Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Yaris Free Tronic

iceman20110

Hi,

I have a Toyota Yaris 1999 V Reg - Free Tronic model - manual gears , automatic clutch ( cluthless ), the car was running fine but the other day it has developed a problem a red flashing light has appeared on the dashboard it looks silimar to this sign )! and it will not allow me now to select any gears.

I can select gears when the engine is switched off but it will not allow me to start the car in gear.

Any ideas or solutions to this problem ?

Thanks

There has been lots of viewers to this page but no answers ? I would suggest if you have a silmar problem with your Toyota Yaris please post problems and possible solutions if known? Lets help each other out,

Below is a message and advice received by one of the club owners -

According to my Yaris owners manual (I have the earliest model Yaris when Freetronic was being made) the light you mantion is indeed the freetronic warning light, which can come on with a bleeper when you do something that the car doesnt like, such as try to change up too early or down too early, but the light will flash in these cases.

If it comes on continuously with no bleeper sound, then this indicates a fault on the Freetronic unit. Could be something simple like a low fluid level - they are prone to leaking fluid so I have read.

The Freetronic wasnt very reliable and not that popular, and was ditched for the MMT only a couple of years later.

I'd get a professional's opinion, but be prepared to have to Shell out big money, as the Freetronic transmission, if the fault is serious, will cost a fortune to replace - maybe even more than the car is worth.

Im a mechanic at toyota, had a look on the computer about this for you and there is a moddified gear stick for it, it has different sensors inside it and will fix the problem, the other known problem with them is the actuator bursts that works the clutch but without looking at it i dont know, if youve got a code reader then have a look what code it is and i might be able to tell you what it its, hope this helps.

I dnt have a code reader ? what do you mean a moddified gear stick ? If i disconnet the Battery for 10 minutes and recontect the car runs fine and then locks up after about another 5 / 10 minutes ? it will not allow you to go into an gears as soon as the light starts flashing on the dashboard, is there any way of stopping this feature ? Thanks

Hi all,

If you have any ideas how to fix this problem can you please reply to my message, Thanks

This is usually one for a Toyota Dealer to diagnose!

you have received a few useful replies on here, but sadly, the repair costs could be high if replacement parts are required

It could be that the software on the control module just needs reprogramming, but that is a job for the Toyota dealer

hope that you manage to get it sorted out soon