Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misty-Eyed Headlamps?

curriedb

Hi folks,

Noticed - just before my car's MOT - that the headlamp plastic on my 2003 model was starting to cloud over due to the effects of UV. Car passed OK...but I came across this info whilst looking for a cure (just in case!)

...might help someone out in the future and - if it fails - you can use up the tube on your teeth...so nothing lost!

Other toothpastes are available :rolleyes:

Dave C

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this, bit sceptical but low and behold it really works, took me around 20 min's a headlamp and they look like new. This really is a top tip!

• 9 months later...

Great tip but my Mrs wont be happy when she finds all her Trainer socks have gone missing! :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, wish I had came across this tip before I spent £13.99 yesterday on some headlight polish, but it did come with the remover, lint free cloths, wet and dry sandpaper for if it is really bad and scratched, and then the polish stuff to add after to keep it looking good and last longer. It took me about an hour to clean and alot did come off, and it is a vast improvement as mine were actually really going yellow and misty, but I think I will have to have another go as it still looks misty, so I just hope that the wet and dry paper will work on the rest of it. I hope it is not inside the headlamp itself as then that will mean buying new ones (which i'm sure won't be cheap, even second hand). But I think it will be good enough for an MOT the way they are now, as before I done it I could barely see driving at night, which was actually quite scary and i'm sure illegal :-(

Thanks for the tip though. It's amazing how cost effective things can work out just by reading up little things on a forum like this. So as of now I will certainly be loitering around reading up up on all these little tips and tricks to save me some cash, as it is surprising how all the small little jobs that still need doing can still start putting a dent in your wallet and soon adds up.