Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4D Loss Of Power

new to toyota

dont just jump on the egr band wagon.....i had a taxi in to sort exessive oil consumption lack of power on road test the turbo came on then it felt like the power had been shut off then it was back then off again......

so removed the engine(fitting new rings and pistons and shells)fitted new egr fitted new turbo slight play in shaft then rebuilt went on road test still the same!!!aawwww siht checked all stats on an active test all ok swapped fuel pump to make sure it wasnt that causing the fault road test........yip still the same!!!!

the fault!!!!!!!!dirt/jelly in the fuel pick up in the tank!!!!removed cleaned blew out all pipes rebuilt road tested..........pulled like a train

also if your egr blocks up you need an engine rebuild....it blocks due to burning oil..

did you have the ignition on when you unplugged the egr also make sure it is plugged in..

• 2 years later...

Hi 'I know it's been couple of years you had this issue ,could you please tell me ,how did u manage to solve it ??i have got same problem ,it looses power when it warms up ,when it cold it runs fine ,but when warms up wont go more then 40mph ,I have checked it with lots of mechanic ,few couldn't fine it ,took it to toyota dealer ,no error code was shown ,they charged me 210 pounds just for checking ,they changed the fuel filter ,but no different ,they suggested my diesel fuel injector pump got a problem ,so I replaced it by my local mechanic which costed me 700 pounds ,but nothing changed :(,I did everything ,but couldn't find it ,could you please help me ?how did u manage your ,

Many thanks

• 5 months later...

im sorry to say but it didn't on my car had it terra cleaned as well took the egr off and STILL full of crap

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

im having the same fault,car has been serviced,terra cleaned not losing any water or oil car has been to 2 garages no error codes egr has been off and cleaned (full of crap) turbo has been checked all ok ......at idle you can feel the car vibrate when you go try to put your foot down to overtake nothing no power this is in all gears I have to gently ease the power on and try not to give it lots of power

im at a real loss car is getting to the point of been undriveable

Hi all,

To start with, ormi,sorry, but if EGR gets stuck due to black stuff, it means to heavy foot when turbo isn't spooled therefore to much fuel, not enough air, thats the problem, thats why dpf or catalytic converters were invented.

As to a problem for other guys problems first all filters check and if diagnostics are done (not only error read) then look for injector compensation number if i remember it right it should be between -3 and +3 in both hot or cold, if it is over then injectors have to be replaced. Interesting to me is when foot down and no pull (lets say over 2000rpm) is there black smoke from tail pipe? If yes, something wrong with air supply (filters, turbo, airflow sensor (easy to clean), lambda (O2) sensor (it measures left air in exhaust gas and therefore adjusts air/fuel ratio)), maybe other stuff i didn't mentioned yet. If there is no black smoke, might be fuel supply problem, again filter, maybe cleaning tank, fuel pressure sensor, fuel pressure control valve ( when that was broken for me on BMW starting in cold weather was hell, also slightly longer crank in hot weather), try egr blanking. Also look for air leak in intake or exhaust systems, checking intake is possible with smoke machine or even cigarette smoke ( Scotty Kilmer on youtube shows how to do that), exhaust leak might mean faulty O2 sensor reading and messing air/fuel ratio. Also, if possible try one simple thing- 3rd-4th gear, 3000 rpm for 10 miles on motorway, might be badly cloged DPF causing this.

That's what i can think of. Most of these things i wrote can be checked by measuring resistance or computer diagnostics ( real one, not error read), but you need to know what are you looking for and unfortunatelly i don't have this info.

Mr.D

Hi all,

.....or even cigarette smoke ( Scotty Kilmer on youtube shows how to do that), exhaust leak might mean faulty O2 sensor reading and messing air/fuel ratio...............

O2 sensor...on D-4D...where is it?

Would you give link about Scotty Kilmer test on youtube?

Sorry, thought of every possible outcome and forgot that this is D4D.
Link to Scotty Kilmer:

Hope something will help and if it does let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Avensis 2.0D-4D 2004 136,000 started to lose power when warmed up.especially at motorway speeds. Dropping gears, and revving engine hard (lots of black smoke) would clear it for a while.140k Toyota dealer service did not trace issue. All filters & oil changed. No diagnostic error. Car given back in same condition, no difference.

At 50k new starter, 60k new front shock, 120k new Battery, 130k new clutch & other shock absorber. Not too bad, but latest issue not worth spending big bucks on. Car has been on a Toyota service plan since new.

Took delivery of Qashqai 1.6dci Tecna today. Joy! What Car June issue group test spot on! Self park works a treat.

Shame to leave Toyota after many years & 5 cars, but their Diesel engine strategy means you get previous generation Toyota or BMW Diesel engines which trail class leaders like Honda 1.6, Renault-Nissan 1.6 in so many ways. Rav-4 no real contender, dullard of the class, which is a shame. Qashqai a pleasure to drive compared to Rav, more responsive, economical & quieter. & British.

Hopefully Toyota will get their mojo back soon for building mainstream cars with a little more passion.

Avensis 2.0D-4D 2004 136,000 started to lose power when warmed up.especially at motorway speeds. Dropping gears, and revving engine hard (lots of black smoke) would clear it for a while

that's most likely to be egr valve, I cleaned mine at round 140,000 no problems touching 160,000 now.

Personally I think 1cd-ftv engine is a reliable set up.

To clean an EGR that is vaccum controlled rather than electrically, just soak it in a rich solution of washing up liquid and water for an hour or two or overnight. Rinse with a hose and it will be clean as a whistle. I have used this method using either W/U liquid or soap powder on exhaust valves, turbo charger nozzle rings, fuel injector nozzles,EGRs, cylinder heads and the bottom of the oven and it works every time without the use of fancy chemicals and any physical involvement. The soap just melts the carbon. It won't touch oil but you can use a drop of diesel for that.

• 1 year later...

I have had a similar experience. I bought my avensis D4D from an auction a few months ago. there was an engine management light on so I took it to a mechanic just to get a diagnostic, which came back as glow plug issue.I changed the glow plugs but still had power loss.

I then changed the fuel filter and removed the air filter just to check, still the same.

Took off the egr and gave it a good clean, put it back on success, management light went out, not a success, still had a power loss.

Have just disconnected the air flow sensor, still no luck.

I bout a can of egr spray and sprayed in to the turbo, still no luck.

the next step is taking off the turbo or injectors, unless someone has any other ideas as its now starting to get a bit pricey and don't really want to spend much more on it..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links