Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sudden Surge

newman

Hello everyone,

New owner of a toyota avensis tourer, and picked it for its good handling and the fact it had every option possible fitted to the car. Sorry to start with a question, but I love forums and learning from other peoples experiences.

One gripe I have had is when I am on the move, and brake to slow down, and then go back on the accelerator (very lightly), the car suddenly jerks forwards momenterally, and then I can progress smoothly. If I go back on the accelerator harder, the ***** is much more severe, and can be quite dangerous.

Now I have gone to the dealer as its under warranty, and they say if the car is in a certain rmp range, it will just do that. I have not experienced this in any other auto I have driven, but have learnt to delay contact with the accelerator so that the rmp drops lol. I don't like this, and sometimes it jerks regardless.

Is this normal?

Hi,

That's definitively not normal behaviour.

An Avensis should accelerate smoothly and respond to the pedal in a way its owner expects.

Mine does!

Could be a faulty accelerator pedal position sensor.

Try a different dealer for a second opinion.

Hi,

That's definitively not normal behaviour.

An Avensis should accelerate smoothly and respond to the pedal in a way its owner expects.

Mine does!

Could be a faulty accelerator pedal position sensor.

Try a different dealer for a second opinion.

Thanks for that. I think I may try and get the same dealer to let me drive one of their auto avensis's when I go in for service probably next month. I'm sure they will be ok with it, but if they don't have a demonstrator, will go and get a second opinion.

like nearly all main car dealers they know little or nothing about auto gearboxs.... Make sure they sort it dont let it drag on for long.........................................................

That's not only wrong but its dangerous. The car should respond as you expect. Keep at them until it is resolved - invite the service manager to come with you and experience it for himself. I bet the old 'they all do that' excuse doesn't appear after that.

Thanks guys! I will make sure they experience it, if they have any doubts.

When you do press the accelerator any harder than just a tap, it really shoots forward for a few seconds. In fact, I think I will pop in tommorrow, rather than wait a month.

Will let you all know of my experience.

Thanks guys! I will make sure they experience it, if they have any doubts.

When you do press the accelerator any harder than just a tap, it really shoots forward for a few seconds. In fact, I think I will pop in tommorrow, rather than wait a month.

Will let you all know of my experience.

I had similar issue on my car...and by cleaning egr valve it rectified. I dont know the reason behid it, but it certainly helped me. :thumbsup:

Also an ECU reset might help. Easy to do on your drive and will cost nothing.

I've found this helps iron out some hesitation on most cars.

Have not had a chance to arrange anything with the dealer yet.

Another question, which I may/may not be able to sort out at the same time.

When accelerating smoothly and lightly from say 20mph onward, I can hear a whine (rather like faint police sirens).

Is this normal?

Just tried to get my local dealer (had only one service done, but was impressed by level of service) to help put this issue to rest. The service person said he is happy to have car in again, but is likely to result in same diagnosis.

I then asked can I test drive a similar avensis or get service manager to come along with me, to which he replied "we can't let people drive our cars willy nilly, it is just not feasable". At which point I said, not to worry, I will try somewhere else! Not impressed.

Anyway booked it into another nearby dealer and will take car in on Wednesday.

Good luck with the dealer(s). The whine is probably just the turbo doing its stuff. I LOVE TURBOS!!!!

When accelerating smoothly and lightly from say 20mph onward, I can hear a whine (rather like faint police sirens).

Is this normal?

No its not normal.

My friend (Saab 9-3) had the same issue and after spending 30 minutes we discovered that one of the hose pipe had cracked. (I guess that was coming from intercooler).

As a result his car was giving jerks (ocassional) especially in 2nd gear. Also on higher rpms >2.5 there is strange noise like you described.

My advice would be, have a good look at pipes for cracks or openings.

Keep updating with the progress.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice.

Well went in to the other dealer and the technician drove it and came back to me because he could not replicate the fault. He drove it with me sitting in the passenger seat. Nothing. Then I said I will drive and try it, and to my frustration, I could not do it (I know I have learnt to avoid it, but it's so annoying not being able to show it when it matters).

I then said that I showed it to the original dealer and they found the problem, but said it was normal. To the technicians credit, he said if we found the problem we would have to let toyota know as it is a newish car.

We were driving in busy traffic with little opportunity to get up to speed and slow down (roundabouts are usually where it happens, as you slow down and then proceed as it is clear). I said I will try and note down the speed and rpm at which it happens from now on, and try and "show" them next time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links