Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Townace Replacing Tems Suspension

KeithIOW

Hi

My trusty 1990 Townace Royal Lounge (2WD) has leaking front suspension and the rears are tired too so could really do with new shocks all round.

The shocks are the TEMs type, and I will replace with these - if I can find any! Does anybody know of a source of these shocks or will I have to give my life savings to Toyota?

Failing the above, does anybody know of a conventional (non TEMS) after market shock that will fit? What size/fitting would I need? I know the Spacecruiser and some variations of the Townace were not TEMs so presumably there are shocks out there. Frustratingly, KYB list the Townace but have nothing linked to it on their site.

Finally, is it essential/advisable/optional to replace the coils at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

I pass this response from Toyota on out of interest:

"The price of TEMS shock absorbers are as follows, front £147.55 +20% vat

each (!) and the rears are £166 +vat each. The costs of non-TEMS shock

absorbers are a fraction of the price both front and back are apprx

£34.49+vat each. I can't advise you as to wether the non-tems units will

fit, this info just isn't available to me, however I have supplied non-tems

shocks to other tems equipped vehicles in the past, so I assume they will

fit, but alas no guarantee."

• 2 weeks later...

OK - might be getting somewhere here. Can get a set of four KYB Gas A Just shocks for £158 which is less than the price of one replacement TEMs shocker. The KYB part numbers are KG4652A and KG5463 and are listed for a 2WD Van Wagon with coil rears. All the reading I have done seems to suggest that these will fit a CR21 Townace - I will simply remove the tems motors - can anybody confirm or tell me otherwise?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge and bought them anyway - and what a difference! With the KYB Gas A Justs, the van rides smooth and true with improved handling and a real secure feel, especially over the potholed tracks that pass for roads on the Isle of Wight.

I was expecting the loss of TEMs to show itself on corners but the reality is that these shocks outperform (admittedly tired) TEMs shocks by a mile. Though never having run on a fresh set of TEMs shocks, I cannot imagine what they would do that these don't. I kept the old coils at the rear, which seem fine, but have also replaced the anti - roll bar bushes front and rear to keep everything tight and clonk free. Got the steering tracked yesterday (those potholes again) and the result is one very driveable van.

Got the shocks from Rock Auto and they're listed under Toyota 1989 Van Wagon - you'll have to import from the US but the unit price is good and offsets the postage. Delivery was within the week.

• 4 weeks later...

great where did you source the roll bar bushes plz as i need some my townace is creaking like mad

great where did you source the roll bar bushes plz as i need some my townace is creaking like mad

Off the shelf at my local Toyota dealers - about £6 each. Worth also checking all other suspension bushes for wear. Creaking can also be ball joints. Look for a blanking plate on the upper ball joint - this hides a thread (10mm if memory serve me but need to check that) into which a grease nipple can be screwed. Grease up.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Well I took the plunge and bought them anyway - and what a difference! With the KYB Gas A Justs, the van rides smooth and true with improved handling and a real secure feel, especially over the potholed tracks that pass for roads on the Isle of Wight.

I was expecting the loss of TEMs to show itself on corners but the reality is that these shocks outperform (admittedly tired) TEMs shocks by a mile. Though never having run on a fresh set of TEMs shocks, I cannot imagine what they would do that these don't. I kept the old coils at the rear, which seem fine, but have also replaced the anti - roll bar bushes front and rear to keep everything tight and clonk free. Got the steering tracked yesterday (those potholes again) and the result is one very driveable van.

Got the shocks from Rock Auto and they're listed under Toyota 1989 Van Wagon - you'll have to import from the US but the unit price is good and offsets the postage. Delivery was within the week.

what year is your van keith as mine is 1993 wondering if they will fit mine

Mine is a 1990, 2wd model with coil rears (some models have leaf springs at the rear) - yours, I guess, will be the facelifted model but still a CR21 so is fundamentally the same. I bought my shocks on the basis that the vehicle was a CR21 with coil rears, not on the model year so I see no reason that these shocks would not fit. The 4wd version and models with leaf spring rears will need different shocks. Hope this helps? Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I chime in here, as this seems to be just what I am looking for as well . .

I have an old F reg that needs entire new suspension, its a 1989 model 2wd / 2ct engine & cr21 frame, sounds like these KYB Gas A Justs will be just the ticket!

Just to check its the coils I will need with a 2wd drive yes? and my suspension is so far gone I will need 2 x stabiliser bar links for them as well. Do you think the ones on Rockauto (MEVOTECH Part # MK9232 {#K9232} Stabilizer Bar Link Kit) will work with the KYB's or can you recommend something that does ?

thanks!

Hi

The stabiliser link is listed for the same model on Rock Auto (the Van wagon) as the Gas A Justs, which also fit the CR21 therefore I cannot see why they would not be compatible. Check your van has coil rears (clearly visible). I did not replace my coils, just the shock absorbers. If your coils are tired or damaged they can be found online (Japarts stock them ).

post-83110-0-21969100-1315603478_thumb.g