Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where Is The Original Hid Ballast For Headlights ?

Andre-K

Hi.

The topic says it all, where did they stuff the original HID ballasts ? - how to get to them ?

- one is failing, do I need to get an "original" one ? - a toyota HID bulb here costs US$272 (1500NOK) , assuming the ballast is equally ripoff, I'd like to install an generic/aftermarket ballast.

I wonder if my problem may be this: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121142&hl=xenon&st=0

the light is yellowish, weaker than it should - the strange thing is that both headlights seem to be equally bright/white the first 1-4 seconds after ignition.

I will post the picture of the headlamp tomorrow, since I don't have it on this computer, but it is placed underneath the bulb. You must remove the whole headlamp in order to remove the ballast, and it you have the tools you will probably need 20-30 minutes to remove the headlamp.

Hi.

The topic says it all, where did they stuff the original HID ballasts ? - how to get to them ?

- one is failing, do I need to get an "original" one ? - a toyota HID bulb here costs US$272 (1500NOK) , assuming the ballast is equally ripoff, I'd like to install an generic/aftermarket ballast.

Get after market HIDs if there are no compulsory regulations for annual inspection of the car (MOT in UK).

And if you want OEM, then get these from USA, but you may have to pay high postage costs.

OEM Ballast

:thumbsup:

Ok, here is the picture, You will see it marked with arrows. As Sam29 said, you should probably be best of if you buy aftermarket ballast because as You see here, the "The part N1 is not supplied as an individual part.....and so on" So in order to get ballast from Toyotas dealer you need to buy the whole headlamp!!....

Good luck!

post-102898-0-87822900-1301984444_thumb.

*Thank you*

Anyone have a clue as to what can cause my problem ?

I've already tried another bulb, - it's better, but still much weaker than the ok lamp.

During the ignition, and for a few seconds, both seem ~equal, but then the left fades very slowly/changes color.

- this may sould like a ballast failure, I had several aftermarket ballasts in my previous car (4 at a time) but I've never seen it behave like that, mostly they flickered, or just died.

Maybe your ballast is not giving up on its life, and wont go easily. :D

*Thank you*

Anyone have a clue as to what can cause my problem ?

I've already tried another bulb, - it's better, but still much weaker than the ok lamp.

During the ignition, and for a few seconds, both seem ~equal, but then the left fades very slowly/changes color.

- this may sould like a ballast failure, I had several aftermarket ballasts in my previous car (4 at a time) but I've never seen it behave like that, mostly they flickered, or just died.

Switch the HID bulbs to start with. IF it doesnt help, then definitely ballast.

Get one from that USA seller. He is really selling cheap. If you have any friend in USA, get it delivered it to him, and ask him to post you as a gift.

:thumbsup:

hi there i have the same original hid. i m sure its not the balast as the original last really longer that those aftermarket hid. i m sure its the bulb that s giving up. try to exchange left and right bulb.

Hi.

I replaced the bulb, but it's a very annoying job and I just barely managed to re-attach the cover (my hands are rather big, and it was designed for small Asian hands at best)

So I'll loosen the bumper/remove both headlights for better access, as soon the new D2S wires & "slim ballast" arrives in the mail. - than I can switch the bulbs easily.

With all spare parts at hand, I'll sure manage to fix it without more swearing than necessary. :)

Also, I'll upgrade the long beam's to HID - I still need to find proper holders for H1 HID bulbs. (the halogen bulbs are being held in place by some plastic parts)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links