Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Nasty Clutch Problem

aberdon

Hi, just wondering if anyone can please help with this problem on my 55 plate Aygo with 78k on clock?

When driving along road MMT warning light will suddenly come on and at same time car goes into neutral, several seconds later it will go back into gear and light goes off. This happens at any speed and even at junctions when stationary it will sometimes go into neutral then jump into gear without warning and lurch forward, it happens on both manual and E mode. Often sounds like it engages clutch then immediately disengages.

Last time car worked fine for about 10 miles then problems started again.

Local garage have come out and tested ECU which says there is no fault code only that the Cruise Control?? is engaged.

Have searched forum and googled fault but cant seem to find similar problem, any advise appreciated...

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

Can't help with your particular problem, but will say this:

"local garage have come out ..... Cruise control???

They know !Removed!?

THE AYGO DOES NOT HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!

It's a cheap city car that is too cheap for it!!

Just shows the folly of using "local " garages!

There is another thread on here at the moment in the Prius forum where some poor guy got screwed by a local garage who knew jacksh1t about the car and seem to have landed him with a large bill....

No doubt someone will come along on here and help you out though!

Good luck pal :thumbsup:

Welcome to the club :thumbsup: sorry to say the MMT is a main dealer only to fix, yes it has a clutch like other cars but its the electronics that need to be shut down before stripping and a test procedure and ecu set up once the job is finished.

You maybe luck and the ecu need updating or resetting but at 78k, it could well be time for a clutch, going by other threads it looks like a £600-800 job...take a deep breath and give your local Toyota dealer a call, and let us know how you get on :)

I believe the MMT box has its own ECU and does not use the engine one. I have not been able to locate it but the schematics show it as attached. It does seem like a clutch job.

post-18994-0-37910100-1303582886_thumb.j

jees i haven't been on here in ages!

the thing we do every time it goes in for a service is ask them to reset the box ecu. apparently it makes adjustments on tyre wear, clutch wear etc on its own and isn't very good at it. so after a few months we end up with jerking, lurching and juddering. when it comes back from toyota, its fine after a reset.

it took about 6 calls to get them to fess up to it being the 'fix' they did on our car.

make sure you have the latest software, ours i think was renewed either 2009 or 2010, so if you have dropped out of the dealer network you might not have it.

hope this helps.

oh, ours is an '05 car, apparently one of the first in the UK. we use it every day to commute....if any of that helps!

Thanks for your replies, looks like its a trip to Mr T to get the software, clutch etc checked.

Will let you know what the problem is.....

• 2 months later...

MMT problem fixed by Toyota they replaced a corroded clutch thrust bearing and the clutch actuator. Managed to get a used actuator for £200 otherwise Toyota were going to charge £720 for a new one.

MMT problem fixed by Toyota they replaced a corroded clutch thrust bearing and the clutch actuator. Managed to get a used actuator for £200 otherwise Toyota were going to charge £720 for a new one.

What was the total cost?

Did they fit a complete clutch while everything was in bits?

If they did, any idea if they fitted the larger clutch?

Just after as much info. as possible for when MY clutch eventually wears out.

Cheers.

Ian.

What was the total cost?

Cheers.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Total cost £800, £50 thruster bearing, £200 used actuator, £30 gear oil?, £520 in labour. Couldnt find out from anyone whether it was only Toyota that could "reset" the actuator after it was fitted or would have taken it somewhere that didn't charge £80 an hour labour!! They did check the clutch and said it was fine.

What was the total cost?

Cheers.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Total cost £800, £50 thruster bearing, £200 used actuator, £30 gear oil?, £520 in labour. Couldnt find out from anyone whether it was only Toyota that could "reset" the actuator after it was fitted or would have taken it somewhere that didn't charge £80 an hour labour!! They did check the clutch and said it was fine.

Cheers for the info.

Ian.

Hi!

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'm trying to diagnose a similar problem with my little Aygo. Did you experience any beeps on the dashboard when this happened?

I have a 56 reg MMT and only recently have had trouble accelerating. I don't get any warning lights but a succession of 5 short beeps when I press the accelerator (normally on a hill, or trying to pick up speed). I described it to the dealer as feeling like I was accelerating in neutral, but didn't actually check the dash to see if it was jumping like yours.

I've just driven back from the dealer who re-calibrated the MMT, which has made the ride smoother but i'm still getting the beeps and lack luster acceleration. :(

Has anyone heard of this before?

Thanks in advance!

Jess

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Sorry to hijack your thread, I'm trying to diagnose a similar problem with my little Aygo. Did you experience any beeps on the dashboard when this happened?

I have a 56 reg MMT and only recently have had trouble accelerating. I don't get any warning lights but a succession of 5 short beeps when I press the accelerator (normally on a hill, or trying to pick up speed). I described it to the dealer as feeling like I was accelerating in neutral, but didn't actually check the dash to see if it was jumping like yours.

I've just driven back from the dealer who re-calibrated the MMT, which has made the ride smoother but i'm still getting the beeps and lack luster acceleration. :(

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Hi Jess, sorry for delay in replying not been on in a while. Did you get your problem fixed?

There were no "beeps" on my Aygo just the warning light.

hi there i have a aygo sport.its the mmt 43000 miles.i have all ways the problem with the car not been smooth.when you start up in a cold ,as it moves ,its very very gerky,seems that you let go the clutch tooo quick.i been to the toyota deal get it souted out.but they said its nothing wrong.they already changed the clutch which done 20000 miles.i dont know wheather the car is like that or its normal.

