Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Tailgate Lock

Devil-ish

I know I have posted this somewhere........... :unsure: but cant find it! So here goes -

I took car in because of the rust showing under the rear door locking unit, having seen posts about it on here.

They said they had to refer the job to Toyota HQ before repairs were made. :disgust:

Got phone call and its booked in on Monday for a 4 days job :o . Hmmm wonder what it will entail, obviously a big job!!!

Getting a courtesy car of course for which I have to pay £10 extra on their insurance in case of accident......... :censor: I totally think its wrong that I should have to pay this and have told them so but its made no difference. After all its their fault the car needs to go in :ffs:

Sounds to me like it will be getting a new tailgate!

Insurance fees can be frustrating but Toyota do not cover you for that in a loan car. In fact they don't even have to supply you with a loan car. The loan car will be owned by your dealer who must ensure you are covered when you are driving their car. You also need to find out how much the excess is if you do have a bump, ours is £500 :eek:

The other route would be to insure it via your own insurance company, but they would also charge you and it is likely to be more expensive than £10

Kingo :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like it will be getting a new tailgate!

Insurance fees can be frustrating but Toyota do not cover you for that in a loan car. In fact they don't even have to supply you with a loan car. The loan car will be owned by your dealer who must ensure you are covered when you are driving their car. You also need to find out how much the excess is if you do have a bump, ours is £500 :eek:

The other route would be to insure it via your own insurance company, but they would also charge you and it is likely to be more expensive than £10

Its a shame my ickle bump is JUST below the door then! 4 days seems a long time for replacing a tailgate???

Yes it is a bit long, two days would do it

They did say it was something they hadnt come by before.....maybes they will have all the 'big boys' inspecting it!!!! :rolleyes:

They did say it was something they hadnt come by before.....maybes they will have all the 'big boys' inspecting it!!!! :rolleyes:

Surely all IQs are likely to have the same problem.

They all have the same rear hatch with the rusting component in the lock mechanism which eventually will allow a rust trail to run down under the catch handle.

I reported it at my last service and they said to keep an eye on it, but I would hope the head office are now aware of a possible rash of requests for new rear doors!

That seems a bit excessive as it is not the door that is rusting, it is a component in the catch mechanism, as far as I can tell.

I hope they have changed the spec. of the faulty part in the latest builds.

Right car has gone in for the back door apparently being stripped and repainted! Also Mr T has rung us and quoted a very fair price for doing a re paint on a scrape on the back wing and a dint and scratch on the back bumper so they are doing that too at the same time. :yes:

So when it comes home it will be as good as new again :yahoo:

Right car has gone in for the back door apparently being stripped and repainted! Also Mr T has rung us and quoted a very fair price for doing a re paint on a scrape on the back wing and a dint and scratch on the back bumper so they are doing that too at the same time. :yes:

So when it comes home it will be as good as new again :yahoo:

Got it back yesterday. Back door looks fine and side looks good! However can still see on the back bumper where its been 'repaired' - there is a crease left over so its going back, I didnt pay £240 for a flash over :censor:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links