Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Avensis 08 2.2 D4D Owner

DarrenM

Hello everyone.

I've been big into cars and engines for years and I know a decent amount about how stuff works.

I've recently bought a 2008 Avensis 2.2 TR D4D 150bhp. The performance is a bit underwhelming but it seems to run fine, no smoke, no lurching etc. so I don't think anything is actually broken.

It's got full service history from Toyota but obviously they will only do the bare minimum and the car has done 87,000 so I'd like to give it the once over myself.

From preliminary investigations on here it seems the first thing I should do is clean the EGR and the MAF. I've also got squeaky brakes so I'll probably need some copper slip on the back of the pads.

Is there anything else I should do? Do the fuel filters need changing etc that the stealers don't actually do? Can I de-EGR the engine with a remap etc?

Thanks for reading.

Darren

Welcome to TOC Darren :thumbsup:

Hello everyone.

I've been big into cars and engines for years and I know a decent amount about how stuff works.

I've recently bought a 2008 Avensis 2.2 TR D4D 150bhp. The performance is a bit underwhelming but it seems to run fine, no smoke, no lurching etc. so I don't think anything is actually broken.

It's got full service history from Toyota but obviously they will only do the bare minimum and the car has done 87,000 so I'd like to give it the once over myself.

From preliminary investigations on here it seems the first thing I should do is clean the EGR and the MAF. I've also got squeaky brakes so I'll probably need some copper slip on the back of the pads.

Is there anything else I should do? Do the fuel filters need changing etc that the stealers don't actually do? Can I de-EGR the engine with a remap etc?

Thanks for reading.

Darren

Hello and welcome Darren,

you seem to be on the right track with most of your suggestions. I know what you mean when you mention about what has actually been done during service by a dealer or garage and from my own point of view I would just do it all myself as a belt and braces thing then I know exactly where i'm up to with a fresh start. This sounds a bit sad but I always mark and date filters etc when I fit them for my own benefit and also if you do get a service done to keep up the warranty terms then it's easy to check what was done by them later. As far as am aware you can't blank off the EGR system but the good news is you can buy some kit from Parts King (on this forum) at Lindop Bros Toyota dealers to boost your power by around 30 bhp.There has been a lot of discussion about this on the forum and although expensive it does actually boost power and increase mpg, the Toyota (Denso) ECU cannot be remapped for extra power.

Good luck with the car .... Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links