The box can be jerky in certain situations and when manouevering with the car rolling the clutch can sometimes not engage and then when the revs build up engage with a fierce *****.

I think it is because the clutch is engaging too lat. When the clutch is reset there is some creep and the changes are much smoother.Some boxes seem to be adjusted with a permanent creep and others with a very mild creep that disapears as the clutch wears. Creep is the clutch partly engaging and that will cause extra wear but I think leads to snoother changes.

I have read that some people get the clutch reset annually as the changes get gradually jerkier.

The box can be very smooth when changing gear although when changing from 1 to 2 and back to 1

in auto mode it can be jerky.

My experience with the MMT in general is that you can't drive it hard or it will ***** like that when changing gear all the damned time; If you drive it gently it's a lot better, but this doesn't help if you're trying to get onto a busy roundabout!

The only people here that have had good things to say about the MMT drive it in manual mode so that might be worth trying...?

There were also some updates to the newer Auris' MMT which apparently make it almost nice to drive with, but these updates don't seem to have been filtered down to any other MMT-equipped car.

Hi Jess,

have you had any luck? I'm having the exact same problem,

Thanks

Hayley

Hi!

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply - I've just been back from the dealer a second time and they've diagnosed a slipping clutch.

I've been driving very gently since the last visit and only noticed the beeps in extreme circumstance (I assume something is overheating).

They've quoted me £528.67 for a new clutch, with the possibility of a further negotiable discount, although they've quoted me £420 unofficially over the phone before.

Is it usual to replace the clutch completely if it's slipping, and does the price look reasonable?

Thanks again!

Jess

• 4 months later...

Hi, just wondering if anyone can please help with this problem on my 55 plate Aygo with 78k on clock?

When driving along road MMT warning light will suddenly come on and at same time car goes into neutral, several seconds later it will go back into gear and light goes off. This happens at any speed and even at junctions when stationary it will sometimes go into neutral then jump into gear without warning and lurch forward, it happens on both manual and E mode. Often sounds like it engages clutch then immediately disengages.

Last time car worked fine for about 10 miles then problems started again.

Local garage have come out and tested ECU which says there is no fault code only that the Cruise Control?? is engaged.

Have searched forum and googled fault but cant seem to find similar problem, any advise appreciated...

You are not alone! My Aygo MMT (2009) went into neutral and the warning light came on as I drove home on Christmas Day. It would not go back into any gear in easy mode or manual so I drifted to a halt at the side of the road. It took several minutes of fretting and turning the ignition on and off until the gearing came back and I did get home. My Toyota dealership is in the middle of moving location so I can't get it fixed for a couple of weeks. I will go armed with this post. I am very scared of driving it now incase it does it again in a dangerous or tiresome moment. I know you got some parts replaced, did that solve the problem? I am still under warrenty and less than 9000miles on the clock.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am having the same problem with my car going into neutral, twice whilst driving, which I consider to be very dangerous. I took it to our dealer and they quoted £3200 to fix it. The car is only worth slightly more than that when working. The dealer contacted head office who have said they will not contribute to the cost of repair. It has only done 54k on 2008 plate. Surely after so many people having the same problem we can join together and get Toyota to sort out a fault that there when the car was purchased?

Problems with the Multi Mode Transmission can be expensive to fix. With a car outside the new car warranty and without an extended warranty, usually the only avenue to explore is a goodwill contribution towards repairs.

Goodwill contributions are often refused if the vehicle has been taken outside the dealer network for repairs/maintenance - and this stance is common to most manufacturers, not just Toyota.

For example with the timing chain issues that BMW have with the Mini and 1-series engines, BMW said on BBC Watchdog that they would only consider goodwill contributions if the affected car had a BMW service history.

Does your car have a Toyota service history?

Yes it has a full service history with Toyota. One thing for sure if they don't help out, they won't ever see another penny from me.

I am having the same problem with my car going into neutral, twice whilst driving, which I consider to be very dangerous. I took it to our dealer and they quoted £3200 to fix it. The car is only worth slightly more than that when working. The dealer contacted head office who have said they will not contribute to the cost of repair. It has only done 54k on 2008 plate. Surely after so many people having the same problem we can join together and get Toyota to sort out a fault that there when the car was purchased?

If you're saying the fault was there when you purchased the car, how long have you had the car? Did you buy the car from a dealer or was it a private sale?

My 09 Yaris has an MMT problem. Engine malfunction indicator light came on early this month, took it to Toyota who found a fault code PO500, they suspect the ECU is at fault and advised replacement at £1324. Me and my dad have managed to get Toyota head office to do a goodwill contribution, right now its gone in for a two day stay to assess what it needs. More than likely we're going to get it fixed so I can then sell it on or part ex as clean and fixed, as I'm wanting a change of car this year.

The Yaris has only done 33000 miles and its only 5 years old, it was an ex mobility car that I bought from a non toyota dealer.

The problem with the Multi Mode Transmissions and the variations on the theme offered by manufacturers like Fiat, Vauxhall, Mazda, etc, is that they are not true automatics (being manual transmissions with automated clutches), and they are very expensive to repair when they do go wrong.

Most manufacturers have now abandoned this type of transmission, and have moved forwards to things like the Continuously Variable Transmissions (CVT's).

The current Aygo is the only remaining Toyota still offering this transmission in Europe - aside from the Auris which currently still has MMT in Turkey.

I would imagine the new Aygo/Peugeot 108/Citroen C1, due late this year, will move towards offering a CVT in place of MMT..

I hope so, the CVT transmission is the best automatic. I feel like I'm being spoilt with a yaris hybrid for a courtesy car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links