following this way: to take off the injector from cylinder head; remove an old seal (copper made); carefully clean a bed for it using white rag with degreaser liquid. You must clean this seal and put it on the either wire rod having hook on the wire end -- after having heated it on the kitchen oven gas (up to the copper color becomes like cherry !!!! and not lighter)-- after that you should sharply put this seal into the small volume with normal fresh water cooled ---- this method is called annealing -- after that the copper becomes soft and ready for re-use subject to restore its shapes and remove all burrs of the edges. it might also be slightly polished on the emery paper. It might be easy checked on the nozzle tip whether or not it is easy slides on it. After that it is ready for re-installing again. Be sure the annealed copper seal must be pressed only one time by nozzle tip to reach sealing effect, otherwise the above steps must be followed again.

Cheers/Igor

• 7 months later...

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

Welcome to the club

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

Thanks

Helen

Hello Helen

I really do not know what raw metal are these seal are from, but they must to serve one time and once you take the injector off this seal must be changed, subject to it is made of a shape steel, but in case of copper then it might be re-used by following this way: to take off the injector from cylinder head; remove an old seal (copper made); carefully clean a bed for it using white rag with degreaser liquid. You must clean this seal and put it on the either wire rod having hook on the wire end -- after having heated it on the kitchen oven gas (up to the copper color becomes like cherry !!!! and not lighter)-- after that you should sharply put this seal into the small volume with normal fresh water cooled ---- this method is called annealing -- after that the copper becomes soft and ready for re-use subject to restore its shapes and remove all burrs of the edges. it might also be slightly polished on the emery paper. It might be easy checked on the nozzle tip whether or not it is easy slides on it. After that it is ready for re-installing again. Be sure the annealed copper seal must be pressed only one time by nozzle tip to reach sealing effect, otherwise the above steps must be followed again.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Gents

I am writing from Cyprus . I bougth my Toyota hilux Invincible 2006 from Irealand ' and I am haveing the same problem of Cooper injector seals ; can you send me the picture of that part so that I can show my mechanic .

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Yes the RAV4 does suffer the same problem and it causes the oil pick up filter gauze to clog up causing engine failure. It is a well known problem and has just happened to ours. Drop the sump and check the gauze to be sure.

This problem affected the 1KD-FTV engine as fitted to the Land Cruiser etc - not the Rav4. It's a significant problem which often resulted in engine failure and, similar to the Rav4 oil burning issue, Toyota introduced a goodwill extended warranty. Basically the problem resulted from failure of injector sealing rings made of an unsuitable material. Amongst other issues - this led to oil contamination and blockage of the internal oil strainer.

The Rav isn't affected by the same issue and is certainly not a widespread problem. However other types of failure can and do occur which results in the same type of oil contamination and subsequent engine failure - again not a widespread problem.

• 10 months later...

Hi

this is my first time on this so bear with me

I bought a 2009 Toyota Rav 4 D4D (79k miles) in March this year and within 3 months the cylinder head gasket had gone. I got in touch with Toyota UK having read online about lots of other people having the same issues, possible design fault, and everyone seems to have been accommodated by Toyota who have repaired their cars, if they are under 7 years old and less than £130k on the clock. I've not been so lucky, as I don't have the full service history, Toyota are refusing to help me, and after several telephone calls/emails, they have referred me to an independent arbitrator (my cost) to find some sort of resolution to the problem. The car is in the garage at the moment and the bill is going to be £2500, which I really can't afford. I've had a Toyota RAV4 for the past 10 years but will seriously not be going to Toyota for my choice of car again!! Any advice welcome!

A head gasket for 2.5k? Has it damaged the head/block or am I missing something obvious here? Normally it's a relatively inexpensive job, head off, skimmed if required and new gasket/bolts/fluids/filters etc. so what's putting it that high?

Inherent defects are covered under the sale of goods act. The fact that Toyota choose to call the way they have chosen to deal with them as 'good will' is up to them, they've admitted they produced a defective product and should make a reasonable attempt to redress the issue. They could argue you (well the previous owners) have enjoyed the benefit of the last 79k/6 years and offer a partial contribution and it would probably be seen as reasonable. Sadly as you didn't own the car from new things are a little more difficult as you don't have a contract with Toyota or a franchised dealer under the SOGA. Unlike block exemption where they can't refuse warranty work based on independent service history good will is exactly that and your contract legally speaking is with whoever you purchased the car from.

Hi i am a new member from what i understood the problem with head gaskets and cylinder head issues was ment to be sorted and cars after december 2008 were rectified.Take it this is not the case what year of rav4 is safe to buy.I have a 2002 2.0d4d and was looking at upgrading but put off by engine problems.And am now thinking of getting a honda crv.

• 1 month later...

The RAV4 D4D (2AD-FTV) DOES suffer from failure of the copper injector seals, as I have just experienced with my 130K 2006.

In addition, as a result of the failure the injector clamp had become loose.

The Toyota replacement pack of 4 seals was about £20, and alloy NOT copper (N.B. eBay replacements all appear to be copper).

Just about to take the sump off to check the gauze :/

Hi i am a new member from what i understood the problem with head gaskets and cylinder head issues was ment to be sorted and cars after december 2008 were rectified.Take it this is not the case what year of rav4 is safe to buy.I have a 2002 2.0d4d and was looking at upgrading but put off by engine problems.And am now thinking of getting a honda crv.

It is the production date that is important. The Rav4 mentioned in post 11 may well have been registered in 2009, but may have been produced before December 2008.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links