Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where To Get 12 Volts When Car Is Off?

NeoXon

Let's say I'd like to charge my phone or something like this and I want to have 12 volts max 1-2 ampers available in my Avensis (2004 model). Where can install some new wires to get the power from? Obviously I don't want to lay down new cables from the Battery to the cabin, but rather I'd like to find a point at the fuse table so I can have a fuse in the circuit (just in case something goes wrong).

I tried to find electricity with my engine shut off with the help of a 12 V bulb and some wires, but was unable to light it up, only on the car Battery itself. Does the ECU disable every circuit? How does the car alarm work then?

To be a little bit more specific, I know that the power seat motors do work when the key is not in. But obviously I don't want to have wires coming out from the seat, as that would be kind of awkward. It would be better to have the charger somewhere on the dashboard.

off the interior light circuit?

I'm thinking of when I inadvertently left the tailgate open on my 2005 Avensis and flattened the Battery overnight.....

Maybe not a good idea to leave things charging when the ignition/engine is not on perhaps?

i posted how i fitted a plug in point in the switch panel to charge my tomtom.this saved the charging cable having to go from cig lighter and across the dash. now have much shorter cable.this still needed ignition on,but i could have used a permanent feed if i had wished.

its a bit risky as phone could be pinched,not to mention broken windows.thats if not garaged.if garaged, surley there is a socket outlet to use home charger,or even direct from Battery via home charger,just a couple of crocodile clips would do it.

Okay. Let's assume the Battery charge is not an issue. It has a 55 Ah Battery or so, while the mobile charger needs 1Ah at max (but I'd bet less than 0,5Ah actually). Also it does not drain so much power all the time, only while the phone is being charged (2-3 hours), then in standby it maybe needs 0,1A or maybe even much less.

I calculated that even if I left my phone in the car, it would take weeks if not months to use all power up, given that I never start the car, which is not the case...

Also broken glasses are not a problem, because I'd hide the charger and the phone in the glove box. All the wiring would go behind the dashboard.

I thought about the interior lights, but the problem is that electricity is cut off when doors are closed, or when light switch on roof is shut off. I need power when doors are closed and all lights are off.

Clearly interior lights and their switches do get the power from somewhere, the question is where? I am asking if somebody knows of a particular wire harness / junction where I can install a Y distributor so that I can power the charger. Any ideas, directions on where to find such a junction in Avensis wiring schematics are welcome.

Okay. Let's assume the battery charge is not an issue. It has a 55 Ah battery or so, while the mobile charger needs 1Ah at max (but I'd bet less than 0,5Ah actually). Also it does not drain so much power all the time, only while the phone is being charged (2-3 hours), then in standby it maybe needs 0,1A or maybe even much less.

I calculated that even if I left my phone in the car, it would take weeks if not months to use all power up, given that I never start the car, which is not the case...

Also broken glasses are not a problem, because I'd hide the charger and the phone in the glove box. All the wiring would go behind the dashboard.

I thought about the interior lights, but the problem is that electricity is cut off when doors are closed, or when light switch on roof is shut off. I need power when doors are closed and all lights are off.

Clearly interior lights and their switches do get the power from somewhere, the question is where? I am asking if somebody knows of a particular wire harness / junction where I can install a Y distributor so that I can power the charger. Any ideas, directions on where to find such a junction in Avensis wiring schematics are welcome.

Use the interior light (driver side) to get the power as mentioned earlier. Simple and you can have on and off switch (switch for interior light).

If you like complicated and sophisticated work, then you need to remove the stereo, fascia on the gear, and the central glove box. Run the wire from the stereo (permanent positive and not linked with AC switch) and get in under the fascia to central glove box. But remember, while you will be drive, it is not adviseable to charge it there, as it will not be convenient for you to look at.

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links