Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Help For Airbag

fazel

I had a landcruiser gxr v6 2009 model.

i had a accident where the car flipped 5 times and 2 people were dead on the spot , it is full damaged but i am surprised about the airbag, none of the airbag's deployed , if the airbags would deploy maybe those lives could be save . could some one help about the airbag . It had to deploy in this case or not . Could i complain to toyota or not??

post-107718-0-84797100-1302778773_thumb.

RIP those two people.

How did the accident happen, and at what speed? Were the people wearing seat belts?

The airbag is normally designed to only inflate in mild to severe frontal crashes.

I see lots of cars where the air bag does not go off, and people wonder why.

Airbags deploy very quickly and for one reason, crash sensors detect the sudden reduction in speed and send a signal to the airbag inflator which fills the bag with a gas. When the airbag goes off, it deflates nearly as quickly, you wouldnt want the airbag to block your airway!

What I would expect is that your car swerved out of the way, maybe not hitting anything, but then flipped as the car lost control. it is very sad about the passengers, I suspect they were not wearing seatbelts? The sytem would not then detect a sudden decelleration so the air bags didnt go off. For the car to flip 5 times there would be a significant speed involved, and no matter how many restraint systems are fitted, you have less chance of survival the faster you are travelling, particularly if the passengers did not wear a seat belt

I am sorry for your loss of course but I doubt the airbags were faulty, The forum is not the place to get expert opinion, for that you need to consult a lawyer and an expert on vehicle safety systems to see if there was a fault at the time of impact

Kingo :thumbsup:

Air-bags and active seat harness restraints are classed as secondary restraint systems and are not designed to replace the correct wearing of seat belts but as a suppliment.

Looking at the photograph the cabin Shell of the car looks largely intact as it is supposed to do in such an event - all credit to Toyotas safety design.

The secondary restraint system is activated by an inertia system so it is possible if the vehicle only rolled they may have been insufficient change in energy direction to activate the system.

I know of a Renault Megane that rolled down a very steep bank for a distance of 300 feet and the secondary system didn't activate - thankfully all inside walked away with minor bumps and grazes as they were restrained by their seat belts. This incident occured in New Zealand.

It is always sad to hear of unnecessary loss of life.

hey parts king

i was driving at a speed 100 to 110 km/h . Yes i went out of control as a truck over-took me a at a sudden so i changed lane and went lost my control .

Btw how many airbags does this car have? people say the airbag should have inflated in this case maybe the life of the passenger could be saved? some say it will not inflate ?

I would not expect the airbag to go off in the circumstances you describe (losing control after changing lanes). The airbag is normally designed to only inflate in mild to severe frontal crashes.

I dont know the specification of your Landcruiser so I am unable to tell you how many airbags it has

Were you all wearing seat belts?

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links