Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001 Corolla Sr Vvti

Tibs

A bit of a long-ish post this one, so bare with me....a pre-emptive thank you now though if you are going to read through the lot :thumbsup:

For some reason or other, my car has become a magnet for cretins.

They have seen fit to dent, scratch and generally mess up the bodywork of my car in various ways and at various times, that my efforts to keep it as nice as I can have turned into a losing battle. :crybaby:

That, and the fact that the dreaded tin worm has gotten a bit of a hold on one of the doors, providing some lovely bubbling, make me sit in dispair some days.

So. Aside from enjoying the odd back road run out, the enjoyment of owning my SR has subsided a little. Not good.

I will get round to sorting the bodywork, but my finances are limited at the present time, so it will have to wait.

How can I rekindle some of my old fun, aside from grabbing said cretins and introducing them to the backside of my favourite shovel?

An idea has presented itself of late, and I'm going to try my damndest to see it come to life as it were. I have always wanted to take part in motorsport,anything would do,and have had a few toes in the water but only briefly as finances would not allow any competetive participation, so it was more trackday and helping out duties that had to suffice.

Been following the Toyota Sprint Series since it started, and wanted to give it a go, but never had the chance. But now it appears that I might be able to give it a bit of a go as a novice, if only for one round, but thats got to be better than nothing right?

I am still waiting to hear from one of the organisers after a few chats regarding taking part,(beginning to think that I may have been forgotten about....), but I am aiming to take part in the old SR in the local round later this year.

Been reading through the rules and regs, and reckon that my car is eligable as it currently stands for one of the classes, so I'm halfway there! (I hope...). Can't see me winning anything, but thats not what I'm aiming for, I just want to get back to enjoying my car for what it is.

Have to keep in mind that this is my everyday car, go to work in it, do the shopping in it, ferry family around in it and even use it to go on holiday! So can't have it as a stripped out track weapon.

With any luck, this idea will pan out, and I can maybe post my progress on here (if anyone is interested..).

Thanks for reading, if you still are, would welcome any thoughts or ideas on my quest for 'fun rekindlement'. Cheers all smile.gif

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tibs

• Steven252

• dangermooser

• Littlenicky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If its what you want to do then go for it, don't know much about the series myself, the only thing I would be worried about is if you stuffed it then have no daily driver

If its what you want to do then go for it, don't know much about the series myself, the only thing I would be worried about is if you stuffed it then have no daily driver

That has been in my mind, but as the Series is Sprints, rather than track racing, that will be less likely. Not totally unlikely I know, but if I go through life worrying about everything, I'll never do it!

If the worst happens, I'll still manage work and back, which is the most important thing, to pay the bills and keep the roof over my head I guess.

Sprints aren't as bad then buddy, my thoughts are the same but I always weigh up the risk versus gain (wether that be measured as fun, financial etc) I have been tempted to take my rolla onto a track day but I know I would be in a total world of hurt if the worse happened. I do have another car however that I could afford to wreck and as long as I didn't wreck myself in the process wouldn't have a major impact on my day to day life

go for it mate. You dont have to go balls out to enjoy your car. Like you said your not in it to win just want some fun. Dont think there is any better way to enjoy your car than turn up on a weekend morning with lots of like minded people and some really nice cars and try and get round as quickly and as safely as possible

Just a thought but if your not bothered about winning then would it not make more sense to stick to track days. I mean if you want to be competitive then great go for it, you only live once but I would have thought there would be a lot of pressure to perform with it being a competitive series.

My only other thoughts are regarding wear and tear. Regular track time would prove quite costly on a daily driver I would think. Cluthches, gearboxes, brakes, tires, etc.

My only other thoughts are regarding wear and tear. Regular track time would prove quite costly on a daily driver I would think. Cluthches, gearboxes, brakes, tires, etc.

That was my initial thought

Apart fromm some of the disadvanteges already mentioned above,I would say go for it and enjoy yourself.Also please keep us all posted on your experiences,etc if you do go ahead with your plan :thumbsup:

Just a thought but if your not bothered about winning then would it not make more sense to stick to track days. I mean if you want to be competitive then great go for it, you only live once but I would have thought there would be a lot of pressure to perform with it being a competitive series.

It is just the one round of a year long series, so the pressure wont be on me as such, but you do have a point.

I'll have probably no more than 10 runs, which is considerably less time out on track than my last trackday, so I see wear and tear being less.

Regular track time would prove quite costly, which is part of the financial aspect that has kept me out of it so far, and is seeing me only doing the one round this time around. If, and it is a big if, I am in a position some time in the future to take part more, then it wouldnt be in my daily as it were.

Right.

Here is one for anyone with the knowledge....

Brake pedal feel, and how to improve it. Any ideas on this?

Pads and discs have wear, but plenty of life in them. Brake fluid changed last year, pedal has felt the same since then.

Quite a lot of travel before they bite. They work, and work well, but plenty of travel on the pedal and the 'feel' isnt quite right.

Upgrade to DOT 5.1 and braided hoses??

upgrade brake pads?? Is there a better pad than greenstuff?

Upgrade to DOT 5.1 and braided hoses??

upgrade brake pads?? Is there a better pad than greenstuff?

Running DOT 5.1 already. Considering braided lines, will look into them further.

Could change pads, but what is fitted, bites and stops the car really well, just the pedal travel thats an issue, not sure that changing pads will alter that?

After the lines & fluid, as long as the calipers are ok i.e. The sliders or pistons aren't sticking then the only real way to improve further is to look at changing the servo and mater cylinder for something better. Something like a Supra would be the obvious choice to look at!

Thanks for the ideas people, will investigate further :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Up to date, erm, update!

