Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Sportif

neilbld

My P-reg Starlet Sportif last had a new cambelt in 2002, since when it has done about 15,000 miles (45,000 from new). The belt is overdue on time but well under on milage. The engine is a 4E series. If the belt were to snap would the engine be wrecked, or would it just stop? I have seen one comment that the 4E series is non-interference and the engine would not be damaged if the belt goes. Please can someone confirm this?

Neilbld

• 2 weeks later...

I think generally on most vehicles it is a case of what is going on with the engine at that moment it snaps, for example, if the engine is under load eg accelerating hard or climbing a hill, it has a greater chance of damaging the internals of the engine, bending valves and rods etc than if it were at a lower engine speed. But its all hit and miss. Im no mechanic, but if your worried id get it changed. Could save you a whole barrel of invoices and receipts in time to come!

I think generally on most vehicles it is a case of what is going on with the engine at that moment it snaps, for example, if the engine is under load eg accelerating hard or climbing a hill, it has a greater chance of damaging the internals of the engine, bending valves and rods etc than if it were at a lower engine speed. But its all hit and miss. Im no mechanic, but if your worried id get it changed. Could save you a whole barrel of invoices and receipts in time to come!

Thanks Loguey. It's a bit of a balancing act - value of car v cost of belt replacement. Regards Neilbld

In the Haynes manual for the 4EFE 1.3 it says change cam belt every 6 years or 90,000Km. Sooner if engine has a hard life! Also it will do severe damage if it breaks when running.

An hours work and cam belt kit for £20 :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Yh mate my cambelt needs changing too. Its only £20 odd from toyota and a quick job so well worth it :)

Yh mate my cambelt needs changing too. Its only £20 odd from toyota and a quick job so well worth it :)

Thanks Amir

Well actually the kit is £55+ that includes the belt, idler and tentioner bearings! But still not bad tho.

AND..I'd like to add that I started to change mine today! Sprayed all nuts and bolts last night.......but.....what a barsteward of a job! Should be so simple, but the undertray bolts were rusted and had little or no head to them and 2 of them sheared off. One needed a chisel!

Then the cam cover is so awkward to get spanners/sockets to fit.

Also the steering pump 14mm bolt is a swine cos the adjuster stops decent swing on the spanner and a socket won't get in cos of the pulley.

Then the crankshaft pulley nut wouldn't undo with the engine/gearbox locked in first and brakes on. Too much slack and I could get about 3/4 of a turn before force was needed.

In the end had to make a pulley lock with flat bar and 2 M12 tapped holes with M12 bolts through spaced 38mm apart to go through the pulley wheel slots.

But then I have yet to unbolt the second aux belt pulley off the crankshaft pulley to enable it to be pulled from the shaft cos it hits the bulkhead. Then the bottom half of the belt cover to come off.

Then......

AND..I'd like to add that I started to change mine today! Sprayed all nuts and bolts last night.......but.....what a barsteward of a job! Should be so simple, but the undertray bolts were rusted and had little or no head to them and 2 of them sheared off. One needed a chisel!

Then the cam cover is so awkward to get spanners/sockets to fit.

Also the steering pump 14mm bolt is a swine cos the adjuster stops decent swing on the spanner and a socket won't get in cos of the pulley.

Then the crankshaft pulley nut wouldn't undo with the engine/gearbox locked in first and brakes on. Too much slack and I could get about 3/4 of a turn before force was needed.

In the end had to make a pulley lock with flat bar and 2 M12 tapped holes with M12 bolts through spaced 38mm apart to go through the pulley wheel slots.

But then I have yet to unbolt the second aux belt pulley off the crankshaft pulley to enable it to be pulled from the shaft cos it hits the bulkhead. Then the bottom half of the belt cover to come off.

Then......

You have my deepest sympathy Dicky-Art; sounds like a nightmare. One thing for sure - I shan't be trying this myself! Definitely one for the professionals. Best of luck, hope you get it all working without further horrors.

Think I'll replace the auxiliary belts while I'm at it! Lucky I don't need the car for a week or so :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links