Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 T180 Chip Upgrade - I Have The Power!

blue monster

Some of you will already know that I ordered a chip upgrade kit from Kingo a few weeks back - anyway today was the day that Lindops fitted it for me.

What do I thnk of it? Well, I took the long way home which incorporates some A roads and some dual carraigeway and pretty much laughed out loud the whole way home. :yahoo:

Very smooth power delivery with lots more power, no sudden woosh or surge and the car actually seems quieter.

All in all, well worth the money and I am glad that I listened to Big Kev :thumbsup:

Oh flippin ek don't tell him that, he'll be braggin to that wee fella across the street cos he thinks that Big Kev is the greatest guy in the universe.

Seems a bit wary of me for some strange reason.

Oh flippin ek don't tell him that, he'll be braggin to that wee fella across the street cos he thinks that Big Kev is the greatest guy in the universe.

Seems a bit wary of me for some strange reason.

....stickin' the heid on him for touching yer 74 volt drill from Sears & Co might have a bearing on his attitude towards foreign incomers, Anchs. Glad that the Blue Monster likes his chip, but be careful how ye use it or it COULD GET COVERED IN TOMATO SAUCE....gosh, how profound, what?

Big Guru Kev :lol:

Would help if You could tell us the claimed power gains and the cost of the unit Mate ?? Is it possible to DIY fit ?? and are there any gains in Real world MPG ??? If I'm honest Our T180 has enough stomp for what We use it for as the other car takes up the performance duties that We want.. The Rav will be doing multiple motorway trips up and down to the Midlands and will clock around 1100 miles per trip so the fuel gains are what is important to Me /Us ....... Cheers .....

Charlie.

Some of you will already know that I ordered a chip upgrade kit from Kingo a few weeks back - anyway today was the day that Lindops fitted it for me.

What do I thnk of it? Well, I took the long way home which incorporates some A roads and some dual carraigeway and pretty much laughed out loud the whole way home. :yahoo:

Very smooth power delivery with lots more power, no sudden woosh or surge and the car actually seems quieter.

All in all, well worth the money and I am glad that I listened to Big Kev :thumbsup:

Glad your pleased with it, mine is not a T180, but i had a huge grin when i left Lindop + accelerated on to the A55,ENJOY :thumbsup: Stew.. PS you may notice your MPG is much better on your OBC, don,t take that as gospil, you may get a SLIGHT increase in real terms after you have calmed down a bit, but do a brim to brim check first :yes:

Would help if You could tell us the claimed power gains and the cost of the unit Mate ?? Is it possible to DIY fit ?? and are there any gains in Real world MPG ??? If I'm honest Our T180 has enough stomp for what We use it for as the other car takes up the performance duties that We want.. The Rav will be doing multiple motorway trips up and down to the Midlands and will clock around 1100 miles per trip so the fuel gains are what is important to Me /Us ....... Cheers .....

Charlie.

Reputedly takes it from 178 to 218 bhp, Charlie, but most noticeable change is the extra "flexibility" you get from what seems to be much smaller throttle openings/gas pedal pressure....altogether a much smoother and grin inducing ride.

I got an extra brim/brim diesel increase of 4 mpg, but do not be misled....it can fair swallow the fuel if you play with the increased bhp. It seems like it would go up the side of a hoose in sixth gear.....no more changing gear to overtake.

It's interesting that BM noted "it seems quieter"....I noticed this from outset too.

Should you be tempted at any point, I will meet ye at The Kincardine Bridge and you can have a wee leather at mine.....I bet once tried, you will buy one. As far as fitting it yourself, it's just as well you're retired....it could take downwards of 15 whole minutes to do it....!!! Considering your use of that mind numbing route to Englandshire, The Emsix Motorway, I would not be without the Lindop Kingo Chippo Kitto (Registered Name....nah.)Much more relaxing journey.

Try before ye buy....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Sounds good Kev !! Been across the Kincardine today We went up to Lochearnhead and up to Glencoe. Great day out !!!

Right to the point.. How much is the Chip ? Is it a lug in box or a downloadable map ???

Sounds good Kev !! Been across the Kincardine today We went up to Lochearnhead and up to Glencoe. Great day out !!!

Right to the point.. How much is the Chip ? Is it a lug in box or a downloadable map ???

