Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mounting A Tom Tom

oldie68

Hi all

I've had my 7 month old Yaris 1.33 TR for less than a week now, so I'm just getting used to it - mainly the clutch and gearbox. I'm also curious about why, when the petrol gauge dropped down to 2 bars, the range left showed only 48 miles. However, I've done some searches and it looks as though it doesn't adjust the range figure when the mpg improves - it seems you have to zeroise Trip A!

My main concern just now is trying to find a place for my Tom Tom satnav. The ideal place would be directly in front of the steering wheel, but there's no flat surface. It fits on the window using the mount which came with it, but when I tried to remove it the mount fell to bits.

Where have other (non Spirit) owners put them?

Ours have them built in, but you can get air vent clips to mount them on the centre vent or "cup holder" mounts that would sit in the pull out cup holder on the drivers side of the dash.

On our old Yaris, I used a flexible "gooseneck" mount that attached to the windscreen with a sucker and contained a magnet at the other end. It came with a small metal disc that you stuck to the back of the satnav that caused it to stick to the mount.

tom tom do there own vent mounting clips.my auris does not have a level in front of steering wheel,but there is just to the right of dash so use a sticky mounting pad.

i cover this pad with a non slip mat when not in use so it cant be seen and give certain people ideas about looking for tom tom.

I use this one. It can be used with the bean bag in front of the steering wheel or as a windscreen mount. Easy to put on an remove and it's quite sturdy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARKON-MINI-CAR-BEANBAG-DASH-MOUNT-TOMTOM-GO-520-720-920-/170473992674?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item27b10ab1e2

Thanks for the prompt replies. The cup holder one sounds interesting, apart from the cable having to go across the top then down. I also like the idea of a non-slip mat on the dashboard to hide any fittings.

The bean bag won't work, I don't have the right model Tom Tom - I've got the LIVE IQ Routes (with a broken mount). I've looked at reviews of the bean bag type on Amazon, and they generally don't get good reviews.

The link I gave you was for the one I got (Arkon), which as I said works well. I had a cheap bean bag one before this that was crap. - other TomTom models are supported, just contact the seller.

By the way, the one I pointed out to you gets a good review on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...04699590&sr=8-2

However if it's not for you, then it's not for you :thumbsup:

The link I gave you was for the one I got (Arkon), which as I said works well. I had a cheap bean bag one before this that was crap. - other TomTom models are supported, just contact the seller.

I use a bean mount and find it great and used it on many different vehicles and has always been fine

Thanks hartside (and stevecrvn); I hadn't actually seen that one. I think some of the reviewers have my TomTom (XL Live IQ Routes, 4.3 inch screen), and have no problem using it without the hook. Just a few questions, if you don't mind :

1. Do you have a Mk1 or Mk2 Yaris

2. If the Mk2, where do you put the Arkon?

3. No problem getting the charger lead out?

4. Some reviewers use a non-slip mat; do you think this is necessary?

5. Do you live near the hartside pass? I used to love that road, going from haydon bridge to the M6 south.

Thanks hartside (and stevecrvn); I hadn't actually seen that one. I think some of the reviewers have my TomTom (XL Live IQ Routes, 4.3 inch screen), and have no problem using it without the hook. Just a few questions, if you don't mind :

1. Do you have a Mk1 or Mk2 Yaris

2. If the Mk2, where do you put the Arkon?

3. No problem getting the charger lead out?

4. Some reviewers use a non-slip mat; do you think this is necessary?

5. Do you live near the hartside pass? I used to love that road, going from haydon bridge to the M6 south.

I have a MK 1 but it has been used in Kia Ceed, Ford Focus ,Sprinter Vans all with no Problem , I do not use a non slip mat and it has never moved even up and down the valley road in wales

I have a MK 1 but it has been used in Kia Ceed, Ford Focus ,Sprinter Vans all with no Problem , I do not use a non slip mat and it has never moved even up and down the valley road in wales

Thanks Steve. I'll definitely be getting one, after reading the reviews. However, there seems to also be a slightly smaller version, the SM012:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BuyBits-Genuine-WEIGHTED-DASHBOARD-FRICTION/dp/B0034BM4DI/ref=pd_cp_computers_2

(I hope that's how you do a url link).

Having managed to break the TT easyport mount, I may also need to get the much better Arkon version.

