Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Y-Reg Corolla 1.6 Vvti Gs

Rock'n'Corolla

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum - so please go easy on me!

To be honest I feel a bit... inadequate, in present company. All the T Sports and Compressors about, and here's me with my bog-standard Y-reg 1.6 GS. But to be fair I really rather like it. It's the first car I bought, having learned in a Fiesta and then briefly been a named driver on a Focus then an Astra - if this were the internet (which it is) then you could call me a Noob.

I like the fact that it's adequate for overtaking and generally feels at home on A-roads and motorways. It's the final "facelift" of the 90's model, and I don't mind the looks even though it's the uglier 5-door. But above all I like the reliability; the fact that it starts first time every time and it's given me no major problems despite my questionable driving skills and general lack of maintenance.

What I don't like is:

1) Its endless ridiculous thirst for oil. I have to add more every couple of months, probably more regularly than washing it.

2) The fact that gusts of wind at 60mph+ on the motorway can suddenly give the impression of trying to sail a boat, spoiling the usual sense of security - none of the other cars I've driven have seemed to react this badly to a bit of wind.

3) Handling when turning into tight corners can be pretty crap.

4) I seem to have lost some power in the first three gears compared to when I first bought it two years ago; I now have to use higher revs for the same effect.

I suppose what I'm really hoping for is any advice on the above issues from any current or past owners of this model. I have heard that the first (the oil guzzling) is unavoidable and incurable, but surely this is not true? The second I suppose is just a consequence of an un-aerodynamic design and is unavoidable. The fourth is really odd - I definitely recall having more power at my disposal in the first three gears without having to floor the accelerator as I do now. I wonder if it's a consequence of me driving in high gears so often... but anyway, I'd be grateful for any thoughts on any of those issues. I'd also be grateful for any general advice on things to look out for - it's just passed 80,000 miles and is due a big service shortly. Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give, or any experiences with your Corolla. Cheers!

Hi mate and welcome to TOC, have never owned the E11 Corolla so don't know a huge amount about them, there are plenty here that will be able to help though. I would imagine a right good service would help in the performance area. As for handling there are plenty of lowering springs and braces etc available on eBay and fensport etc etc to tighten things up

Hi there,

Congrats on the E11 :) I have the preface lift in 3 door. Your generation of corolla seems to have a common fault with regard to burning oil, I'm not sure it's 'incurable' but probably not a cheap fix.

With regard to performance a damn good service using quality parts will do the world of good.

Also remember that it's a vvti engine, so the power is toward the top of the rev range!

Hi Welcome.

Unless your engine has been replaced by Toyota it could be one that drinks oil. I'm lucky that my one has had a replacement engine (fitted under warrenty). So I think you'll just have to live with it.

As for the handling, do you have 4 matching tyres? First thing I did when I bought mine was fit 4 tyres of the same make.

Some little pics of mine.

DSCF1031.jpg

CorollabyFrodo.jpg

DSCF0086-3.jpg

DSCF0054-3.jpg

As for loss of power, you do get used to it, plus if it really has lost some ooomph a service will help.

theres no way id let them have their grubby mits all over my car!

anyway, i think after a while of testing the power you just get used to it and it starts to feel slower. but if you drive smoothly and slowly for a while and then hammer it when you get up to 3500 revs you notice the power again lol. always puts a smile on my face when the person in front turns off and i drop down a couple of gears.

one thing you should try:

reset the ecu... take negative off the Battery for 10 mins, then reconnect, start engine, drive normallly while the engine warms up, then hammer it for a half an hour.

if it really has got slower it might be cus the ecu is getting used to slow driving eg traffic etc. so start fresh and it should be faster than when you first got it! but yeah, new tyres, conee filter, check engine coolant etc and you should be back up to previous power

@OldRedCelica: Nice! I want one! And (you can see this one coming...) the car ain't bad either! :thumbsup: Honestly though, I really like what you've done with it. If you don't mind, can I ask roughly what it cost to replace the seats? I've been giving it some consideration since I'm finding the standard ones a bit uncomfortable for long journeys regardless of setting (I'm 6"1 and most of that is in the legs) plus would prefer a seat that I stay in when I go round corners ;)

Also thanks everyone for the advice. I'm taking it for a service next week, in the meantime I'll try resetting the ECU as described by Sizzla538. I had all four tyres replaced after buying the car (had tracking done too); since then I've only done just under 25,000 miles so I'm in no hurry to replace them again. That said, they've had a fair bit of wear thanks to the roads being riddled with potholes, cracks and gaping craters and the various Councils' idea of "repair" being to shove any old crap in the hole and leave it there to rise up forming a nice jagged-edged landmine which does more damage than the hole would have... er I'm probably preaching to the choir here :rolleyes: . Anyway thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links