Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Japan Factories.

Sico2

Since the earthquake in Japan last week, many car factories have been closed or ceased production due to lack of power and similar problems in many parts of Japan. I know most of the EU Toyotas are assembled in Europe and around the US, but still there are many parts coming from Japan. Do you think it will shortly start taking effect on car sales in Europe, do you suspect a near out-of-stock situations in dealerships where it may come to sale unavailability of certain car models?

What are your views on that?

Since the earthquake in Japan last week, many car factories have been closed or ceased production due to lack of power and similar problems in many parts of Japan. I know most of the EU Toyotas are assembled in Europe and around the US, but still there are many parts coming from Japan. Do you think it will shortly start taking effect on car sales in Europe, do you suspect a near out-of-stock situations in dealerships where it may come to sale unavailability of certain car models?

What are your views on that?

I think it depends on how long the Japanese factories are closed for. If the model you want is only made in Japan then you may have to wait, if not then there may not be too much of a delay. Car manufacturers are global these days and parts can be supplied from more than one source.

Having said that, they have a lot more to worry about than making cars at the moment....

It has already affected us at work, some parts for a Lexus we need are on back order for a few days and now we have been told that no one knows when the parts will be available as they would normally come from Japan and production has all but stopped

I also now read that Opel will halt its 2 production lines for Corsa in Germany and Spain due to lack of parts coming from Japan.

From what I've read, the Prius is only made in Japan. Due to their popularity worldwide, they will be in short supply and dealers will be able to charge just about whatever they want for the hybrid.

I also now read that Opel will halt its 2 production lines for Corsa in Germany and Spain due to lack of parts coming from Japan.

Lol...

Now Japan sneezes and the world gets a cold!

From what I've read, the Prius is only made in Japan. Due to their popularity worldwide, they will be in short supply and dealers will be able to charge just about whatever they want for the hybrid.

Yey!!! We are driving a car that will INCREASE in value!!!! At least in the near future and only till they get going again :crybaby:

I suspect that Prius discounts may be a thing of the past for a while too....

I was thinking about this....

A LOT of cars go wrecked... does this mean a lot less jap imports for a while?

Alternatively does it mean a lot more jap imports being broken for parts?

I know the Toyota factory got away unharmed.....but Sony apparently lost their whole factory in the Tsunami! :s

This is the official line as of today

Service Parts Production. Restarts March 17th

Parts for overseas production restarts March 21st

Completely built models, The line will stop until March 22nd and a review will take place on march 23rd

There are issues with subsiduary factories which will be reviewed on March 23rd

Most production for EU cars is made outside Japan and production might slow a little until parts suppliers are up to speed again and catch up with deliveries

There might be some issues with parts in the short term but most parts are stored in Belguim and drawn from there, I would hope that just because a part is not available, it doesnt get blamed on the earthquake, it might not have been available pre-eartquake. The priority at the moment is with looking after the employees and their families, the production plants need to be safe to work in and these are some reasons why production has stopped

As for dealers being able to charge what they want, nothing has changed, a dealer has ALWAYS been able to charge what he wants (up to list price) just like new model releases, supplies may be a little more limited in the short term, you cant blame Toyota for that

Japan and it's people need our support at the moment, if anyone can help, you should donate through the official chanells

www.redcross.org.uk/japantoyota

Toyota-related companies have been sending emergency provisions to people in the affected areas since March 12. These provisions consist of such items as foodstuffs, drinking water, sundry goods (blankets,towels, paper diapers, etc.) and medical supplies. As of March 17, 15 trucks have made deliveries. Additionally, six tanker trucks have been sent to provide water. These supplies are being provided to team members of Toyota-related companies and their

families, as well as to other people in need. To support recovery efforts, first Toyota has sent approximately 60 employees. These employees are mainly focused on distributing the emergency provisions, but are also supporting recovery of the facilities of Toyota-related companies.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Very nice to hear that toyota are reacting in that way and trying to help its workers and companies it relys on to get back on there feet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another article regarding Toyota manufacturers. Unfortunately the crisis spreads to Europe now... what will this bring for us, all Toyota users in the future?

"Toyota to cut back on European production

Toyota is to stop production at five plants in Europe for several days in April and May because component supplies from Japan remain limited.

The announcement comes a day after the Japanese car maker announced similar shutdowns in North America.

Last month's earthquake and tsunami in northern Japan damaged machinery and electricity supplies at Toyota's component factories.

The European plants affected are in the UK, Turkey, France and Poland.

"Even if the supply chain has not yet been interrupted, short-term parts shortages are foreseeable," said Toyota, which has yet to decide on production levels after May.

The shutdowns will take place at British plants in Burnaston, Derbyshire, and Deeside, Flintshire, as well as Adapazari in Turkey, Valenciennes in France, and Jelcz-Laskowice in Poland.

Production there will be stopped there on 21 and 22 April, from 25 to 29 April, and 2 May.

The company's domestic factories have resumed production, although at a reduced capacity.

Factories in Japan will be shut down again between 27 April and 9 May, although that includes the traditional Japanese Golden Week holiday. "

• 2 weeks later...

More bad news...

You are definately a glass half empty type of person :lol:

Come on, the supply situation is NOT drastic, not yet anyway. Quarter 3 will be challenging, but if you want a new Toyota right now, you might have to wait a few weeks longer. Models made in Japan will take longer, the stock situation will change daily with customer orders so you should check with your dealer for the current stock situation

Kingo :thumbsup: