Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Passenger Side Rear Brake Caliper

Richie B Quick

Hi all,

My 2001 avensis has started making a rubbing/screeching noise from the rear left passenger side brake after driving for around 6 miles. By exercising the foot and hand brake I can often make the noise go away. The noise will then disappear for remainder of journry or even a few days. The other side did somethings similar 12 months ago, which turned out to be a sticking caliper.

Suspecting this to be the same problem I am considering getting a caliper from a breakers and fitting it myself. I used to take my fiesta apart on a fairly regular basis, but havent done too much in recent years.

As the car is getting old I am reluctant to spend too much on it. I was hoping changing the brake caliper would be fairly easy? Remove rear wheel, unbolt caliper, fit new caliper, bleed brakes, etc

Am I missing anything that might make this job difficult?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Hi.

Have you checked that it is not just the brake pads that need replacing? There is a wear indicator fitted to the pads that makes them screech when they need replacing.

Rgds

Terry

Yes need to check that. The odd thing is that they dont screech all the time. Do the wear indicators screech all the time when the pad is worn down or intermittently(like my brakes presently)?

The brakes stop screeching when I apply the brake....thats why I am thinking caliper.

Rich

Often the brake caliper pistons get a bit weathered/rusty. If you strip the pads off and pull back the rubber on the piston there's a good chance you can clean it up using light emery cloth or similar. To do the clean up job properly you should really remove the caliper and push the piston out, clean it up and replace, and refit everything and bleed properly.

Hey presto job done for the sake of some sandpaper and wd40.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for tips. I think I will use the emery cloth tip and replace brake pads at same time. Now just need to find a spare hour or two :-)

thanks again

Rich

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links