Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr180 - New Pistons - Block

davidsr180

hi,

how many of you have had to have a new block / pistons on a t180 or sr 180 ?

common fault .. also blocked erg valve

hi,

how many of you have had to have a new block / pistons on a t180 or sr 180 ?

common fault .. also blocked erg valve

I've had 2 new engines now for my T-180. The previous one only lasted some 8000 miles. Thank God for Toyota's extended warranty :thumbsup:

It happens now and again. What happened David - oh and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Hi,

Just had to have the valve cleaned ..just lost power to start with below 2000 rpm

Then all the warning lights came on ...

Then on way to garage this morning only just got there as nearly lost all power..

Was expecting a sensor playing up, or filter cleaning ...

The dealer phoned and I said problem fixed .. I then said when I collectb the car

I want to speak to the work shop manager re what the fault was and for him to show me .. told

them I was an engineer ... ..my hobby is car racing and I build and race my own cars.

The work shop manager then phoned me and said ... how much oil does it use .. relpy ' a bit' but no too

much for a high performace engine.

He then dropped the bomb Shell ... I think it needs a new block and pistons .. a fault with this engine type of this age .. arround 2008 ... very odd and never ever had a road car need this is 30 years.

Then next rely on the here is two engines so far on a T180 engine .. so .. common fault ?

All I will say is it happens from time to time. To say it is common is probably a bit over the top but some early engines suffered from oil consumption and some from head gasket failure. It sounds like your dealer is going to try and adress both possibilities. I would be inclined to let them get on with it as you will get all the latest spec parts which will future proof it. There is an examination of the bores that will determin if they scrap it or rebuild it - you could end up with a complete new engine :thumbsup:

Hi,

Just had to have the valve cleaned ..just lost power to start with below 2000 rpm

Then all the warning lights came on ...

Then on way to garage this morning only just got there as nearly lost all power..

Was expecting a sensor playing up, or filter cleaning ...

The dealer phoned and I said problem fixed .. I then said when I collectb the car

I want to speak to the work shop manager re what the fault was and for him to show me .. told

them I was an engineer ... ..my hobby is car racing and I build and race my own cars.

The work shop manager then phoned me and said ... how much oil does it use .. relpy ' a bit' but no too

much for a high performace engine.

He then dropped the bomb shell ... I think it needs a new block and pistons .. a fault with this engine type of this age .. arround 2008 ... very odd and never ever had a road car need this is 30 years.

Then next rely on the here is two engines so far on a T180 engine .. so .. common fault ?

How many miles is on the car? Has it got a full main dealer servive history? Toyota extended warranty for the head gasket failure is 112k. I was unlucky as I bought the car with a little over 100k. But I knew there was a new engine fitted by Mr T so thought I would be ok. But it started to lose coolant and had a black tinge in the fluid. So Back to Mr T for another new Short engine.

Toyota Cardiff told me they have seen quite a few T-180 rebuilds now. In fact I had to wait a week to get mine in as the tech was re-building another one.

The EGR valve is an easy clean and there are a few pic's and how do's on here for it. But running the car on Shell V-Power will help so will using a fuel additive called BG244 and Millers.

Hi, may I also add that my 57 plate rav4 has had an engine rebuild at 51,000 miles and now 6,000 miles ish later has got to have a new driveshaft oil seal and a new water pump! a few people have posted on the forum to me that they also had to pay for a new water pump after a new engine, however mine wasn't a new engine-it had new components fitted. I now have to write to Toyota GB stating my case or pay for the work myself! so my advice to you would be make sure you are happy with everything that is done/going to be done and be aware that if you sre unlucky like me you may not have your problems end there!!!!

A worried 2006 T180 owner here, don't like the sound of this one bit. As it happens though I just Cleaned my EGR absolutely choked EGR valve and purchased the BG244 stuff, what else can we do!!?

Blue

A worried 2006 T180 owner here, don't like the sound of this one bit. As it happens though I just Cleaned my EGR absolutely choked EGR valve and purchased the BG244 stuff, what else can we do!!?

Blue

Not a lot tbh mate. I always try prevention rather than cure, thats why I've always used the best fuel,engine/gearbox oil, fuel additives ect. But when a head gasket goes they go! I'm going to looking into an extended warranty as a "Just in case!"

