Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Fuel Gauge Always Full (I Wish!)

salami

I have 2000 Yaris CDX, filled up the other day and have driven around 50 miles and the gauge is still full :unsure: (no movement, not even a decrease of one bar). What are the options please? All the other dials are working well. Thank you!

I have an Auris 1.33 and with a full tank I can go 160 miles before the first bar goes out... its normal. With a nearly empty tank the last few bars go out quickly. Its extremely non linear. Why they design them like this I do not know.

1 bar goes out for about each 1 gallon of fuel used - the Yaris mk1 holds 10 gallons, and the last (bottom) bar starts flashing when there is about 2 gallons left. Thats 7 segments for 8 gallons. As the 1.0 can do over 50mpg then I would not expect the top bar to dissappear until after about 50 miles or so - especially if you filled the tank right to the very brim. I would only be concerned if the top bar hadnt gone out after 75-90 miles.

When I fill the tank to the brim on my 1.3 the first bar usually goes after about 80/85 miles.

Don't worry about it !

my 1.0 did 75 miles before the 1st bar went last week

A few times my 1.3 TR can manage over 100 miles before the 1st bar goes out. On other days, around 80 miles.

Not very accurate, are they?

Though could be worse; When I had to put £10 of diesel in a Corsa which was showing low in fuel, the gauges didn't pick up that there was £10-worth of fuel in it!

sometimes the outside temprature can affect the reading, as the fuel will expand & contract.

I'm wondering what my guage is going to do in the next 100 miles. I've had my 1.33 just over a month. When the initial fuel went down, I filled the tank and reset everything. The "miles to go" figure at that stage showed 314 miles. I've since done 285 miles, and "miles to go" shows 98; I assume the rate at which this reduces slows down as mpg increases.

However, my main point is that the fuel guage still has four bars showing - are these going to quickly disappear one by one in the next 40 miles or so?

My mpg is shown as 53.1, mainly because most of my travelling has been on dual carriageways / motorways.

I'm wondering what my guage is going to do in the next 100 miles. I've had my 1.33 just over a month. When the initial fuel went down, I filled the tank and reset everything. The "miles to go" figure at that stage showed 314 miles. I've since done 285 miles, and "miles to go" shows 98; I assume the rate at which this reduces slows down as mpg increases.

However, my main point is that the fuel guage still has four bars showing - are these going to quickly disappear one by one in the next 40 miles or so?

My mpg is shown as 53.1, mainly because most of my travelling has been on dual carriageways / motorways.

The lower bars decrease at a quicker rate than the upper ones. Our Aygo does 100-120 miles on the first bar, around 60 on the second and then progressively less on each successive bar! Don't take the bars (or blobs as I've seen them called) as gospel, they aren't!

The lower bars decrease at a quicker rate than the upper ones. Our Aygo does 100-120 miles on the first bar, around 60 on the second and then progressively less on each successive bar! Don't take the bars (or blobs as I've seen them called) as gospel, they aren't!

I won't; I was planning to take the advice of filling up based on mileage, as modified by type of driving, but first i need to establish a "baseline". Somewhere around the 350 miles mark would be nice, since if I am getting around 50mpg, this would be about 7 gallons, leaving 2.5 in the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

I won't; I was planning to take the advice of filling up based on mileage, as modified by type of driving, but first i need to establish a "baseline". Somewhere around the 350 miles mark would be nice, since if I am getting around 50mpg, this would be about 7 gallons, leaving 2.5 in the tank.

An update to my previous post. I've just re-filled my tank to the cut-off point (I've been away on holiday, hence the time gap).

Trip mileage : 330

Miles to go : 59 (original value at last fill-up : 314 )

Indicated mpg: 52.3

Bars showing : 3

Fuel : 29.98

Equivalent to 6.6 gallons, or a fraction below 50mpg.

New 'miles to go' 329

I filled up at a different garage, so the cut-off points may be slightly different. However, it means that on a trip to Whitley Bay, I can do it with about 2.5 gallons to spare. A bit driving around up there, and I can fill up around 5p a litre cheaper for the return trip.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links