Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40K Service On A T180

mcroy313

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm what is actually carried out on 2006 T180 40,000mile service... I downloaded the service sheets and it states the following:

2006 Rav 4 40,000miles - 48 months

• Replace engine oil & oil filter
  • Rotate Tyres
  • Visually inspect brake pads / discs

I appreciate that my car is five years old so looking at the 54 & 60 month service sheets they state to inspect the ball joints, brake lines, drive shaft boots, engine coolant, rear diff oil, transfer case oil etc...

I got a quote from Lindop Bros (Toyota) for this service and they wanted £300! So I purchased the oil filter from Kingo (£10 ish) and some Morris Oil (£35 ish) and have changed that myself. What else do they do to justify £300???

Many thanks

Tom

I've certainly got interest in this. I was quoted £360 all in from the local Toyota dealership for my 2007 2.2 Diesel.

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm what is actually carried out on 2006 T180 40,000mile service... I downloaded the service sheets and it states the following:

2006 Rav 4 40,000miles - 48 months

• Replace engine oil & oil filter
  • Rotate Tyres
  • Visually inspect brake pads / discs

I appreciate that my car is five years old so looking at the 54 & 60 month service sheets they state to inspect the ball joints, brake lines, drive shaft boots, engine coolant, rear diff oil, transfer case oil etc...

I got a quote from Lindop Bros (Toyota) for this service and they wanted £300! So I purchased the oil filter from Kingo (£10 ish) and some Morris Oil (£35 ish) and have changed that myself. What else do they do to justify £300???

Many thanks

Tom

Don't be so selfish.... someone has to pay for PKs pies !!

Most dealers charge what some people see as a high hourly labour charge. One hears stories of £70 an hour to £120 an hour.

Think yerself lucky - we got the local Renault dealer to take our truck for an MOT and they charged us £120 an hour just for the driver to sit about whilst the VOSA guys did their bit. :eek: :eek:

I thought the 40k service was a lot more involved - brake fluid/air filter/rear diff/transfer oil change etc. you have listed the 10/30/50k service interval - but I may be very wrong :eek:

Gus

I thought the 40k service was a lot more involved - brake fluid/air filter/rear diff/transfer oil change etc. Gus

Correct.

I thought the 40k service was a lot more involved - brake fluid/air filter/rear diff/transfer oil change etc. you have listed the 10/30/50k service interval - but I may be very wrong :eek:

Gus

Hmmmm, that was my initial thoughts but the sheets I downloaded from a toyota site do not state that... On the 50000mile it states that an inspection should be carried out on the fluids / oils - does 'inspect' mean change them???

I'll give Lindops a call tomorrow and ask them for a breakdown of everthing that will be changed...

atb Tom

Mine is booked in to William A Lewis` on the 13th of this month,for a FULL 60,000 / 4 years service,+ MOT.

Cost of service is £295,MOT is £45.MOT is cheaper if done at the same time as service.List of jobs as follows:

Environmental charge.£5

Oil Filter Kit. £8.17

Screenwash. £0.89

Brake Fluid. £8.92

Gasket/Drainplug. £0.88

Handy Lube. £2.88

Injection Cleaner. £11.00

Mobil Super 3000 F-P£50.40

Mobil G/Box Oil 75 £22.83

Mobil G/Box Oil 80 £5.91

VAT £49.18

Do not know how long the job will take,so no idea of labour charges,+ vat.

I have just taken the 2 year Toyota extended warranty,after the initial first year given with the purchase of the vehicle.So obviously the car has to be properly serviced at the correct intervals,so as not to invalidate the Toyota warranty.Fortunately the odd numbered years services are not quite so expensive.

Just completed a 339 mile journey,with the spare wheel onboard,filled up,checked mpg.40.77,so very happy with that!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Gus

Hmmmm, that was my initial thoughts but the sheets I downloaded from a toyota site do not state that... On the 50000mile it states that an inspection should be carried out on the fluids / oils - does 'inspect' mean change them???

I'll give Lindops a call tomorrow and ask them for a breakdown of everthing that will be changed...

atb Tom

Did you get a breakdown of costs + what is actually done as mine is also due very shortly? Thanks Stew... PS mines not a T180 but i assume same service costs.

Did you get a breakdown of costs + what is actually done as mine is also due very shortly? Thanks Stew... PS mines not a T180 but i assume same service costs.

Not exactly.... Things have moved on a little...

My car is booked into Lindops on mon 20th for new pistons, injectors & egr valve to be fitted under warranty so I've asked them to work out a price to carryout the 40,000mile service at the same time as it will be in for three days...

They did confirm that the service 'is a big one' and includes airfilter, trasmission oil, engine oil & filter etc... But they will be able to considerably reduce the cost of it as some of the work is necessary for the warranty work...

