Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Residue Under Bonnet

Chris81

Can anyone identify this cream coloured residue under the bonnet of my friends 2003 Yaris? Standing facing the open bonnet, it's on the left hand side of the bonnet soundproofing(see attached pic) and it's also present at other places on this soundproofing.

post-33851-0-27824000-1304946184_thumb.j

Can anyone identify this cream coloured residue under the bonnet of my friends 2003 Yaris? Standing facing the open bonnet, it's on the left hand side of the bonnet soundproofing(see attached pic) and it's also present at other places on this soundproofing.

It looks like some sort of fungus to me! Does it smell?

Hmm, if it's only on the soundproofing then my first guess is it could be some sort of mold or fungus, possibly due to a leaky washer pipe?

What?

it's coolant where the rad cap has let out under pressure, normal occurance.

you can see the ring of the rad cap has left a gap.

It's like a powder and comes off like a thick dust when you rub it. Doesn't seem to smell.

That circle in the pic where there's no residue/mould is nothing to do with the radiator cap - it's the plasic 'popper' that secures the soundproofing in place. Whatever the 'stuff' is, it doesn't adhere to plastic.

I'd heard of coolant leaks but if that's what it was, I'd expect the residue to be the colour of the coolant, which in this car is blue, not a creamy light yellow.

Looks like dried out road salt to me..

I agree, = Sodium Chloride Crystals, = Vacuum off first if crystals are Dry, then Wash off with Cold Water and Stiff Brush, also remove residue from Alloy Engine Block Below with Brush and Cold Water.

I agree, = Sodium Chloride Crystals, = Vacuum off first if crystals are Dry, then Wash off with Cold Water and Stiff Brush, also remove residue from Alloy Engine Block Below with Cold Water.

If it was road salt,i would have thought there would be more on the nearside than the offside of the bonnet cos there is more puddles are for you to drive through.

just a thought.

I agree, = Sodium Chloride Crystals, = Vacuum off first if crystals are Dry, then Wash off with Cold Water and Stiff Brush, also remove residue from Alloy Engine Block Below with Cold Water.

If it was road salt,i would have thought there would be more on the nearside than the offside of the bonnet cos there is more puddles are for you to drive through.

just a thought.

Thought it was the nearside of the car? It looks like that to me...

just a thought.

Hi Mistermena,if thats the wiper arm in the bottom right,then i thought nearside.

but what does it matter.

The pic quite clearly shows it as the offside.

I can't think its road salt as it would be all over the place. If it was roadsalt, how would it be getting in?

At the same time, I can't think it's coolant as it's the wrong colour. Whatever it is, it keeps coming back no matter how much it is brushed off. This can't be the only Yaris with this phenomenon!

just a thought.

Hi Mistermena,if thats the wiper arm in the bottom right,then i thought nearside.

but what does it matter.

Your correct! My mistake.:thumbsup: