Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

So Whats The Best Avensis D4D Deal?

MrSandman

Hi all

I have been reading on this forum for a while now and I must say after reading some of the responses to some threads by members, I found nearly all the answers to my Qs and hats off to the members who take time out to share there experiences with others which really saves alot of heartache time and money.

I am currently living abroad and am moving back with the family after 5 years and buying a car is the first thing I am going to do otherwise its taxi everywhere lol..I owned 2 vauxhaull cav sri's , the first an 92J 8v clocked 140k+ on original clutch and never had a problem,, then a 94L sri 16v redtop and that was the bomb for me, kept that til about 135k+ and never had any probs just usual servise, I used to do it my self, oil, sparks, filter with engine flush,,,was really happy with the power, economy 360mls per tank(55ltr) excluding reserve thats 50-50.

Now coming to my Q,,,sorry if Im boring you,,lol,,I want to buy an Avensis and really liked the looks and sound of the 2.0 d4d facelift model with all the extras under 100k and less than 3 years old, so it will be still under manufacturing warranty, the reason being I was thinking would it be a good deal if I went for a 2008 d4d get an extended warranty for 2 years unlimited mileage,,and then I wont have to worry about forking out EGR replacement costs, injectors, DFM's and etc etc,, the usual manufacturing nightmares I have been reading about. All I will have to do is take my own parts and have Mr T do the service at every 9k instead of the 10k to not void the warranty. I hope everyone is getting my drift here?

I want to have the reliability, luxury and economy as well as avoid the big killers EGR, DMF, injectors, head gaskets problems ,if I have the warranty then Mr T should take care of it.

Basically I would like some feedback as to maybe how I can have trouble free driving of this once great model with having to be worrying about these nightmarish faults that the diesel engines have. budgets about 9k also extended warranty will cost about 800 maybe??

Also what is exactly covered and not covered by the warranty?

Thanks guys

Hi,

I've got a late 2007 facelift & have taken out the extended warrany until it will be 5 (at which point I'll probably change it) albeit my mileage is well under what your planned is.

For Toyota Extended Warranty prices http://www.toyota.co.uk/bv/1024downloads/Toyota_Warranty_PL.pdf

Thanks for the reply Hied,,,,Well what i wanted to know was how with all the problems the diesels are having how does 1 get around the costs of repair and then still believe in the reliabilty. I have always been a toyota admirer but the SRI just wanted more

From what I can make out if I buy the d4d facelift 2008 avensis,,I will benefit from it being chain driven and will have to service every 9k instead of 10k just tobe on the safe side,,,clean the EGR valve every service,,basically what steps can an owner take to avoid these kind of faults ,,EGR,,DMF,,Injectors . Also from what i hear wear and tear is not as good as the old models,, pads dont last 20k tyres also,,I could over come them by having good quality parts.

If this car didn't have these expensive and critical engine problems it would be the best seller.

I think the 2.2 suffers more than the 2.0, am I right?

Thanks in advance guys. :)

Hi Mr Sandman

I bought an early 2008 57 plate 5dr 2.2D TR for just under 9.5K in October last year. It had 16200 miles on it got all the toys sat nav etc getting approx 38 to 40mpg locally not much motorway driving atm. Off on holiday in 2 weeks flying from Heathrow so I'll have a better idea of mpg on a run. Got a one year Toyota warranty and I don't pay for MOTs while the car is mine

Thanks for the reply Hied,,,,Well what i wanted to know was how with all the problems the diesels are having how does 1 get around the costs of repair and then still believe in the reliabilty.

first off because people are far more willing to post a negative than a positive any problems will appear to be magnified on a forum such as this.

It still comes out pretty well in JDPower etc. surveys.

From what I can make out if I buy the d4d facelift 2008 avensis,,I will benefit from it being chain driven and will have to service every 9k instead of 10k just tobe on the safe side,,,clean the EGR valve every service,,basically what steps can an owner take to avoid these kind of faults ,,EGR,,DMF,,Injectors . Also from what i hear wear and tear is not as good as the old models,, pads dont last 20k tyres also,,I could over come them by having good quality parts.

I'm not sure why you think having it serviced at 9k instead of 10k will make a difference?

I would make sure that you use decent petrol, oil etc. A can of BG244 every 8k or so does seem to make a difference.

If you do long high speed work allow the turbo to cool before switching the engine off.

As part of the Toyota Extended Warranty it is required to visit a Toyota dealer at least once a year.

As for pads, tyres etc. lasting imo it's the same story for all - modern asbsetos free friction materials don't last as long as older ones with & lower profile tyres on powerful fwd cars don't last as long as older higher profile ones did on rwd. I'm sure that it's the same for Mondeos, Insignias etc.

I get ~25k for front tyres & I'm guessing ~40k for rear tyres.

I changed pads & discs for aftermarket at 33k but to improve brake performance not because they were necessary for wear (fronts probably would have been done at next service but rears were fine).

If this car didn't have these expensive and critical engine problems it would be the best seller.

I think the 2.2 suffers more than the 2.0, am I right?

as above imo it's pretty much the same for most if not all modern high-pressure diesels - injectors, DMFs, turbos etc. are problems for them all.

the Toyota 2.2 however does additionally potentially have a head/gasket problem but just what % are actually affected only Toyota know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links