I'll get the price and breakdown from them when i book it in...

atb Tom

I don't know what handy lube is for £2.88 - the mind boggles :rolleyes:

It's for lubing your handies of course :rolleyes:

Well spotted Dav ..................................

you cant rotate the tyres on a rav 4 t180 due to the tyre pressure sensors..

Ormi...would the only (minor) downside of tyre rotation not be that the Monitoring System will be fooled into giving you wrong "corner" as being at fault/deflated...? Then you would just check them all visually, and if you can't tell which is soft / flat, then you should really be in the house / home....? To your Toyota superiornessity as usual I bow.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Just read Anchorman's post today, and was half way through typing my reply, when I read this, Davrav...total carbon copy of what ah was typing. Just cannot decide who should blame who....? All else apart, for what reason would one require lubricated handies.....? Must go....eyesight failing....

Big Kev :lol:

Nonsense. I rotated mine without any problems and the sensors and warning system still worked as they should.

If there's a flat, then you get a warning message. But it doesn't tell you which tyre is flat - it's just one general warning - so it doesn't matter what corner a tyre sensor is on, you'll be warned and then you need to get out and visually check them or put a gauge on a tyre to find the depressurised one.

If Mr T is doing the repair, he will want to know what sensor is supposed to be registered with each corner - but it still doesn't matter because the swings-and-roundabouts of it all (try explaining that to Igoramus :thumbsup: ) is that it's a general warning system and not sophisticated enough to specify the actual deflated tyre.

• Like 1

Will discover the answer to this when I pick up the car after it`s service/mot.All will be revealed.

To the uninitiated,Handy Lube is the can of gunk (anti seize), that is sprayed onto door latches,window mechanisms & other moving parts,during servicing.

Smashin'....ah consider myself initiated forthwith and fifth without.

We are now fully serviced (60,000),MOT`d & Handy Lubed to perfection.At least for another year.Was informed of slight side wall cracking on the rear tyres,probably still the originals,& rear disc`s slightly corroded.Rear disc`s & pads approx.70% worn.How much does a rear end disc`s & pads replacement cost?I`m open to offers.

I think I could get the pads and discs for about £90.

Thanks for the quick reply Anch`s,need to get a quote from Mr T first,then scout around.Not too much of a rush at the moment.

Ormi...would the only (minor) downside of tyre rotation not be that the Monitoring System will be fooled into giving you wrong "corner" as being at fault/deflated...? Then you would just check them all visually, and if you can't tell which is soft / flat, then you should really be in the house / home....? To your Toyota superiornessity as usual I bow.

it could flags up the warning light as it thinks all sensors are broke also for fooled in too wrong corner..it wont even be able to read the sensors ...so yes you could just look at the tyres but could you put up with the bright warning light on your dash.

Nonsense. I rotated mine without any problems and the sensors and warning system still worked as they should.

If there's a flat, then you get a warning message. But it doesn't tell you which tyre is flat - it's just one general warning - so it doesn't matter what corner a tyre sensor is on, you'll be warned and then you need to get out and visually check them or put a gauge on a tyre to find the depressurised one.

If Mr T is doing the repair, he will want to know what sensor is supposed to be registered with each corner - but it still doesn't matter because the swings-and-roundabouts of it all (try explaining that to Igoramus :thumbsup: ) is that it's a general warning system and not sophisticated enough to specify the actual deflated tyre.

oh yes it is!!! not on your dash but to a toyota tec with the tester plugged in to the computer it tells you the exact pressure of each tyre...each tps has a code and these codes are matched to each corner so you move the tyres about you move the codes then when the computer looks for that code on that corner it cant find it.....also if it doesnt show a fault lets say 1=o/s/f 2=o/s/r 3=n/s/r 4=n/s/f so you move your tyres now no light comes on you drive for 6 months then you get a faulty sensor computer shows fault with o/s/f tps we replace that sensor oh i hear you say the lights still on thats because the o/s/f tps has been moved oh well thats £200 you wont see again!!

i'll post up tec sheets like i had to do last time....

oh yes it is!!! not on your dash but to a toyota tec with the tester plugged in to the computer it tells you the exact pressure of each tyre...each tps has a code and these codes are matched to each corner so you move the tyres about you move the codes then when the computer looks for that code on that corner it cant find it.....also if it doesnt show a fault lets say 1=o/s/f 2=o/s/r 3=n/s/r 4=n/s/f so you move your tyres now no light comes on you drive for 6 months then you get a faulty sensor computer shows fault with o/s/f tps we replace that sensor oh i hear you say the lights still on thats because the o/s/f tps has been moved oh well thats £200 you wont see again!!

i'll post up tec sheets like i had to do last time....

I've seen the tech sheets.

It only matters to a Toyota tech if there's a sensor problem. And the easy thing to do is paint on the inside of the wheels where they were originally arranged, before rotating them.

But it doesn't stop you rotating your wheels without any problems. You'll still get a warning if it deflates, and then you go out and check visually/ with a gauge.