Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Filter Change

jayt13

Hey All,

I tried to change my OIl filter this morning but it doesnt seem to want come I have tried turning it clockwise and anti clockwise but still got anywhere. the tools i used where:

oil filter chain wrench and oil filter wrench is there anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance.

Hey,

I use one of these, the more pressure the tighter they grip, its good for confined spaces, but needs a 1/2" socket bar and handle.

Mclaw wrench

Alternatively, if stuck, use the screwdriver method, use a big one and carefully knock it straight through the body, side to side and then use it to lever/ unscrew.

I's also try spraying some WD40 around the seal where the filter mets the filter housing, and leave it for a while to work in! As said, be very careful if your goining to drive a screw driver through the filter.

Yeah I was thinking of putting some wd40 around it but i thought my wrench might start slipping if the wd40 goes everywhere

I love the screw driver method!!

I had to do that the first time I changed my oil. Make sure your car is nice and supported on axel stands and bricks before you start going all hardcore on it.

Luke

Yeah I was thinking of putting some wd40 around it but i thought my wrench might start slipping if the wd40 goes everywhere

Yer you would have to wipe up any over spray. An old mechanic once told me that if he had a poblem with getting an oil filter off after spraying it with WD40 he use to get some sand and put it on the filter so that the strap wrench had something to "Bite" into. Just a thought... I've never done it as mine have come off without to much problems :thumbsup:

Hey,

I use one of these, the more pressure the tighter they grip, its good for confined spaces, but needs a 1/2" socket bar and handle.

Mclaw wrench

these are the god i use them on hgv filters, if you can get a 3/8 drive one as its a bit smaller.

to stop it happening again when you put the new filter on rub some oil into the seal on the filter when your filling the new filter up :thumbsup:

screwdriver is of but if it dont work its even more hassle to get it off and the mess it causes!!!!

thanks guys i think ill have go and get myself a mclaw wrench tomorrow and see how it goes.

thanks for the tips

WD40 will not work, if it can penetrate under and around the seal then could you imagine what 60psi of oil pressure would do??

WD40 will not work, if it can penetrate under and around the seal then could you imagine what 60psi of oil pressure would do??

We are talking about such a small amout of oil to help release the seal that can be wiped away. It wont do any harm whatsoever.

We are talking about such a small amout of oil to help release the seal that can be wiped away. It wont do any harm whatsoever.

think you may have misunderstood mate. what he is saying is that if wd40 can penetrate the seal to help you release it then 60psi of oil pressure will easily blow past the seal when the engines running :thumbsup:

think you may have misunderstood mate. what he is saying is that if wd40 can penetrate the seal to help you release it then 60psi of oil pressure will easily blow past the seal when the engines running :thumbsup:

Oh right. I mis-understood the reply then :thumbsup: