Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E Headlight Issues

murpy8210

Hi Everyone,

Looking for someone with carina E expertise, my problem is as follows:

Car: 1996 TD Carina E

Dipped & head lights don't work, the parking(side)lights work fine, when I turn the switch on the end of the column stalk to the full beam position.

When I pull back the stalk the the head lights come on okay.

there's nothing. I have done the following:

- checked the bulbs.

- I have replaced the control stalk but this has not fixed the problem.

- I have replaced the relay and fuses but this still has not fixed the problem.

- I have checked to make sure there are live wires going to the light stalk and relay but this all seems fine.

I have checked the wiring diagram in the haynes manual, and think the problem may be associated with the diode in the circuit, does anyone know where this diode is, cant find it for the life of me!!. I also have a non-turbo 96 carina (strange i know, but I've a bit of a fascination with them!!) and this diode is located on the driver footwell fuse board, but not on the turbocharged one.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Earths OK?

If the Lights aren't working at all then spray your connections with some WD40 and give it another go. However you mentioned that they work when you pull the stalk back, so there is more likely to be an issue with a switch within the stalk. What parts of it did you replace?

KP

Hi mate if you could just drag your self away from that problem for a sec seeing that you are keen fan of the diesel model! what mpg do you get on the motorway at a constant 80 mph

Geting back to your head light problem have you double checked the block connectors when you replaced the original part and that the wires going into the blocks are making proper contact and any earth wires are sound?

If the Lights aren't working at all then spray your connections with some WD40 and give it another go. However you mentioned that they work when you pull the stalk back, so there is more likely to be an issue with a switch within the stalk. What parts of it did you replace?

KP

Cheers for the pointers KP. Pretty sure all the block connections are ok though. Yip was convinced it was the stalk myself too, I replaced the entire stalk, but no good.

MM

Hi mate if you could just drag your self away from that problem for a sec seeing that you are keen fan of the diesel model! what mpg do you get on the motorway at a constant 80 mph

Geting back to your head light problem have you double checked the block connectors when you replaced the original part and that the wires going into the blocks are making proper contact and any earth wires are sound?

Hi there,

TBH they're not known for being the lightest car on diesel, I've never checked the MPG myself. As they're only 5 speed you'd be looking at high RPMs on the motorway and high enough fuel consumption, I'd imagine they wouldn't be any lighter than a petrol one. If you're going to be doing a lot of motorway mileage perhaps you'd be better looking for something with a 6 speed box, the expense though! I reckon the carina would do 47-48 MPG on normal 50-60mph driving though.

Yip, might have another go with the earths though, as i'm kinda out of other ideas, cheers for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, If hava got exactly the same problem.

No lights, fuses, relais, en stick OK , I also resplaced the stick without any result.

Going to chech all the wiring specially the earth, according to a multimeter with beep it is ok. Going to check with a desent current to check for resistances in the cabele and connections.

Later more

Found my problemand coused is myself......

Ik replaced the foglight swithc cause is was not stable ( riding over a bump caused the fog light to switch on)

The new foglight switch which i becam from a carjumble has less pins then th original one, but hte fog light was ok so I did not care.

Later when i needed to ride in the dark my headlights did not want to work.

I replaced the foglight swith bij the original one and the headlight work......

Check or replace your foglight switch !

The foglight switch can be taken apart, in ther there is a little printed circuit board with lose solder connections. resolder en mount again and the problem is solved.