Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mmt Nasty Clutch Problem

aberdon

I have had a phone call from head office today to say that they will not be making any contributions towards the cost. I am not leaving this. I am reporting it to VOSA as it is a safety issue. Going into neutral in fast traffic in fast traffic has turned my car into a death trap. I have not driven it for 8 days because I am scared when it will en again. I am also writing to Watchdog, Which and going to CAB and to anyone else that can advise me and help me get some support in this issue. Up until this point I was an avid Toyota fan but no longer.

If you're saying the fault was there when you purchased the car, how long have you had the car? Did you buy the car from a dealer or was it a private sale?

Also is your car an Aygo or an Auris (your profile shows you have a 2008 Auris)?

• 1 month later...

I am starting to have a similar problem with my 55 plate Peugeot 107. The problem started when they reset my MMT (2-tronics for Peugeot) ECU in my last MOT. I sent the car back for resetting last week and have not driven it for long trip since. They claimed that it might be the actuator problem, but I doubt it. I think it is more of the problem for the self-learning MMT ECU which somehow disengage the clutch completely. When it went into neutral in front of the traffic lights, my only way to make it move again was to switch off ignition, wait for a few seconds, then on again. But it was quite dangerous and embarrassing. If you search the Citroen C1 forum, there were a few reported cases like that as well. We should start petitioning a free fix from Toyota/Peugeot/Citroen if there is an inherited design fault.

If you feel the defect is a safety issue, you can report the defect to VOSA, who, in conjunction with the manufacturer (in your case Peugeot), will look at the evidence provided and decide whether or not a recall is justified. See https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect

Just be aware that unless they have several similar reports, they may decide a recall isn't justified.

• 2 years later...

I'm due to have the clutch replaced on my 2007 Aygo MMT soon, and would like to know what to expect with regards to the driving experience afterwards. For example, the car is very slow to pull away or build up speed at the moment, with a lot of over revving of the engine - will I notice a dramatic improvement here?!

Well if it's replaced and everything's reset it should be more like it was when you bought it I'd imagine!

I generally try to avoid autoboxes so ain't got much experience to draw on there...