Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newb Avensis Rocker Cover Question - Oily Smell In The Car

mac_chris

Dear All,

I have just acquired a 1998 2.0 petrol 4-door Avensis (103k) from a relative and have a quick question regarding an oily smell coming in to the car.

When stationary with the blower on an oily smell is coming in to the cabin - it's not a burned oily smell it's a hot oily smell. A cursory inspection makes me wonder if the rocker cover might be leaking as there appear to be moist deposits going back on to the inlet manifold. Is this a common fault on the 2.0 engine? Presumably changing the rocker cover gasket will sort it out?

The only thing is I can't see how the rocker cover is physically attached to the head - does anyone know either how it works or where I can get hold of a PDF repair manual please?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Dear All,

I have just acquired a 1998 2.0 petrol 4-door Avensis (103k) from a relative and have a quick question regarding an oily smell coming in to the car.

When stationary with the blower on an oily smell is coming in to the cabin - it's not a burned oily smell it's a hot oily smell. A cursory inspection makes me wonder if the rocker cover might be leaking as there appear to be moist deposits going back on to the inlet manifold. Is this a common fault on the 2.0 engine? Presumably changing the rocker cover gasket will sort it out?

The only thing is I can't see how the rocker cover is physically attached to the head - does anyone know either how it works or where I can get hold of a PDF repair manual please?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Just a small addition to the above - oil usage is not abnormal, i.e. it doesn't appear to be losing any currently.

I can't believe no-one knows how these engines are put together! Anyone?

I'm not fsmiliar with your particular model but on a car that age the oil could have come from anywhere. It may even have been dripped into the blower fan to quieten it down a bit as they are annoying when worn and shrieking. It may be worth giving the engine a good clean up to remove any oil deposits - particularly as you state that you aren't losing significant amounts.

Its difficult to offer much more assistance from the information we currently have and it seems like an unusual problem. I have campaigned some old cars in my time (and they were probably much more ropey than yours as you aren't losing oil :) ) and never come across this before.

If cleaning the engine doesn't solve it you may have to strip, clean and re-assemble the fan itself.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not fsmiliar with your particular model but on a car that age the oil could have come from anywhere. It may even have been dripped into the blower fan to quieten it down a bit as they are annoying when worn and shrieking. It may be worth giving the engine a good clean up to remove any oil deposits - particularly as you state that you aren't losing significant amounts.

Its difficult to offer much more assistance from the information we currently have and it seems like an unusual problem. I have campaigned some old cars in my time (and they were probably much more ropey than yours as you aren't losing oil :) ) and never come across this before.

If cleaning the engine doesn't solve it you may have to strip, clean and re-assemble the fan itself.

Good luck.

OK. I've cleaned the oily bits off and ran the engine - there's definitely an oil leak from the rocker cover on the nearside just behind what appears to be the water pump. The only trouble is I can't see how the rocker cover can be removed. There are some large (30 mm) nuts underneath the spark plug HT leads but they're not particularly tight and I can't believe they're the only thing holding the rocker cover on. Does anyone know how the rocker cover is attached?

Many thanks.

Chris

I don't know for sure but I do know that rocker covers are not usually secured with high torque fasteners so it may be those big ones to release it. Normally the only thing that comes out of the rocker cover is the studs that hold it in place. You could always pop along to you local dealer and ask them to show you which ones they are. Worth a try.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links