Still know word from the organiser chap, pretty sure I have been forgotten about despite chasing him up. Not to worry, will sort it off my own back from scratch.

Thought I would go about getting a quote for doing some of the bodywork as I was out and about this morning. Called into a local place that I know of, seen their work before (a while ago admittedly) and it seemed good.

Pulled up outside and spoke to one of the guys, told him the sort of thing I was looking for. He said I was "mad for wanting to spend a chunk of money on that" and "are you sure?".

Thanks for that! It may not be a 20 or 30 grand car, but its mine, and more to the point, its paid for!

Really knocked my end in today, not happy at all to be honest. Really disheartened with the whole car thing, and not in the mood for people like that. Whatever happened to the guys I knew a few years ago? The guys who put pride in their work? The guys who were happy to work on older, more interesting cars? Rather than just !Removed! insurance and touch up work?

Hmm, surprised PaulT or MsB haven't piped in yet; They're unofficially the TOC representatives in the TSS :lol:

Paul has an Aygo but recently upgraded to a Supra... wonder how he's getting on with that :)

Perhaps the Corolla forum is bottom of the list as far as priorities go?

I'll be honest, I don't know either of them, so if anyone does and can put in a word for me....?

Pulled up outside and spoke to one of the guys, told him the sort of thing I was looking for. He said I was "mad for wanting to spend a chunk of money on that" and "are you sure?".

Thanks for that! It may not be a 20 or 30 grand car, but its mine, and more to the point, its paid for!

Really knocked my end in today, not happy at all to be honest. Really disheartened with the whole car thing, and not in the mood for people like that. Whatever happened to the guys I knew a few years ago? The guys who put pride in their work? The guys who were happy to work on older, more interesting cars? Rather than just !Removed! insurance and touch up work?

Don't let the Bar stewards get you down, its your car and your money don't let some noob put you off just find somewhere else to get the work done

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit busy and hectic the last few weeks, but things seem to be levelling out a bit now, so can press on with bodywork enquiries probably next week some time all being well.

Noticed a while back that my alt.drive belt was looking slightly less than new, so have been meaning to get a new one. Dealer friend could only get down to around £30 for the belt, so I did some shopping around for an aftermarket one. Today I picked up a Continental one from Euro Car Parts locally for £18 plus the dreaded, so I'm quite happy with that.

Will be fitting it in a week or so whilst visiting a friend and working on their Corolla, two birds with one stone etc.... (Better !Removed! fit...!).

Swapped a few messages with regards the Toyota Sprint Series, just hoping to hear something positive back soon, to start making plans for the event later in the year.

Haven't posted any pics for an age, so even though I didn't have any chance to clean the old girl at all, I took a few this week, thought I'd post a couple as she is.

post-9063-0-56977200-1308144491_thumb.jp

post-9063-0-10758300-1308144579_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update.

Drive Belt was a doddle to fit, got both cars done in a few minutes, well pleased.

Next job was to look at the tailgate lock. Been unable to open the boot from outside the car for a while now, key doesn't go all the way in, nor does it turn. Removed lock barrel, again really easy to do. It is all 'furred up'. Horrible white looking stuff. Soaked it in WD40 and scrubbed it up, but still no joy :angry:

Key goes all the way in now, but still doesn't turn. Thinking I need to soak it longer and clean up more, but could be wrong. Anyone tackled this?

In other news, been getting a resonating noise through the cabin, thought it was from nsr of the car. Had it looked at tonight, and all 4 tyres are misshapen and are well out of kilter, this is the cause of the noise. Nightmare. All 4 tyres to go like this, not good. Seems that the carcass of the rubber has been suffering under load, cornering/speed/heat/braking force etc. This and the potholes that we have all been blighted with. *****. Toyo T1R's on the front, and Yoko somethingorothers on the rear.

Any other tyres thought to be good on these cars? Always ran T1R's and been happy with them, think I should look higher up the market range now......

Front brakes are about shot too. Pleased with the life of them though, around 20000 miles done on them, thats good for me and my driving really.

Stay with EBC? Or try the MTEC/Ferodo combo? Thoughts please my good people :help:

Not meaning to agree with you, but I am finding this. This forum has been great in pointing me in the direction of companys and websites etc for parts for my E11 SR, but despite having £2k sat in the bank waiting to spend on it. Some 4 + months later I'm still getting emails back saying "Oh sorry we can't get these bits anymore" or just no emails or returned phoned calls. I also took my car to a bodyshop and asked about them respraying the front bumper as it's turning pink. One body shop wanted £300 for paint etc, and £35 an hour :censor: the other the guy said "Well I could do it, but is it worth throwing money on an old car like this"...

I think at the end of this month I'm just going to buy another car and sell the SR.. :huh:

Don't sell it, you will regret it!!!!!!

I find that with bits a lot of the time, but stick with it, as I'd rather drive something left-of-centre whilst others plump for default cars that are ten a penny.

Besides, yours (a bit more than mine) has real pedigree from WRC development. Not too many cars pootling around currently boast such 'cred' for the want of a better phrase.

Anyway, thanks for the comments on my post. Any thoughts from anyone on my current 'issues'?

Brakes wise I can say that the mtec's are good, I have them fitted all round on mine and I haven't had any problems

Brakes wise I can say that the mtec's are good, I have them fitted all round on mine and I haven't had any problems

Thanks DM. What pads did you match them with? Where did you source them from? Seem cheaper than my current EBCs?

I got them of the bay with mintex pads, the ferodo ones are supposed to be better but the combination of new pads and discs all round and a brake fluid change seem to have done the job, will probably go for ferodo when the pads need changing