Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket Issue

shippingenthusiast

Hello All

Just joined and after some good honest advice. Before I go on I am a car user rather than repairer, but have got a small country garage that has looked after the family cars for over 10 years and the car in question hear for at least 6 to 7. Prior to us owning it, it was owned by a couple in our village and was Toyota serviced by the owners each year and prior to them it was the Japanesse Embassy who owned it for about 6 to 8 months.

I have a UK Model of the Previa (GS) - R Reg - it is on about 170k and apart from the Air Conditining not working anymore and the fuel economy being low is a fantastic car. (I know the GS do not come with Air Con, however I have found the history right back to the day the car was built for the Japanesse Embassy, hence it was added).

As the title suggest the headgasket has decided to give up. Basically on Saturday I had nice white smoke out the exhaust on three occasions whilst getting it to the garage after it happened (distance about 3 miles). The car still had power and the temp guage did not move from normal. All the classics are there and the guys at the garage confirmed it as being the head gasket as they saw me arrive and once stopped the car would obviously not start again.

I understand it is a big job, anyone any thoughts on is it worth spending the £1000 (estimate - this was off the top of thiers heads as they were just closing up so unsure if there are non-toyota pars that can be used) to have it repaired and what sort of problems could I be looking at in the future. Typically it had to happen the afternoon we booked our summer holiday to Austria!! The car is typically used locally but each year it is loaded up for a 700 mile journey to Austria.

Many thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay in replying. Same happened to me shortly after I bought the current one - the head was actually cracked and I ended up paying about £250 for a used head complete. Its a fairly big job as the engine is a heavy lump but I don't think it quite cost me £1000. I love that model of car so i went with it. Since getting it done its running fine. Also done 170k miles and an R regy.

• 1 month later...

i have a toyota emina and the head has just gone on my i was told it would be about £1200 to do it and as the car has not rust and looks great i would like to get it done where would i look for good secind hand head please

then all i have to do is find a garage that would do it as all the ones round me would touch it cos its import