Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 - New Pistons - Block

davidsr180

There probably not all the same, but I will now never know as I stay well away from them...

But fairs fair there probably not all the same................just the majority :ffs:

So not really qualified to comment then? :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

All I need to know about the competence of dealerships is on the many forums i`m afraid.

Just backs up my previous experience with them. ;-)

Whilst there are undoubtedly a lot of problems with many vehichles/manufacturers/dealers, the forums generally do not represent the millions of satisfied customers though..............

They never have recourse to seek additional help.

• Like 1

There probably not all the same, but I will now never know as I stay well away from them...

But fairs fair there probably not all the same................just the majority :ffs:

So not really qualified to comment then? :lol:

All I need to know about the competence of dealerships is on the many forums i`m afraid.

Just backs up my previous experience with them. ;-)

Whilst there are undoubtedly a lot of problems with many vehichles/manufacturers/dealers, the forums generally do not represent the millions of satisfied customers though..............

They never have recourse to seek additional help.

Could that be because they are non the wiser?

This is the sort of thing I am talking about, and its rife in dealerships.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=123325

I feel sorry for the old couple who don`t have a clue when they enter a dealership with a fault. Easy meat springs to mind :crybaby:

Dealerships trying to sell me a whole suspension strut for £450 inc fitting, for a £10 upperbearing fault. :yes:

EVERY 2.2 engine in the RAV and Avensis 2006 to 2009 ..

EVERY engine?

Unlikely, but it may be an issue with SOME 2.2 engines across the range.

Mine has been fine.

Hi dave,glad to hear you had no problems,but what is your miliage though.

whats the average miles before this defect raises its ugly head.

All the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.2 d-cat engines will all most certinly need a rebulid at some point in its life.

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=123325

I feel sorry for the old couple who don`t have a clue when they enter a dealership with a fault. Easy meat springs to mind :crybaby:

Just add to that list, Plumbers, Electricians, Drain "experts" Boiler repair men etc etc, Not all dealerships/ garages/mechanics/plumbers etc are con artists, but there are a few out there and forums only highlight the point, the millions of very satisfied customers dont race to TOC or other forums to tell of the great service they received

Have you checked out the AA Home emergency fiasco? Probably tens of thousands of happy customers but the internet forums are littered with horror stories, its the way it is :rolleyes:

All the 2.0, 2.2 and 2.2 d-cat engines will all most certinly need a rebulid at some point in its life.

What do you mean?

EVERY engine?

Mine has been fine.

Currently sat on 23k with no signs of any issues.

Coolant is the correct level and colour, and oil is the correct level, and not fully black yet.

Granted it is low mileage, but if EVERY 2.2 has this issue, then it could happen at anytime.

Personally I think its an individual issue on a random number of cars, not an inevitable problem for ALL cars.

• Like 1

Absolutely :thumbsup:

• Like 1

EVERY engine?

Mine has been fine.

Currently sat on 23k with no signs of any issues.

Coolant is the correct level and colour, and oil is the correct level, and not fully black yet.

Granted it is low mileage, but if EVERY 2.2 has this issue, then it could happen at anytime.

Personally I think its an individual issue on a random number of cars, not an inevitable problem for ALL cars.

Maybe your 2.2 is less strained as its in Aruris form? In Rav form the engine has to lug a huge lump around? Plus its 4x4 or is this semi permanant now? More strain on the engine maybe?

My response was about the comment that all 2.2 engines have this problem.

There was no mention about it being exclusive to the Rav 2.2 and there are people out there who tow with their cars, so pull even more weight around with the same torque available.

not every one will suffer but their is lots and lots out their that will need a rebuild the lowest milage one i rebuilt was 12k and the highest 109k ive rebuilt more than i care to remember...dont know what the issue is though toyota rebuild this free of charge with no arguments...

all cars with the 2.2's are at risk inc the lexus is220

My response was about the comment that all 2.2 engines have this problem.

There was no mention about it being exclusive to the Rav 2.2 and there are people out there who tow with their cars, so pull even more weight around with the same torque available.

Lets hope your still ok at 50k miles then :thumbsup:

So to clarify

1. EGR`s are getting blocked up and eventually causing poor engine running.

2. Some engines are comsuming excessive ammounts of oil

3. Some engine are consuming no oil at all, but there EGR`s are getting blocked and eventually causing poor engine running.

4. Some engines headgaskets are failing. Why? because of build up of carbon on pistons, caused by????????? crap fuel? crap oil?

