• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • First Name:Matthew
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Corolla SR VVTi
  • Year: 2001

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks Steven!

I wondered whether you had any experience of similar, and up you pop! hehe! Cheers.

I have the carpet drying out of the car and will get out tomorrow to have a gander into sorting it out,

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#122 Steven252

Steven252

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • First Name:Steven
  • Toyota Model: 2000 'rolla sr vvti
  • Year: 2000
Contributor

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Aha, i noticed mine at the very early stages so the carpet didnt get wet. i did however replace the driverside rear lamp thinking it was that as the fog part was filling with water. Only to find out the new one did it a couple of days later :rolleyes:

Boot seal would be my first point of inspection - mine had rubbed a little hole through it from use of the boot being opened/closed :)

#123 Littlenicky

Littlenicky

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • First Name:Anthony
  • Toyota Model: Corolla SR TTE LTD
  • Year: 1998

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

Mine was full of oil , rainwater very toxic but very lubricating in skegness.

#124 Tibs

Tibs

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Now then all!

A few bits from the last couple of weeks or so. Weather round these parts has been dire to be fair, so not a lot done. That, and a bit of work on the house taking up the weekends.

But, I had a look at the water ingress into the boot area. Still yet to be sure of how it is coming through. Boot seal seems fine, bar one small hole lower down from water level (so have discounted that). Rear lamp seems to be sealed ok too.
It doesn't seem to leak everytime it rains either, or when being washed, which is odd. I'll keep at it for the time being until it is sorted.

Few more small parcels arrived since last update. Nothing major. Sourced rear anti-roll bar drop links, and along with them, a pair of SuperPro poly bushes for the anti-roll bar itself. Weather was pretty good last night after work, so set about replacing them at home.
Jacked up, wheels off, all ready to go. Only to find that the links on the car require holding in place with a 4.5mm allen key whilst being undone. I own an allen key of every single size, apart from a 4.5mm. *****, and double *****! Thought I had that bit covered.
So that's been put off for the time being. Being under the car gave me a better chance to look at the old links before they do come off, and the 'play' in them is very noticable and accounts for the 'knocking' that I've been getting for some time. Weather is forecast for rain all week now, so will get back under when I get a break.
Used last night in a constructive manner though, went online and sourced a 4.5mm allen key (in a T-Bar set which will be a nice addition to the tool set), a new front indicator to match the drivers side replaced a little while ago (passenger side seal has gone and getting condensation inside) and some items for the 'Spill-kit' I'll need for taking part in this years Toyota Sprint Series again.

So, fingers crossed for a break in the weather next weekend, and a few little plans working out so that i can get a few of these jobs ticked off the list.

#125 Steven252

Steven252

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
Contributor

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Yes i thought i had cured mine but its back again :/ is your drivers tail lamp getting wet too? Mine builds up in the fog light part.

I changed the antiroll bar bushes without and allen key. Just unbolted it and reattached it. If you leave the car on the ground or on a set of drive on ramps you wont need to faff about holding it in place ;)

You doing many sprints this year?

#126 Tibs

Tibs

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

All the water comes in on the rear drivers side, although I have not noticed a build up within the drivers side rear lamp itself.

The allen key is needed for the anti-roll bar drop links, the nut just spins around without the threaded part being held steady by an allen key, whether on the ground or jacked up. the bushes themselve should be pretty straightforward (thats the job fully cursed now!).

Looking at doing 2 Sprints this year. Barkston Heath in August, and then Croft again in September.

#127 Tibs

Tibs

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Watergate! The continuing saga.......

Boot carpet is still out of the car as water ingress still happening and another small pool laying nicely in the OSR well, so with a break in the clouds/rain this afternoon, climbed into the boot to have another crack at sorting this.

Spare wheel and the rest of the gubbins out and me seated semi-comfortable.....

Rear lamp out and seal checked again, all fine, dry and seated correctly. No signs of any 'runs' down from the lamp, so can't see that as being the cause.

Unclip and unscrew the OSR inner 1/4 trim panel, and pull away so I can see a bit better. Soundproofing below rear lamp/level with boot floor soaked again (horizontal). None of the inner metalwork is wet or again shows any signs of 'runs'.
Have notice that there is one small vertical part of the soundproofing that is wet, and the wetness runs down to the soaked section. So, getting closer to the source?

Posted Image

Shown here is the vertical wet part, to the right of the square cutout at the bottom of the soundproofing. Looking at it further, this wet section rests against a long thin screw that seems to be part of the rear bumper fixings. This fixing is screwed solid against the inner metal bulkhead and again is bone dry, so I don't think that water is coming through this bolt/fixing.

My thoughts now are that it is coming in above the fixing and running down onto it, and then along it onto the soundproofing. However, there are no signs of any ingress above this point, again, the rear lamp is sealing fine and the tailgate aperture seal is tight.

Bloody nightmare.

Any thoughts guys? I'll get back out again and try poking my head around a bit more when weather is better and my back stops killing me.

#128 Steven252

Steven252

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts
Contributor

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

This is driving me mad too! Mine is in exactly the same place but the drivers side tail lamp is filling too :/ no signs of where its coming from and i even have the whole rear interiour out atm to find it!

One of my friends is coming up later to soak the car with the hose while im in it to see if i can see it dripping from anywhere :rolleyes:

Nightmare!!

#129 Steve Badger Smith

Steve Badger Smith

Advanced Club Member

• Member via FB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • Toyota Model: E11 Corolla GS 1.6
  • Year: 1998

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Its a real nightmare finding leaks in cars, i've had to do it a few times. I hope you find it before it drives you mad.

#130 Tibs

Tibs

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

Right.

Another downpour earlier so I took the chance to peer back inside, and saw the damn stuff dripping in!

Aha! Grabbed the camera and have traced the darn stuff to the rear lamp.The rear lamp that is sealed perfectly well and previously showed no sign of being the source! Bloody thing!

Posted Image

Circled is the area where the water is coming into the shell and making its way down. It seeps in there, runs down about an inch or so, and onto the thin black cable that is behind the ribbed conduit in the picture.

Posted Image

Then it runs down the black cable for another inch or two before gravity drops it down into the side of the boot.

So, one of tomorrows jobs (weather permitting) is to whip the lamp back off and to try and work out how this is happening seeing as it looked ok earlier.

Will keep you posted!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users