Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rattle Underneath

andrewfq

Hi guys,

My Auris has a piece of metal on the underside that doesn't appear attached properly that is causing rattling through vibration when the engine is running. I'm not entirely sure what the piece, whether a shield for the exhaust or something else. This is in picture 1 if anyone can tell me and if it is something I need to worry about it. Picture 2 is something of the same material beneath the engine, I'm guessing this is possibly the sump guard, not sure if this is rattling through.

I will add the car is going in to Toyota this week anyway, but thoughts are appreciated. I've got to take it in because of the steering causing clicking noises which has been mentioned on here before. So hopefully they will fix this in warranty.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Andrew

post-15677-0-44757000-1303046966_thumb.j

post-15677-0-80292500-1303047024_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks like a heat shield to protect underside from exhaust heat, def doesnt look attached properly....

Good idea to book it in, hopefully between now and then it wont come off when you're driving!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hello

Apologies for digging up this old thread, however the exhaust heat shield on my Auris T180 is looking and sounding very similar to Andrew's. Just wondering if anyone has came across the same and what the outcome with Toyota was? I realise that I will have to book the car into Toyota for repair however was looking for some guidance on how serious a nature the problem is and likely repair costs.

Kind regards

John

I had a similar problem with my 2.0 D-4D, nothing a few cable ties can't fix...

Thanks for your reply UnReaLT

I suspect it would be easy enough to sort (and I've got loads of cable ties!), however gaining access to the underside of the car is probably the most challenging part. I phoned my local Toyota dealership however they're running on a skeletal staff until Monday due to seasonal holidays, so I've booked the car into my local garage for tomorrow morning. Fortunately the heat shield is holding on, it's just making a nasty rattle while the car is running.

Kind regards

John

• 1 month later...

Hi. Having the same problem on our Auris. The middle part of the heat shield is resting on the exhaust itself. No weight in it but worry it grazing the metal and causing long-term rust areas. The bolt locations have torn so nothing to re-attach with. Any tips? Thanks, Ian

had my auirs t180 in for same repair heat sheild next time i wiil bin it

• 3 years later...

Must be a common problem on Auris. Mine is doing the same thing. Thinkthe problem is with the threads on the nuts/screws. Toyota have told methey will need to use washers to bridge the gap to stop the vibration.

I think its a common problem on a lot of modern cars my mum's went on her corolla .... It's a bimetallic corrosion issue the heat shield is made of ally and the washers and screws are made of steel they just eat each other and eventually something gives normally the ally as it is softer metal and a lot of people just use big washers and a rubber grommet to stop it but it is only a time buyer I removed the ones where they started to rattle ... And it saves a little bit of weight .... You might get an advisory for missing heat shield on mot if the tester is picky but I've never had a problem

Our Auris had the same problem, solved by a bigger washer. But why is this happening on a car 5 years old. We have two avensis that are 10 years old and have done more than triple miles and they do not have this problem. Is it the rattling nature of the Auris or something else.

This seems a common problem on Toyota's, i have a Rav myself and many people have said their heat sheilds on Rav's have corroded and rattle, they usually just throw them away.

Mike.

They are pretty much a problem on any car that has a heat shield, I ended up. bining mine on my Avensis when I replaced the exhaust, haven't had any problems from doing so.

I have had the same problem . I have had tio fix it twice on 2007 Auris. The exhaust heat shield shears round the shield retaining bolts and drops onto exhaust pipe, hence the rattle.

Easily fixed by using larger washers, big as you can get will spread the load.

• 3 months later...

Well I'm the OP and I've just noticed my bit in the middle has actually fallen off somewhere along the road. :D

I still have a section on the driver side of the car hanging on, but I'm dithering about whether to take it off or get another heat shield put on the car. I do some of my own work on the car now with a mechanic friend (I fix his PCs and stuff) so would hope it wouldn't be a costly part to fix.

At least when it happened the first time Toyota sorted it for nowt. :)

I would just remove them as they go as your only buying time .... I take em off if they are rattling and that's on any car .... If you buy another heat shield you will have the same problem later if you wanna keep it on, use a rubber washer between a bigger washer that covers the hole and the heat shield it's a damn sight cheaper plus if you accidentally shear a threaded portion on it and you have laid out for a heat shield you'll be annoyed where as a handful of washers and grommets that cost like 30p from somewhere no big loss as they could be used elsewhere

don't those heat shields play an important part for you dieselly guys when your DPF goes through a regeneration, keeping the heat around the DPF instead of allowing it to radiate away?

Oh and another thing, going by previous posts on here where you should notify your insurance company if you increase your tyre pressures by a few psi, shouldn't you also inform them if you remove your heat shiedl in case some scally sets fire to your car and they deny the claim?

No DPF on my car .... As for insurance Tom I see your point they are that picky ( avoiding paying out ) but I reckon you might be safe.... LOL

don't those heat shields play an important part for you dieselly guys when your DPF goes through a regeneration, keeping the heat around the DPF instead of allowing it to radiate away?

Oh and another thing, going by previous posts on here where you should notify your insurance company if you increase your tyre pressures by a few psi, shouldn't you also inform them if you remove your heat shiedl in case some scally sets fire to your car and they deny the claim?

Haven't read any previous posts pertaining to insurance and tyre pressure,just read your reply now.Surely no one notifys the insurance company about tyre pressure,you're being tongue in cheek surely.If that were true then I should inform them I've stripped out my air con and asscociated components which I've obviously not mentioned and see no reason I should.

As for heat shields,they became ubiquitous with the adoption of catalytic converters which are hot by nature and are required to be to work efficiently.

Have you never read your owners manual where it advises you not to park on dry leaves or grass with the engine at full temp because the heat of the cat may set fire to dry undergrowth lol

• Like 1

That would explain the trail of fire following me thru the dried out fields when I'm going over them I was aiming for 88 to go back to the future .... Rofl

Fastbob, aye it was a bit tongue in cheek. Or half in fun, whole in earnest maybe when you think of what you hear about insurance companies. Just think if you had an electrical fire in your car and the insurance engineer guy came to check your car out - they'll take his report to use as a get out in any way they can. If he reports that the vehicle had heat shields missing then that might be technical enough for them to say Tough Luck, claim denied..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some differences of opinion, but including off-site, people are saying not to worry about it.

Time got away from me a little so I've not had the chance to speak with Toyota about a replacement, but I wonder if my local would be able to source a part like this.

Does anyone have an idea on cost out of interest?

Your local garage would probably make one up use some huge washers or remove it ....

• 1 year later...

Our 5 year old   Auris had a broken rear heat shield which has now been fixed by main dealer. I notice that whilst the original shield was in one piece the replacement is in two pieces pop riveted together. In fact it would appear, though I can't be sure, that only the rear part of the shield has been replaced and pop rivted to the old front piece. The rear part looks shiny new whilst the front part is a different colour and looks similar to the one that was hanging down and banging on a cross piece.

Anyone else had the shield replaced in this manner?

I fixed it myself so can't say how dealer would fix it. It is a common problem with the Auris as my daughter has a 2008 Auris and had the same problem which I also have fixed.

Dealer charged £60 to fix it.  Still not sure if the whole shield was replaced or just the rear part.