Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.3 Engine Tone

webleymk3

They make some funny noises at times Norman. They are quite highly tuned diesels with a particular diesel knock that can sound quite harsh under certain loads. Probably nothing to worry about but take it to your local dealer for a listen if you are concerned. If they are remorely concerned they will rebuild the engine FOC.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• webleymk3

• El Bee

• anchorman

• Mistermena

Thanks Anchorman

Not concerned with my diesel engine. Just that after all my life driving petrol engine cars, the last a very sweet 1.6 vvt vauxhall, the tradional sound of a diesel gets some getting used to. Does intrude into the cabin at times.

Quite like the throaty note during acceleration, which i assume is from the exhaust.

• 2 weeks later...

All. Since having the rav my biggest gripe (apart from the awful 1st to 2nd gear change) is the engine tone. It sounds like a proper tractor!

I've become particularly interested in this as I was out in my father-in-laws Avensis which he tells me has the same engine and it was quiet and smooth - like I'd expect from a modern diesel engine.

Another comparison is against my brother's A4 which is a 2.0 diesel and is again quiet and smooth.

What's everyone's experience of their engine sound and how it compares to other diesels?

Thanks.

Web

Hi

I have a T180 and find it's the same

You proably will find the rough change from 1st to 2nd gear is down to the dual mass flywheel/clutch system on these cars

My friend has one and replaced the whole assembly with a standard type flywheel and clutch and solved this problem

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links