1. Do you have a Mk1 or Mk2 Yaris: We have the mk2

2. If the Mk2, where do you put the Arkon? We put it directly behind the steering wheel. on the flat part

3. No problem getting the charger lead out? None at all

4. Some reviewers use a non-slip mat; do you think this is necessary? The bottom of the bean bag mount has a non slip surface. An additional non slip mat would not be necessary

5. Do you live near the hartside pass? I used to love that road, going from haydon bridge to the M6 south. I love that road also, but live more over Newcastle upon Tyne way

Good luck with the TomTom! :thumbsup:

1. Do you have a Mk1 or Mk2 Yaris: We have the mk2

2. If the Mk2, where do you put the Arkon? We put it directly behind the steering wheel. on the flat part

3. No problem getting the charger lead out? None at all

4. Some reviewers use a non-slip mat; do you think this is necessary? The bottom of the bean bag mount has a non slip surface. An additional non slip mat would not be necessary

5. Do you live near the hartside pass? I used to love that road, going from haydon bridge to the M6 south. I love that road also, but live more over Newcastle upon Tyne way

Good luck with the TomTom! :thumbsup:

Hi hartside

I've just ordered one from Amazon, I'll let you know how it goes when it arrives.

I used to live in Ryton, then Blaydon, many years ago. fantastic for access to the countryside. Now I'm in SW London/Surrey, and empty roads are virtually unknown.

HI Oldie68, I know them both well there not that far away from where we live. The roads have become much busier than they used to be round here, but saying that, nowhere near the traffic you experience in your area.

Hope you like your purchase, definitely let me know what you think

the non slip mat (one drivers side and one passenger side is only there to hide mounting pad for tom tom on dash

only resoon its non slip is to stop it sliding off, nothing to do with mounting sat nav.

do you all mean TOM TOM software ? I have ordered a car dvd from a Chinese supplier few days ago , and it works great , but it is a pity that TOM TOM map can not be used with windows CE system , I have heard from the supplier that TOM TOM map can only be used with Windows mobile system, only iGo8 map has the best compatibility with Windows CE system , and till now , it seems true of this , I think maybe you are interested in this .

maybe you can write mail to her, zhangxialiu1989@hotmaill.com , this is also her MSN

Hartside,

I know, we still get up there half a dozen times a year, though these days I tend to go to Haymarket/Eldon Square bus stations and use my bus pass to look at the countryside.

Acetip,

I can see the point of hiding the bump, but doesn't it make a suspicious looking lump under the mat?

Michelle.isun

Thanks for your contribution, but I'm actually asking about the physical mounting of the tom tom unit, not the software.

Ohh, I am sorry , I just knew TOM TOM map , lol ...

that is so funny .

Michelle

It arrrived at lunchtime, which is good considering I only ordered it Sunday afternoon. I think they've sent the slightly smaller version, the SM012, rather than the CM012, but that's not a problem. I've tried it on the dashboard, right in front of me, slightly back from where the top glove box opens to, and I can see it fine. The pad's not flat to the surface, but it feels firm.

I found that if I take out the ashtray from the place by the gear lever, and the tray it sits in, the mount can be squeezed slightly to fit in the space that's left. It'll also fit in the largest glove box, so no problems there. The Tom Tom mount, after polishing both 'bases' holds securely - which is more than I can say for the round bit supposed to hold the TT itself. Anyway, next step will be a bit driving tomorrow; see how it goes.

I'm glad I decided not to fit the hook to the dashboard - you have to stick it, then let it set for 24 hours at room temperature!

No need to apologise, Michelle, simple mistake.

Hi Oldie68, I'm sure it's the SM012 that I have as well. I had to ditch the useless TomTom mount that I had for my TomTom 720 as it kept falling off the windscreen. I was lucky that Arkon also did a mount for my TomTom that holds it very securely to the bean bag, or to the windscreen if I have a hire car. I didn't bother with the hook either!

Hi Hartside

Things have been cropping up all week, so it was only today that I managed to get out for a drive. I did about 60 miles of dual carriageway, bumpy A road (the A31 hogs back if you know it), then a smooth bendy side road back onto the dual carriageway. The mount stayed secure, as did my Tom Tom, even when I cancelled the route to the half way and reset it for the route home. The one problem I did find was that, even though it wasn't sunny, I had a lot of daylight on the screen, making it hard to read.

Hi Oldie68

I found that also, but my mount allows me to angle it ever so slightly downward, taking the glare from the screen. I take it you are at the maximum angle downward with the std TomTom mount? Are you able to make a little cowl over the top of the TomTom with some folded over insulating tape or the like, or would that make it a bit naff looking?

Hi hartside

I didn't try angling it forward - I only found out about the 'fading' once I was moving. Angling the TT is something that needs to be done before I put it on the dashboard; the slightest touch at the back of the TT seems to push the TT out of the 'easyport' mounting ring, if you know what I mean.

Next time I go out I'll try angling it slightly forward before I set off.