So !Removed! expensive from Toyota though. I recently took out the AA warranty and repair. Some friends and I have used this to good effect over the last few years and it doesn't cost that much more on top when I get free roadside with my bank account

My T180 had new piston rings fitted a couple of years ago due to high oil consumption. They changed the head gasket at same time. If you ring Toyota they will tell you what work has bveen carried out on your car prior to you getting it. Just for peace of mind

Well, Just been shown another RAV in the workshop for a new block and pistons .. very common fault

High oil consumtion leading to the common fault of the blocked ERG valve is as a result of a bad piston ring to block seal. You first of all have to complain about the blocked valve for Toyota to 'own' up to the problem and fix it with the new block and pistons. It is a fault with EVERY 2.2 engine in the RAV and Avensis 2006 to 2009 ..

It is a fault with EVERY 2.2 engine in the RAV and Avensis 2006 to 2009 ..

And the 2.2d Verso

EVERY 2.2 engine in the RAV and Avensis 2006 to 2009 ..

EVERY engine?

Unlikely, but it may be an issue with SOME 2.2 engines across the range.

Mine has been fine.

It is a fault with EVERY 2.2 engine in the RAV and Avensis 2006 to 2009 ..

It is people like you who put the wind up everybody on the forum. yes it is an issue, but it is NOT every car, the problem with forums is you get all the bad news in one place!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Very unlikley the work shop manager of a Toyota main dealer would tell me of a common fault with these engines and have one in the workshop this morning with the same problem if it was just 'the odd car'

In fairness I have read some terrible reports on Landrover and having had a Freelander that broke down 3 times in 2 years from new would not have a Landy given. Credit to Toyota for admitting the fault and putting it right and not putting their head in the sand like some car companies. If your car uses more than the odd pint of oil between services it needs fixing ...

I have a Mini D run about and that has not used a drop of oil since it was services 6000 miles ago at 57000.

My RAV had used 8 / 9 lites of oil in 21,000 ... not good and not right.

Seems to me that a lot of cars across the board that are now using 5w/30 save the planet oil have this burning oil issue, Vw`s Audi`s Volvo`s Ford`s. 2005 onwards

I never came across this issue when using the good old 10w40 or 5w/40 oils?

In all the car manuals it actually states that burning 1 liter of oil per 10k miles is the norm?????? It also states that in extreme driving conditions, it can use more? Define extreme driving conditions, well according to Volvo, this entails, motorway driving, town driving, towing, hot weather, in fact every day driving conditions in my book??? or just stick 5w/40 in and have no issues. It wasn’t pre 2005, never mentioned in manuals as far as I can recall.

O and by the way, a main dealership will lie its back teeth off to get out of a warranty repair, So its right to put the wind up people. :thumbsup:

O and another thing, my TD4 freelander when it was using 5w30 oil which is what Landrover are now recommending, burns this stuff for fun, 10w40 and its not touched a drop. what more can I say.

O and by the way, a main dealership will lie its back teeth off to get out of a warranty repair, So its right to put the wind up people. :thumbsup:

Nonsense! A warranty repair is a paid job just like any other, if you have any issue with a service department, go and see the Service Manager, he wont be best pleased if paying jobs are not being handled correctly and his department are losing money! ;)

Nonsense! A warranty repair is a paid job just like any other, if you have any issue with a service department, go and see the Service Manager, he wont be best pleased if paying jobs are not being handled correctly and his department are losing money! ;)

Its the service managers i`m talking about......

What Kingo says is spot on!

I know this because my brother used to be in charge of warranties at a dealership many years ago, and i know for a fact that it was very rare for any warranty work to be turned away.

My brother also went on to work with Kingo a year or two later, so i can testify to his honesty on the subject.

What Kingo says is spot on!

I know this because my brother used to be in charge of warranties at a dealership many years ago, and i know for a fact that it was very rare for any warranty work to be turned away.

My brother also went on to work with Kingo a year or two later, so i can testify to his honesty on the subject.

There probably not all the same, but I will now never know as I stay well away from them...

I have friends with new Audi`s Vw`s that will not take their cars to a dealership for a service, and there still under manufactures warranty. and I dont blame them. you don`t wont an elephant messing with your pride and joy. :eek:

But fairs fair there probably not all the same................just the majority :ffs:

Just found all the Service Bumf re this post going back to 2008 .. so common fault

There probably not all the same, but I will now never know as I stay well away from them...

But fairs fair there probably not all the same................just the majority :ffs:

So not really qualified to comment then? :lol:

• Like 1

So not really qualified to comment then? :lol:

All I need to know about the competence of dealerships is on the many forums i`m afraid.

Just backs up my previous experience with them. ;-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links