I still would not trust 5w/30 oil, I would still not be happy without a 40 weight oil in my engine what ever the manufactures say. Maybe its cheaper for them to replace engines in there range then to get hit by huge fines for not meating there C.A.F.E. quota??????????? :o I would only use 5w30 if I lived in Siberia.

All my vehicles have a 5w/40 in them, and I have never had any problems apart from maybe losing 1 mile per tank full by not using engine wrecking oil. :yes:

And I agree with the oil viscosity chart in this PDF completly. :D

I must stop being so obsessed with 5w30 oils. :P

oil.pdf

not every one will suffer but their is lots and lots out their that will need a rebuild the lowest milage one i rebuilt was 12k and the highest 109k ive rebuilt more than i care to remember...dont know what the issue is though toyota rebuild this free of charge with no arguments...

all cars with the 2.2's are at risk inc the lexus is220

A huge company like Toyota, rebuilding countless engines and they dont know what`s causing it? Ballocks!!!!! They know exactly what is at fault, If I was head of Toyota I would make it my job to find out the cause.......

There hiding something :help:

the head gaskets are failing due to the black covering coming off them which causes gasket shuffel (tiny wee holes in the surface is letting pink coolant in which is causing the covering to come off..

what i ment by issue was the owners issue yes it shouldnt happen but when it does it gets fixed free..i know what causes the gasket problem

what i ment by issue was the owners issue yes it shouldnt happen but when it does it gets fixed free..i know what causes the gasket problem

you would have thought that toyota would have found this problem in the development of the engine.in road testing new engines are abused/misused as the worst driver would.they are run with the oil levels at min for thousands and thousands of miles,same with coolant.there run temps far higher than we get in europe.any weakness should show up.

but alas this does seem to work.so the final and ultimate test is sell it to someome.

its not as if they sorted the trouble,as some poor souls have had more than one rebuild.

to replace these engines with a new design block and head would be out of the question the cost to change every current engine would astronomical,so its not going to happen.thy will carry on doing the rebuilds for engines that are within the extended warranty limets.

So what causes the gasket problem then? Please tell :censor:

There's some scary stuff in this thread!

Is it safe to assume that by now Toyota have got the 2.2 sorted or will a 2011 model start needing work before it's out of warranty?

My last motah (a VW) burnt a bit of oil until some time between its 40 and 50,000 mile service, after that it burned nothing until I got rid at 110K, in fact nothing went worng in the 95K miles I owned it

From the oil.pdf it looks like the 5-30 is too light, where I live a hot summers day can be waaaaaay over the 38C quoted so what's the solution - 10-40 fully synth? Any tips appreciated..

Lee

i told you in the post above the one you quoted.......... the covering on the gasket is coming off which in return causes gasket shuffle

i told you in the post above the one you quoted.......... the covering on the gasket is coming off which in return causes gasket shuffle

O right sorry must have missed that one :rolleyes: So its the actual gasket failing due to crappy made gaskets or is something else causing the gasket covering to come off?

I remember somthing similar maybe on Vw`s that buy putting the wrong coolant in the radiator can actually start to destroy the head gasket.

So this is another problem with these engines along with the piston ring faults?

O right sorry must have missed that one :rolleyes: So its the actual gasket failing due to crappy made gaskets or is something else causing the gasket covering to come off?

I remember somthing similar maybe on Vw`s that buy putting the wrong coolant in the radiator can actually start to destroy the head gasket.

So this is another problem with these engines along with the piston ring faults?

I believe it was a similar coolant/gasket conflict issue with the 2.2. Was sorted by a production change at some stage. Anchorman will have the details..............

i told Anchorman about this well before the first person posted about this...and has it been sorted yet??ive seen no change

i told Anchorman about this well before the first person posted about this...and has it been sorted yet??ive seen no change

You did indeed but I respected your wish to keep it confidential :thumbsup:

There's some scary stuff in this thread!

Is it safe to assume that by now Toyota have got the 2.2 sorted or will a 2011 model start needing work before it's out of warranty?

My last motah (a VW) burnt a bit of oil until some time between its 40 and 50,000 mile service, after that it burned nothing until I got rid at 110K, in fact nothing went worng in the 95K miles I owned it

From the oil.pdf it looks like the 5-30 is too light, where I live a hot summers day can be waaaaaay over the 38C quoted so what's the solution - 10-40 fully synth? Any tips appreciated..

Lee

Panic stations again. Will you lot drop this obsession with 5W/30 oil.

That chart just means that from 8 deg C and lower you are strongly advised to use 5W/30 but if you look at the next one up with a upper viscosity of 30 it is OK for temps above 38C. Where are you going, the Sun?!!!

The engines from 2009 are not affected by these problems. They are completely different in many respects.

• Like 1