No comprendez that techy speak too well, Charlie, but it's a full blown ECU box one fits oneself in circuit with the injectifiers and other widgetness, and as for price, PM Kingo / Parts King hereon and he will reply within a reasonable time frame, or I will have him fired and told to go find a REAL job.....

Big Kev :lol:

No comprendez that techy speak too well, Charlie, but it's a full blown ECU box one fits oneself in circuit with the injectifiers and other widgetness, and as for price, PM Kingo / Parts King hereon and he will reply within a reasonable time frame, or I will have him fired and told to go find a REAL job.....

Big Kev :lol:

I asked for prices for other parts and got no reply...... I just went down to the local Toyota dealer and got Me stuff from there.. I will ask them on Monday if they can supply one.. Cheers Big Fella.

The chip kit is £375 and Lindops charged me £25 to fit it. I was more than happy for them to fit it for that price.

As Big Kev says 'It seems like it would go up the side of a hoose in sixth gear.....no more changing gear to overtake.'

Once I have finished playing with it I will see what it does on a tank of V-Power but I can honestly say that the T180 now performs like a steam train and I like it :thumbsup:

The chip kit is £375 and Lindops charged me £25 to fit it. I was more than happy for them to fit it for that price.

As Big Kev says 'It seems like it would go up the side of a hoose in sixth gear.....no more changing gear to overtake.'

Once I have finished playing with it I will see what it does on a tank of V-Power but I can honestly say that the T180 now performs like a steam train and I like it :thumbsup:

Right... Thanks for that. Sounds good. For Me if it gives a measurable improvement in economy it would be good but it will take along time to recoup the gains !! I'm happy enough with the power as it is its a workhorse for Me this car. If I want a quick drive I take the car... Thanks for the heads up though appreciate it. I will look at what else is on offer as there are quite a few Remappers up this way..

Right... Thanks for that. Sounds good. For Me if it gives a measurable improvement in economy it would be good but it will take along time to recoup the gains !! I'm happy enough with the power as it is its a workhorse for Me this car. If I want a quick drive I take the car... Thanks for the heads up though appreciate it. I will look at what else is on offer as there are quite a few Remappers up this way..

Take a look at the TUNIT boxes. They are amazing and have had great reviews. They cost about £485 off the site. But one just sold tonight on eBay for a Rav T-180 for £160. Well worth it as you have 9 setting to play with. Reduced emissions by 27% and give you 12% more mpg. :thumbsup:

The box I have on my car is the latest version from Kingo and has 9 settings on it - mine is currently set to 6 which is apparently is the best for for power & increased MPG.

The box I have on my car is the latest version from Kingo and has 9 settings on it - mine is currently set to 6 which is apparently is the best for for power & increased MPG.

So is it the usual TUNIT one Mate ????

I don't believe that it is a Tunit one, I will take a look tomorrow but I'm sure Kingo will be able to confirm.

Just had a look !! Your one will almost certailnly be the TUNIT box. As they have the 9 settings.. The good thing about them is You can take them off when You change the car. This of course You cant do with a typical Re map.. But I can get a normal Re map done on most cars by a Mate in Kirkcaldy . I'm not sure if He has the relevant files to flash My ECU though. I will find out on Monday . I dont want to spend a load on this car till I decide whether I'm going to keep it or not......

Charlie.

So is it the usual TUNIT one Mate ????

I think you'll find that the ones that Kingo sells comes from Germany. And the TUNIT boxs are made in good old England :toast:

The also have a 3 year warranty and come and an option of a drive train warranty, which I think that no other manufacturer comes with. And if you decided to change your car they have an exchange policy to. Great after sales service for 5 years an all!

I don't believe that it is a Tunit one, I will take a look tomorrow but I'm sure Kingo will be able to confirm.

As far as I can find on the tinternet only TUNIT ones have the 9 settings option. But I know Fark all about it Mate !!

KIRKCALDY ???? Has Gordon Broon diversified ?? :lol:

My tuning box from Kingo is NOT a Tunit box.

Remaps CAN be removed from the car if you have something like a Bluefin module, or a Rapid Remap pro box.

They store your original file, and allow you to save up to 2 different map files that you can swap and change at will.

You can also ask the remap dealer to put it back to standard if you want to, they should have a copy of the original file.

