Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Erratic Tickover

Pete W

Hi, had this erratic tickover problem for some time now. When you start the car from cold it is fine, but when you start warm sometimes it is fine, and some times it ticks over at about 450rpm, and struggles to keep going. It will then rev itself up and down a couple of times before settling at about 550-600 rpm. I had it scanned, and was told that 3 of the four O2 sensors had faulty heater circuits. I have had all 4 sensors replaced, but still have the erratic tickover. The M.P.G. has increased since changing the O2 sensors, and it seems to run more smoothly. Any ideas would be gratefully received.Thanks. Pete.

Hi, had this erratic tickover problem for some time now. When you start the car from cold it is fine, but when you start warm sometimes it is fine, and some times it ticks over at about 450rpm, and struggles to keep going. It will then rev itself up and down a couple of times before settling at about 550-600 rpm. I had it scanned, and was told that 3 of the four O2 sensors had faulty heater circuits. I have had all 4 sensors replaced, but still have the erratic tickover. The M.P.G. has increased since changing the O2 sensors, and it seems to run more smoothly. Any ideas would be gratefully received.Thanks. Pete.

petrol or diesel?

cheers

Sorry it's a 2000 2.0 VVTI petrol. Engine 1AZ FSE. Thanks

hi mate

check with:

- throttle + clean it from carbon;

- MAF sensor to be cleaned from carbon too;

- all sparks to be either cleaned or changed.

I have had the same before.

Cheers/Igor

Had a look under bonnet today, and couldn't find M.A.F. anywhere. Could anyone confirm there is an M.A.F. on this model. and where i might find it. Thanks.

I have exactly the same issue with mine.

I've already changed the plugs and cleaned the MAF, I'm yet to check the throttle body though.

The MAF is in the air duct just as it comes out of the airbox. It's held in the top with 2 screws. Be very careful cleaning it though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links