Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Filter Change Avensis D4D

spada01

I bought the Haynes manual, but it only covers petrol cars. Has anyone found instructions on how to do this and it is a job for a competent DIYer?

since you have np replies so far I'll add this...

I've not changed one on an Avensis but the principals are the same.

Locate filter and figure out how to undo or remove the pipes allowing you to remove filter.

Remove filter.

Wipe up all the diesel you spilled and clean it off your driveway.

If the filter is in a housing then clean the housing out thoroughly. Don't leave any bits of fluff from your rag etc in it.

Replace the filter but fill it with diesel before you re-fit the pipes. This is to aid the system with self bleeding (it doesn't need to pump so much diesel thru the system).

Re-fit pipes.

If there's a bleed screw and a hand primer pump then unscrew the screw a turn or two and pump the hand primer until only diesel is coming out the screw - with no air bubbles. Tighten the screw.

Start car and let it run for a good few minutes to purge any air through.

Mop up the rest of the diesel you've spilled and apologise to the wife for the smell of diesel in your washing basket.

Hope this helps :)

I bought the Haynes manual, but it only covers petrol cars. Has anyone found instructions on how to do this and it is a job for a competent DIYer?

I've changed my fuel filter on my T-180 and its quite an easy job. Get yourself some plastic gloves. As said take off the fuel pipes and have some old rags or kitchen paper ready to collect the spills. Disconnect the wire that runs to the bottom of the filter that is connected to the plug. Remove the large black Turbo pipe from the air filter box to the Turbo(This hepls gain access to the fuel filter so you don't have to remove the air filter box and filter) Then I took the whole housing and the fuel filter off in one go (2 bolts to remove if I remember correctly at the top) and place it in a vice(make sure you dont over tighten it and damage it I'd use 2 pieces of wood either side) or get a mate to hold the filter while you undo the plastic part at the bottom of the filter.

You'll find a lot of Diesel flow out at this point. Re-place the plastic bottom part to your new filter with the new rubber "O" rings and tighten it by hand(Don't over-tighen it and put some diesel on the new "O" rings) and screw it back up into the housing by hand not forgetting to us the new "O" ring at the top of the filter as well.

Go back to the car and re-fit it with all the fuel pipes you dis- connected(Make sure you know what one went were! label them 1st befor you remover them if in doulbt) Pump the black plunger on top of the filter housing to help expel the air and crank up the engine. It might take a bit of cranking till the fuel runs through the new fuel filter and for the air to be purged. Before closing the bonnet, check there are no leaks...

Jobs done and its time for a beer and look at a good job well done! :thumbsup:

Great. Thanks guys. Going to try one evening this week - seems straight forward from your replies. Much appreciated thanks

check out the pinned section on the rav 4 forum it exactly the same , id post a link but im not sure how to , i did mine last week no probs , the only issue was trc vsc lights came on when i started the car , i disconnected the Battery for half an hour and it sorted that problem

check out the pinned section on the rav 4 forum it exactly the same ,

I think you mean THIS THREAD

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links