Sadly the Denso ECU's fitted to the 180 Toyota/Lexus are not remappable due to heavy encryption.

A tuning box is the only way to get the extra power from these engines, and they are easy enough to fit. You should be able to fit one in under 10 mins easily, and remove just as quick if you wanted to.

Well worth the money IMO and as good as any remap i have had on my previous cars :thumbsup:

eye.....

eye.....

You cannot re-map toyotas, no one has found a way to get in to the Denso unit, :yes: (trust me on this) Kingos unit is made in Germany, It may be available elsewhere but why bother, "Other Chips" have been known to cause the engine light to come on, My brother has a Tunit one on his 4.2, I am aware that its not the same vehicle, it took 3 attempts for them to get it right, he was told it would take them 20 mins to fit, it initially took 1 1/2 hrs and he had to go back twice as it was causing the engine to go in to limp mode, To be fair to "tunit" it may have highlighted that his SCVs needed doing, he had those done and i believe he is now very pleased with his Tunit chip + the fitting on the 4.2 is more difficult than the T180, Make your own choice but Kingos "chip" has now been on my XT4 for nearly 4yrs and has been totally fault free, :thumbsup: Stew

PS avoid the cheap ones available from £99 on eBay, I Tried one :no:

• Like 1

eye.....

You cannot re-map toyotas, no one has found a way to get in to the Denso unit, :yes: (trust me on this) Kingos unit is made in Germany, It may be available elsewhere but why bother, "Other Chips" have been known to cause the engine light to come on, My brother has a Tunit one on his 4.2, I am aware that its not the same vehicle, it took 3 attempts for them to get it right, he was told it would take them 20 mins to fit, it initially took 1 1/2 hrs and he had to go back twice as it was causing the engine to go in to limp mode, To be fair to "tunit" it may have highlighted that his SCVs needed doing, he had those done and i believe he is now very pleased with his Tunit chip + the fitting on the 4.2 is more difficult than the T180, Make your own choice but Kingos "chip" has now been on my XT4 for nearly 4yrs and has been totally fault free, :thumbsup: Stew

PS avoid the cheap ones available from £99 on eBay, I Tried one :no:

Agree further I could not, oh wise chauffeur of the rich and famous.

Yoda McGlinchy :lol:

If I'm completely honest all this talk of the fragility of this engine plus not wanting to endanger the extended warranty given again on this particular engine. I think I will sit on the fence on this one. I realise of course that The box can be easily removed in the event of engine problems arising BUT if that Denso unit is that complicated its possible that it will exhibit what has been taking place .........

Plus if the motor is a little on the fragile side then adding extra load as is unavoidable with these devices might just encourage the ******* to go bang !! Lastly at £375 quid which is actually a very good price from Kingo. Its going to take a while to recoup that coin. and that's if I can resist using the extra power that's been paid for.

I bought the Toyota as a long term workhorse as I've said.Now having read all the doom and gloom about the engine I will not be keeping this car outside of that extended warranty if that long.. If I had read about these problems I would have just bought something else.....

Charlie.

If I'm completely honest all this talk of the fragility of this engine plus not wanting to endanger the extended warranty given again on this particular engine. I think I will sit on the fence on this one. I realise of course that The box can be easily removed in the event of engine problems arising BUT if that Denso unit is that complicated its possible that it will exhibit what has been taking place .........

Plus if the motor is a little on the fragile side then adding extra load as is unavoidable with these devices might just encourage the ******* to go bang !! Lastly at £375 quid which is actually a very good price from Kingo. Its going to take a while to recoup that coin. and that's if I can resist using the extra power that's been paid for.

I bought the Toyota as a long term workhorse as I've said.Now having read all the doom and gloom about the engine I will not be keeping this car outside of that extended warranty if that long.. If I had read about these problems I would have just bought something else.....

Charlie.

Aye....that's the worst about car forums, Charlie....it's normally full of the things that go wrong, for which people seek help, which is not usually economically available to them from their dealer.

Never mind.....have a look at Volvo XC90 / Landrover / Range Rover forums, then ask a Maserati owner how often his car has been in for electrical faults, and now I will start a trend.....

AH REALLY LIKE MA CAR, SO MUCH SO AH BOUGHT ANURRA WAN....

Anybody else want to CHIP in and Cheer up Charlie......?

Big Kev :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links