Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold Engine - Rpm Automatically Increases When Idling.

BernieMc

Just joined and need help please!

For the past 2 weeks my 2005 Avensis Verso 2.0 D4D has started to rev automatically when idling. The RPM increases from 600 to 1400 within 2 seconds of starting in the morning. This continues when I stop at traffic lights, junctions etc until engine is warm. The RPM is normal when the car is being driven. There are no warning lights when this happens and heater/air con have been turned off prior to starting. I did not have this problem in winter.

For the past 2 weeks my 2005 Avensis Verso 2.0 D4D has started to rev automatically when idling. The RPM increases from 600 to 1400 within 2 seconds of starting in the morning. This continues when I stop at traffic lights, junctions etc until engine is warm. The RPM is normal when the car is being driven. There are no warning lights when this happens and heater/air con have been turned off prior to starting. I did not have this problem in winter.

It is normal for the engine to rev like this on start up. Its the ecu telling it to do so to obtain the correct cabin temp. It should do this in the winter to. Have you cleaned the MAF at all?

It is normal for the engine to rev like this on start up. Its the ecu telling it to do so to obtain the correct cabin temp. It should do this in the winter to. Have you cleaned the MAF at all?

Thanks for your reply. I called with my local mechanic last week and he suggested that it may be a sensor. He said it would do no harm and that I should leave it for now. I prefer to get things sorted when they go wrong so may take car to another garage to clean MAF (had to google to find what this meant!). I have to say that I'm a 50+ female who knows how to check oil, water etc and look out for warning lights but not much more and have a husband that knows less!!!! I have the car for 2 years and this has never happened before, not even in winter.

Its really easy to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor. It really is only 2 screws and some electrical contact cleaner spray. Or you can buy something off eBay called CRC which is great stuff. The MAF is situated by the Air filter box and the pipe that runs from it. It really is a 1 min job :toast:

Its really easy to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor. It really is only 2 screws and some electrical contact cleaner spray. Or you can buy something off Ebay called CRC which is great stuff. The MAF is situated by the Air filter box and the pipe that runs from it. It really is a 1 min job :toast:

Thanks again for your help. I will get MAF cleaned tomorrow and hopefully this will do the trick. I will post reply with result.

I'm glad that I could help. Yer please lets us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Update for Mistermena - Only got MAF cleaned yesterday but unfortunately the revving problem was still there when I started cold engine this morning. Mechanic suggested diagnostic test to identify cause so I'll have get this arranged.

Update for Mistermena - Only got MAF cleaned yesterday but unfortunately the revving problem was still there when I started cold engine this morning. Mechanic suggested diagnostic test to identify cause so I'll have get this arranged.

Many thanks for the update on the MAF. Have you got access to a code reader? Maybe a member on here who is in your area could help out. You can buy one off eBay for less than £15 and it will display any fault codes thats stored on your ECU. But failing that it does look like a trip to get the diagonostic reading done by your mechanic.

Hope all goes well and lets us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the update on the MAF. Have you got access to a code reader? Maybe a member on here who is in your area could help out. You can buy one off eBay for less than £15 and it will display any fault codes thats stored on your ECU. But failing that it does look like a trip to get the diagonostic reading done by your mechanic.

Hope all goes well and lets us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

I don't know anyone with a code reader so will stick with mechanic. Will post update when sorted, Thanks again.

i have a 2.2 tr estate and when the cabin heater is set to lo the revs stay normal but if i try to set the temp higher before the engine gets to temp the revs lift to about 1200 turn the temp down again and the revs drop i think this is to get the temp up quicker

steve

i have a 2.2 tr estate and when the cabin heater is set to lo the revs stay normal but if i try to set the temp higher before the engine gets to temp the revs lift to about 1200 turn the temp down again and the revs drop i think this is to get the temp up quicker

steve

Reply to Ministeve - The problem happens with the heater turned off. Any other suggestions?

steve

Reply to Ministeve - The problem happens with the heater turned off. Any other suggestions?

There might be a thermostat sensor that is not telling the computer the right temp and thus the engine is revving to reach temp.

Just a thought.

There was a time when engines were engines and not computers..everything is digital nowadays and expensive!!LOL

Sandman

eek.gif

Isn't this perfectly normal??

If it stops doing it once your engine is warm then you don't have a problem!!

My car revs higher until the engine is warm then drops back to normal.

Nearly every car out there does this!

You really don't need to pay for an engine diagnostic test unless the revs keep going up when it's warm!!!

• Like 1

I have to agree with the last post. Higher revs when the engine is cold is entirely normal.

My 2.0D4D 57 plate avensis does exactly the same each morning when it's been cold overnight.

I know that the revs are normally higher until the engine warms up but my concern is that the 800 rpm increase is 3-4 seconds after starting and that it has only been like this for the past few weeks. I have been driving the car for almost 2 years.

I know that the revs are normally higher until the engine warms up but my concern is that the 800 rpm increase is 3-4 seconds after starting and that it has only been like this for the past few weeks. I have been driving the car for almost 2 years.

does your car have climate control,if so do you leave it on permantly (as i do).

i may be way off the mark,but the revs will increase to compenate for air con loading,untill requred temp is reached.dont claim to know much about this subject,but it is just a thought.

does your car have climate control,if so do you leave it on permantly (as i do).

i may be way off the mark,but the revs will increase to compenate for air con loading,untill requred temp is reached.dont claim to know much about this subject,but it is just a thought.

My car doesn't have any climate control switches so that's not an option. As for any suggestions that I don't have a problem I wish to add that the revs jumped from 600 to 1400 when idling after a 20 mile drive today when the engine was warm. I had driven in very wet and windy conditions so this must have triggered some sensor or other. Guess another trip to the garage is required!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links