Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla E12 Reliability

Red diesel

There is a slim possibility that if the NCT man (irish MOT) has a big repair list (car old and worth :censor: all so it wouldn't take much

to make it not worth repairing) one of my familys cars may need replacing.

Was thinking (shameful i know lol :rolleyes: ) of Fiesta Mk 6s as they are okay(ish) to drive and should do the job.

But when one sits into an E12 it makes the Ford seem like a complete ball of :censor: in comparison, as in like why the :censor:

would you buy a Fiesta.

So folks whats general reliability like on the E12 - and whats the chances of getting caught with a VVTI that uses loads of oil.

Its the reports that used to do the rounds about VVTI oil consumption that was turning me off the E12 and had me thinking of (ahem) Fiestas

I could go diesel - but (and its a big but) most Irish E12 diesels are the 1.4 D4Ds. Unfortunately a very decent trader in our area is very

slow to stock D4D 1.4s because (apparently) the the 1.4 D4D are worse for drinking oil than the VVTis.

So its VVTis or no go - and sadly going to the UK to buy a 2 litre D4D isn't an option because by the time youve paid flights and other

expenses plus the silly VRT you must pay on an import - youve probably gone a long way towards fixing a VVTI.

What else goes wrong on E12s besides drinking oil, one more thing - whats making me think twice on the Fiesta is that (i think)

the Mk 6 has can bus electronics. Does the E12 have canbus too (hope not - may have to investigate daddy Subaru if so lol but they drink fuel)

Thanks for the help and advice

Red diesel

My dad owns a CTS, and his other half owns a Fiesta. They both have pretty well exactly the same mileage now, and the Fiesta is rattling, banging, groaning and the engine just doesn't look or sound to great. The CTS on the other hand still feels tight as a drum and the only fault we have is with the MAF sensor, and that's only because we fitted an aftermarket filter! :lol:

There really is no comparison, the E12 trumps all with reliability, Ford..... I'm sorry but just no.

KP

I thought the oil issues were in the 1.8 VVTi petrol engines found on the Avensis and Celica? huh.gif

i have both although mines a mk5 fiesta zs and the e12 is in a different league altogether. and i wouldn't say the oil comsumption is bad at all ive had my rolla for nearly 6 months and put half a litre in and have done about 4000 miles and as for relaibility the toyota knocks the spots off the ford, the mk6 has gearbox issues and certain ones were recalled as they kept jumping out of gear, not heard of many problems with the e12s apartfrom whats said above :thumbsup:

And yes Gaz you're right about the Oil Consumption. The 1.6 used to have issues with the AE111 (think that's the right one) and the rest was to do with the 1.8 VVTi's.

And yes Gaz you're right about the Oil Consumption. The 1.6 used to have issues with the AE111 (think that's the right one) and the rest was to do with the 1.8 VVTi's.

I'm gonna frame that.... :lol:

My dad owns a CTS, and his other half owns a Fiesta. They both have pretty well exactly the same mileage now, and the Fiesta is rattling, banging, groaning and the engine just doesn't look or sound to great. The CTS on the other hand still feels tight as a drum and the only fault we have is with the MAF sensor, and that's only because we fitted an aftermarket filter! :lol:

There really is no comparison, the E12 trumps all with reliability, Ford..... I'm sorry but just no.

KP

i have both although mines a mk5 fiesta zs and the e12 is in a different league altogether. and i wouldn't say the oil comsumption is bad at all ive had my rolla for nearly 6 months and put half a litre in and have done about 4000 miles and as for relaibility the toyota knocks the spots off the ford, the mk6 has gearbox issues and certain ones were recalled as they kept jumping out of gear, not heard of many problems with the e12s apartfrom whats said above :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: cheers lads - must have being losing my marbles to think Mk 6 Fiesta in the first place lol, the trouble was that the low

mileage petrol i was in once a upon a time was quite a nice car on the road. Ive never driven a high mileage Mk 6 - i guess id soon see some

crappiness if i did :lol: . Anyway - theres no doubt that the E12 is a nicer car than the Mk 6. I just can't be doing with hearing

about this car i suggested thats now burning a litre of oil per 1000 miles. Yarises don't have the oil consumption issues but (irrational i

know) but i don't really like them. Which should be irrelevant because the cars not for me, but - ive got a car in the yard that i want to

keep the mileage down on (because i want to keep it forever) and this new one would be replacing a car thats only done 5000 miles since

09. So if the new one was going to be something i liked - i would be inclined to contribute a sizeable proportion of the purchase price

and whack some miles up on the new one and have it earning its keep lol. A Yaris - sadly in comparison to an E12 - i struggle to bear the

thought of looking at it in the front yard. Very good cars the Yaris - i just don't like how they drive - too much sway on imperfections and stuff.

Thanks for the feedback

Red diesel

I havent been too impressed with the reliability of my COROLLA! Had engine management light issues earlier And had extremely worn cam followers which made my car sound worst than a DIESEL!! But these were sorted out under warranty :D So I cant complain .

However generally very reliable and smooth engine, It seems the previous owner of my car used to rag it alot!

I havent been too impressed with the reliability of my COROLLA! Had engine management light issues earlier And had extremely worn cam followers which made my car sound worst than a DIESEL!! But these were sorted out under warranty :D So I cant complain .

However generally very reliable and smooth engine, It seems the previous owner of my car used to rag it alot!

You're one of a few rare cases mate :yes: If you think about the percentage of people who have issues against those who have plain sailing... it's amazing :D Glad you got it all sorted though!

KP

all vvtis burn a bit of oil mate but you probably wont even notice it! its nothing to worry about, you should be changing the oil at least once a year anyway so why should it make any difference? :) make sure you get some pics up of your new corolla dude!

far as i am aware the 1.4d4d doesn't burn oil and the 2.0d4d has no issues whatsoever i've had mine for over a year now and apart from me driving like an idiot sometimes (smashing off wing mirrors etc) the car has no issues with reliability whatsoever. i literally put fuel in and drive it - simple as that. don't have to worry about ford/vauxhall drivers worrying about whether the car will start in the morning in the snow weather lol!

i can't speak for the petrol engines other than to say that i have no reason to believe they are not equally as reliable as the diesel variants. the t-sport is made to be driven hard it's a 'sporty' model so obviously boy racers as previous owners are not good news.

Unfortunately ive being redoing the sums :crybaby: - i unfortunately overlooked the cost of doing other things

i want to do this year and/or next year. So no E12 Corolla :crybaby: , its all going to be nice and boring and costs will have be kept to a

minimum. So if a replacement car can be got for 500 euro than thats whats going to have be bought :lol: , Yes i know the car wasn't for me in the first place. But for 2500 miles a year anything dear can't be justified - obviously had the sums worked out - id have paid a sizeable

proportion of the purchase price. Unfortunately that won't be happening and (quite justifiably) my family member simply wants something that

will take them to bingo/church/shops a couple of times a week.

So you get to the point where if you can get an immaculate Mk 5 Fiesta for 700 euro then thats going to be a better car than a poor

condition Yaris for 1100. So the new shortlist is whatever can be got in immaculate condition for as cheap as possible as quick as possible.

As it happens the current car is actually in okay condition - the main worry is emissions which it needed two gos last time out to pass,

the main concern is that it needs either a) injectors or B) engine rebuild/replacement. But it actually drives perfectly and the only syntom is that if you leave it for a few hours (its diesel) it wil smoke for the 1st 5 minutes after cold start. Perfect after that - so hopefully it may

be okay.

But thanks for the help anyway

Red diesel