Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sick Corolla

andyhansen77

morning all,

popped the corolla t-sport into the garage last night as the brakes wear crunching a bit..

Having been raped by a garage before for my yaris t-sport and the amount it cost me to get it fixed i wanted to get your input.

So lets say my brakes pads are worn and i need new ones how much would it cost?

PLus i think the back right shock absorber is going and needs replacing as its making a creaking sound when i push down on the boot

basically I think this is going to cost me a bomb?a rough ball park figure would be ideal

regs,

AJ

new brake pads will cost you around 50 quid depending on the type you get. ideally mintex or ferodo brake pads are quite good Just do a search on the forum and you can find out what people get. And if your willing to get your hands dirty there not hard to fit yourself and theres a guide on here aswell on how to do it.

http://www.mintexbrakesonline.co.uk/catalog/mintexbrakepads/Make/TOYOTA/Model/Corolla_Estate_(E12)/pg/1.html

Shock absorber i have no idea about but if the stealers did cost too much then i guess you could get one off a scrap yard, ive seen quite a few tsports being broken for parts.

new brake pads will cost you around 50 quid depending on the type you get. ideally mintex or ferodo brake pads are quite good Just do a search on the forum and you can find out what people get. And if your willing to get your hands dirty there not hard to fit yourself and theres a guide on here aswell on how to do it.

http://www.mintexbrakesonline.co.uk/catalog/mintexbrakepads/Make/TOYOTA/Model/Corolla_Estate_(E12)/pg/1.html

Shock absorber i have no idea about but if the stealers did cost too much then i guess you could get one off a scrap yard, ive seen quite a few tsports being broken for parts.

Cheers for the feedback. How long does it take to fit the brake pads? bare in mind I am quite a novice with cars ( took me about 2 hours to fit my powertec air filter)

Will look at getting the brake pads this weekend then if you think its pretty straight forward

AJ

Pads alone, should take you about 15 mins per wheel.

Bearing in mind you dont have any problem getting the bolts off. But i'd take some extra time giving them a service yourself by cleaning and regreasing the slider pins.

Look in the sticky guides section for changing brake parts. You may want to check if your discs need changing too while your on the case. Id let the garage check your shock absorber out, you would need a coil compressor to get the spring off.

50 quid for pads! You can get mintex discs and pads on eBay for that! 2 hour to do just front pads is going very slow i can do it in just over an hour with just hand tools and thats discs too. A shock shouldnt cost more than 50-60 quid each for pattern and millions from mr t and about an hour to fit per shock. But unless its leaking or has negative damping effect it will pass an mot. It may be the top mount though as its creaking

I ordered a full set (front & back) of mintex pads from camskill.co.uk for £50 delivered.

I then had them fitted at Feltham Tyres for £40 (generic local kwik fit type place).

not sure how much a new shock will cost, however fitting is usually and hour a corner labour, so around £25 for a local garage.

Changing pads should take you no time at all it's just one bolt slide the caliper forward and swap em over. You'll need to push the pistons back but if you don't have a tool you can do it with a piece of wood. Just remember to use copper grease on the back of the pads to avoid brake squeel. I got pads and discs off eBay for £85 so pads should not cost much. If you decide to do discs and pads then this will take a bit more effort but still a quick job and there is a guide on here.

Changing a shock in an hour without a ramp is good going, I wouldn't attempt the job without a 2 pillar post as it will be really awkward and if your a novice then it isn't that easy. As mentioned earlier you would also need spring compressors and an idea of what your doing.

Changing pads should take you no time at all it's just one bolt slide the caliper forward and swap em over. You'll need to push the pistons back but if you don't have a tool you can do it with a piece of wood. Just remember to use copper grease on the back of the pads to avoid brake squeel. I got pads and discs off ebay for £85 so pads should not cost much. If you decide to do discs and pads then this will take a bit more effort but still a quick job and there is a guide on here.

Changing a shock in an hour without a ramp is good going, I wouldn't attempt the job without a 2 pillar post as it will be really awkward and if your a novice then it isn't that easy. As mentioned earlier you would also need spring compressors and an idea of what your doing.

Right the mechanic has just rung me and told me that the front brake pads and discs need to be changed. Anyone got a link to where I can buy these from? turns out there is nothing wrong with the shock absorbers which is a good thing

how long does it take to change brake discs and pads for a complete noob at car mechanics?

Assuming you have no air tools, I think about 1 hour per side (and that is really pacing yourself).

My record is 8 minutes per side. 15 minutes if you include regreasing the slide pins.

Assuming you have no air tools, I think about 1 hour per side (and that is really pacing yourself).

My record is 8 minutes per side. 15 minutes if you include regreasing the slide pins.

No air tools

Will I need a proper jack or will the one in the boot of my car be enough?

Please do not consider doing this job by yourself if you have no idea what you are doing. YES fitting new brake pads and discs is not difficult, HOWEVER by your own admission you are a novice. At least get somebody who has done the job before to assist you. You are fitting safety critical parts to your car, you need to make sure you know what you are doing

There are some excellent guides to fitting brake pads in the RAV section, the job will be similar in principle, at least go and read up on the subject first, but I would prefer you had some assistance if it's your first time

Kingo :thumbsup:

And DO NOT use the car jack to support the car, it is not man-enough for the job. The car could easily slide off the jack, the least you should use is axel stands !

And DO NOT use the car jack to support the car, it is not man-enough for the job. The car could easily slide off the jack, the least you should use is axel stands !

haha after much thought and careful consideration I have decided to let the mechanics do it..like kingo said its a vital part of the car and the thought of the brakes failing on the M25 put me off!

thanks for all the advice though

I'll give many things a go myself on the car but breaks I either don't touch or ask my mate to do them with me, as Kingo said, it's a safety critical part!

Curious to know which part of this job would require air tools?

carrier bolts are a hell of a lot easier with an impact gun than a breaker bar.

I'm not saying you can't do it with air tools, it just takes longer.

Fair play, I struggled with access ended up with a long ratchet handle for removal and torqued with long handle torque wrench.